Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I should be studying...

Rim recommendations?

I am building a new of 29er wheels. I had my old Chris kings rebuilt and I have decided to god with sapim spokes. I was planning using the Stans Arch or Crest 29er rims, any other suggestions out there?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Maybe consider the WTB Frequency i23?

mtbr member
    WTB i19 TCS would be more comparable to the Crest or Arch EX rims weight wise. Might also look at the Pacenti TL28 if you want wide and light.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm riding on a set of Stan's Arch rims. I like them...

I should be studying...
    That pacenti looks nice... That may be the way I go. How do they work tubeless compare to the arch?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got i23s on my bike. My son has an i19 on the rear of his bike.

Super happy with both models. Very firm rim/tire lock up. Very low pressures are possible. Overall I prefer the 23 just because it presents such a wide footprint to the ground and has so much volume. But if you're counting grams the 19 is obviously lighter.

ballbuster
    I might add the Light-Bicycle cheap Chinese Wide carbon 29er rim. I got a set and am more than happy with them. They are sub 400 grams, nice and wide, stiff as heck and I suspect strong. Although, I have less than 250 miles on them, but I do feel way more confident on rocky, tetchy stuff. The bike goes where I point it. So far, I believe they are way tougher than the other XC grade rims (475g kinda range) rims I've owned.

Iirc, the going rate is like $170 each landed in the States, and you gotta wait like 2-4 weeks for them.... But worth it.

I also dig my Sun Inferno 23s. Bonus points for being super cheap at like $45 each, and the LBS can get them from QBP. I like them more than the Crest noodle rim I had.

mtbr member
    The Pacentis work every bit as well as the Arch does tubeless. I just had a set of wheels built for my SS using the TL28. So far, so good. They seem to be very nice hoops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Velocity Blunt SL? Builds a very nice wheel, with the added benefit of a wider rim.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Good luck in your quest. I'm on the same search as you. The one thing I have learned so far while trying to determine which wheel is best for me by asking others. Everyone is different. hahahahaha

Each person I talk to gives you a slightly different answer. Stans Arch EX seem to be the baseline when it comes to a wheel in this price range. Its the tried, tested and true model from what I gather. Then you have all these other rims Pacentis, WTB, Ringles etc...

You truly need to ask yourself what is your goal for these wheels.
    Weight being number one?
    Stength?
    Width?

Best thing for your situation, you got a great set of hubs already. If your going for weight loss,
    Id seriously look into those chinese carbon wheels. You could get a wider rim and still shave a lot of weight.

Mind you Stan's from what I hear has excellent customer service should any issues arise. I'm not saying the chinese carbon company doesnt but there in China so that's gotta affect things in some way.

FWIW I'm thinking bout going Arch EX's, not the lightest I could get (crest even lighter) but for my weight, riding style I think they will provide me with exactly what I want. I bit of a mix of strength, weight savings (compared to stock), tubeless setup and best of all easy of the bank compared to others. Plus just google them, theres so many reviews on these wheels.

My .02 cents

I should be studying...
    who did you have build your wheels? I think I've pretty much decided on the TL28 rims, I don't know of any builder that uses them. I'm thinking of lacing them with sapim cx-rays.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had a pair of arch rims built up for me and i will not be doing that again! I was warned by a few wheel builders that since all stans rims don't have eyelets you can not tension the spokes as high as a traditional rim with eyelets so strength can be an issue. I had them build up with double butted spokes and brass nipples for durability.
    The important thing about my dislike is this.

I am riding them on a Hardtail, weigh 190 pounds, usually ride 5 days a week and come from a motocross background and tend to brake lots of stuff. I don't pick bad lines much but when i do........

I think you need to evalauate what your are going to be using them for and what type of rider you are and then you will have a better idea what rim will work best for you.

I have hear great things about the wtb i23 and i think that will be my next rim to try

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I had a pair of arch rims built up for me and i will not be doing that again! I was warned by a few wheel builders that since all stans rims don't have eyelets you can not tension the spokes as high as a traditional rim with eyelets so strength can be an issue. I had them build up with double butted spokes and brass nipples for durability.

I am riding them on a Hardtail, weigh 190 pounds, usually ride 5 days a week and come from a motocross background and tend to brake lots of stuff. I don't pick bad lines much but when i do........

I think you need to evalauate what your are going to be using them for and what type of rider you are and then you will have a better idea what rim will work best for you.

I have hear great things about the wtb i23 and i think that will be my next rim to try
    So are you saying you taco'd your Arch's? I have read about the lack of eyelets on the Arch's which in a perfect world I would like them to have. I've not heard too many negative reviews on the Stan's, for an XC rider who is concerned with weight/durability I thought these were the rims for me. Not as light as the Crest, but stronger. Lighter then the Flow's but weaker.

I should be studying...
    I ride in Michigan, so nothing huge, biggest drops I go off of are 2 feet at best. I weigh 155 lbs. but still tend to be pretty hard on my gear. I ride a giant XTC composite hardtail and consider my an "aggressive XC rider". I will probably get back into racing this year. That being said, I tend to favor a little extra stiffness over super light weight. I think the Pacenti's will fit the bill, another wheel set built up with Crests maybe in my near future. Can anyone recommend a builder?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    The e-wheelbuilders who get mentioned most on mtbr are mikesee and Chad at Redbarn cycles.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I did not taco them but they come out of true very easily. I have never crashed on them or aired them out they just won't stay true. Frustrating!!!

The same guy built me some Salsa semi rims and they stayed true until the day i sold them. That was two years of abuse. Too bad i could not set them up tubeless and they weighed a ton

Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    So are you saying you taco'd your Arch's? I have read about the lack of eyelets on the Arch's which in a perfect world I would like them to have. I've not heard too many negative reviews on the Stan's, for an XC rider who is concerned with weight/durability I thought these were the rims for me. Not as light as the Crest, but stronger. Lighter then the Flow's but weaker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I weigh the exact same as you, with the exact same background. I've had the same problems with the Arch EXs. Stan's has been great and rebuilt them, but I don't think that they are for me.

Oddly, I have a set of Black Flags that are similar to the old Arch's, but with eyelets and they have held up just fine. I even had a bad pedal strike throw my foot into the rear wheel and completely detension a spoke (this was at high speed too). Tighened it up, trued it a little. Been good as new since.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Nooooo why are you guys doing this to me. I found a pair of older Stans Arch's with hope hubs. Pretty fair price too. I was going to buy them but now I'm thinking maybe not.

So thus far thats 2 not for stans?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Like most products here on mtbr, most people will recommend vs not recommend. i have seen a lot of my buddies throttle stans rims. A few have upgraded to flows where others have had great luck with the wtb i23.

How much is he asking for the hopes? I have a backup wheel set that i have ridden 15-20 times that i need to sell. King hubs on arch rims with straight gauge spokes and brass nipples.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Like most products here on mtbr, most people will recommend vs not recommend. i have seen a lot of my buddies throttle stans rims. A few have upgraded to flows where others have had great luck with the wtb i23.

How much is he asking for the hopes? I have a backup wheel set that i have ridden 15-20 times that i need to sell. King hubs on arch rims with straight gauge spokes and brass nipples.
    check your PM

mtbr member
    I am loving my Velocity P35's...
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Do the pacentis TL28 come in white? I was set on getting the flow ex rim but all these opinions really make me second guess my choice! I have a new set of hadley ss hubs and I am trying to find the best choice for rims. To me, it sounds like the flow ex is a solid rim for alot of different terrains and a bigger rider! The TL28 sounds like a great rim with eyelets but does not appear to come it white. What about getting a cheap rim and calling it a day!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Be aware that rim choice can limit your tyre choice. I've had Maxxis Icons on my Arch Ex with no problems. Recently I was finding them too delicate for the winter so I tried to fit a Specialized Storm 29er on the rim. After heroic struggles, there was just no way as the Arch EX was just too tight and the tyre bead would not stretch.

I've got the older design 355 rims on my 26" Flux and they work just fine with Storm Controls (both with and without tubes). I've also had a 26" Arch wheel in the past with no trouble, so I've decided to swap out my 29er Arch Ex rims for the previous Arch design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Be aware that rim choice can limit your tyre choice. I've had Maxxis Icons on my Arch Ex with no problems. Recently I was finding them too delicate for the winter so I tried to fit a Specialized Storm 29er on the rim. After heroic struggles, there was just no way as the Arch EX was just too tight and the tyre bead would not stretch.
    That's one of the reasons I can't recommend Stan's rims any more. It seems that one of the reason's it works is an extremely tight bead fit. So tight it can drastically change wheel tension. So tight that I'm pretty sure my wife and kids could not dismount the tire to put in a tube by the side of the trail. I really think the stan's is a band-aid system who's time has past.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post

I've got the older design 355 rims on my 26" Flux and they work just fine with Storm Controls (both with and without tubes). I've also had a 26" Arch wheel in the past with no trouble, so I've decided to swap out my 29er Arch Ex rims for the previous Arch design.

Hmm, not a big fan of this! The stans are priced so well tho, and the reviews are way more positive then negative. But I will say of the reviews I read most of them are at least a year old so I can understand your tire issue, as technology changes very quickly.

Ya'll make it very hard to find a rim and stick to it. For every 5 good reviews I read someone then comes up with a negative one that makes me second guess myself, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast