mtbr member
    May 2006

Rigid Steel Fork with 1.5 inch steerer?

Has anyone ever heard of a rigid steel 29er fork with a wider steerer tube that would only fit in a 44mm head tube? I'm really interested in this, because I've noticed the alloy tapered head tube on a suspension fork that widens to 1.5 on the bottom really makes a huge difference to me in steering precision. I'd love to get the same benefits on a rigid steel fork by just making the whole steerer tube 1.5 inch diameter. Does this is exist?

Even if no one manufacturers this, I'd guess you could get one custom made, if anyone makes steel tubing that would work in that diameter. However, I'm also not sure if anyone makes a top part of a headset that would work with the wider steerer in a 44mm head tube (for the bottom part of the headset, it seems the same parts designed for tapered steerers would work). Also, finding a stem that fits could also be an issue. What about the Cannondale Lefty steerers - are those the same diameter as the bottom of a tapered steerer?

Anyway, anyone ever heard of anything like this, or do I just need to stick with a carbon rigid fork if I want a larger bottom steerer diameter?

mtbr member
    There are plenty of rigid forks with tapered steerers, but for a 1.5" steerer, you'd probably need to go custom, Walt Works comes to mind...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    There are plenty of rigid forks with tapered steerers...
    Right, but no steel ones right? I've never heard of a tapered steel steerer tube. My goal is not specifically 1.5 non-tapered steerer, but just a full steel rigid fork that has the steering accuracy and stability of a tapered steerer fork. If you can make a tapered steel steerer tube, that'd be great, but my understanding of steel tubing is that such a thing doesn't exist. Hence my idea of just have a large diameter steel steerer tube.

Custom would be great, as long as it's possble to find a headset and stem that work.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ70 View Post
    Does this is exist?
    Nope
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Do you really need it on a rigid fork? Steering is normally much better than a sus fork anyway, although I can't talk as I am getting a tapered ti fork made now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Can you say Anchor. I think no one offers a steel 1.5" steerer cause it would weigh a ton. I'd call Walt or James at black sheep and talk. They would help.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO