mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Which Rigid Steel Fork?

I am thinking about replacing my Manitou Tower Expert fork with a rigid steel fork. I have it narrowed down to a couple but not sure about how the dimensions will affect the handling. The Manitou Tower Expert fork I have now has 100mm of travel, 48mm rake and a crown to axle of 510mm. The two forks I'm looking at are:

Salsa Cromoto Grande: 468mm axle to crown, 43mm rake

Soul Cycles Dillinger: 485mm axle to crown, 45mm rake

I am a Salsa fan and have heard good things about the Cromoto...it's also a bit lighter. But I am afraid the shorter crown/axle measurement is going to make my bike handle funky...My bike (Jamis Dragon 29) has a steepish 72 degree head tube angle to begin with. Is the Cromoto likely to make the handling too twitchy? Or should I stick with the Dillinger since it's closer to the Tower's measurements?

Kind of new to this 29er think so not sure how this works...thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Whats your sagged atoc? Is 72 HA Sagged?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Whats your sagged atoc? Is 72 HA Sagged?
    Not sure...Manitou recommends 15mm of sag (I think) which would put the crown height at 195 or so. 72 is the head angle from the Jamis website...assume it would be unsagged?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you do not know these things it is pretty hard to pick or match handling characteristics by guessing the fork length and rake. Harbor freight sells a cheap angle finder or use a Iphone app and get a buddy to measure your fork atoc and angle with you on the bike. If you like the way your bike handles with the manitou try to duplicate it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomatic73 View Post
    Not sure...Manitou recommends 15mm of sag (I think) which would put the crown height at 195 or so. 72 is the head angle from the Jamis website...assume it would be unsagged?
    510-15 equals 495? Most likely the Jamis number is sagged , because unsagged would be pretty steep sagged. The other thing to consider is BB height in picking the fork you want as how you arrive at the trail you desire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    510-15 equals 495? Most likely the Jamis number is sagged , because unsagged would be pretty steep sagged. The other thing to consider is BB height in picking the fork you want as how you arrive at the trail you desire.
    Sorry...yes, 495 sagged. Guess I could email Jamis to confirm the measurements on their website. The Tower fork has lock-out so I could ride it locked and get an idea of the handling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Surly Krampus fork would be another option, almost identical numbers to the Dillinger fork (including price) and it clears a Knard tire.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd just go with the Salsa fork. Keep in mind that when you are riding with front suspension, the fork doesn't stay at the sagged height, it is constantly compressing and dropping below that level. The difference in handling between the two rigid forks will be minimal. I once swapped out two different rigid forks with a difference of 20mm in A-C on back-to-back rides and was surprised at how little the handling actually changed.

Professional Crastinator
    15mm sag on a 100mm fork = 15%

Isn't sag supposed to be ~25%?
    (just asking)

If you want a 500mm fork, the VooDoo Zombie 500 (47mm OS) is the ticket. They are heavy, though.
    I think there is a 490mm carbon White Bros. rigid fork now as well.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

squish, squish in da fish
    I 2nd voodoo 500. They're cheap but are not very light. I run one on my commuter, giant talon. I pay no attn to sag and could care less if I gain or lose a degree. I own a tower also and you can't setup that fork according to sag or you will OTB every ride due to brake dive. Sag means get it in the ballpark for settings then tweak from there.