Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Rigid beating me up

I have a Raleigh XXIX, I am looking at ways of reducing the shock to my hands/arms. It is a non suspension corrected frame. Can I fit suspension forks or are the some different bars/grips I could try.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ergon grips help your hands. What year is it? Current model shows a suspension fork on Raleigh's site and it says the 2011 fork is suspension corrected. Can you provide any more info? What kind of riding are you doing? Have you had the bike fitted? What psi are you running?
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Is there a whole lot of space between the top of the front tire and the crown of the rigid fork. Like 3 or four inches perhaps? Let us know.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Have you tried playing with tire pressures?
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have a rigid bike when I switched to a fat 2.4 ardent and some carbon alt bars it made all the difference in the world I run the front with about 25 psi

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Play with tire pressure, experiment with gloves and grips, try a larger volume tire, try a carbon bar, or even try a carbon fork.
    Signature

Sawyer Gnome
    I'm very comfortable on my stock forked ('07) XXIX with ESI Chunky grips and 23-25psi in the 2.35 ExiWolfs. I do make it a point to ride loose with my hands. The only time I really have issues is super long washboard like downhills where a little numbness is just kind of inevitable.
    Raleigh XXIX

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I have been riding rigid for ever and you have to learn to get off the back of the bike and manual or un-weight to get over stuff, If your riding with flat bars and hovering over them too much of your weight is forward.

Shorter stem, Big Fat front tire at least, and Big Fat rear tire also will help, Oury grips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It does not have much clearance between tyre and fork, much less than my friends later model. Exiwolf 2.3's run at 25lb. Quite hard grips, padded gloves.

mtbr member
    Another vote for tire pressure and size. My Kona Unit came with 2.1" Maxxis Ignitor at around 35psi, and going down to 28psi made it whole lot more comfortable. Then I went with 2.35" Panaracer Rampage, and it made a lot of difference.

And like many have said, body positioning / weight shifting while riding, as well as staying loose at knees and elbows and using them to absorb as much pounding as possible will help.

As for adding front fork, I would send an email to the manufacturer and ask them. I know some manufacturers of rigid bikes recommend 80mm (or even 100mm) fork as it will preserve the bike's geometry.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Murf99, what sort of Carbon bars?

mtbr member
    This might not be popular to say, but all that stuff will only help a little bit. I can hear everyone now shouting B.S., but if you're comparing to a suspension fork, the extra 1/4" of travel gained with a big, low pressure tire will only be a small improvement. I have tried big tires, wide carbon bars, soft grips, etc. and they do help, but only incrementally. I am not trying to be a wet blanket, just trying to give realistic expectations.

When the going gets rough, you need to bend your elbows and knees and absorb the bumps as smoothly as possible. You will also have to slow down a bit in rough conditions, compared to a bike with suspension.

With all that said, I do like the occasional ride on a rigid bike. Actually, I ride one quite a bit, if you count my cx bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie65 View Post
    Murf99, what sort of Carbon bars?
    Origin 8 space bar . I've been using alt bars for the last year or so and these are by far my favorite

http://www.jbimporters.com/web/check...t_number=34114

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    OP you need to measure the axle to crown length of your rigid fork. This measurement is taken from the bottom of the lower headset bearing race down to the axle. Once you have that measurement you can figure out if a suspension fork will work for you. You'll be able to guess how much the handling will change too. Sorry, I should have suggested it earlier.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Ovaries on the Outside
    It is a ****ing rigid fork. A carbon fork is a rigid fork. Carbon handlebars don't make up for suspension. 1/4" tire changes is not going to change hand numbness.

Maybe sell the bike and get something that has travel. Your fork is probably 430mm, so you are boned for travel.

mtbr member
    There is no replacement for a suspension fork, but there are things you can do to make it easier on your hands.

Alt bars with a large amount of back sweep tend to put your arms in a position to absorb bumps better. I'm running Titec J-Bars (Jones design) with a 45 degree sweep and it makes a HUGE difference over standard 8 degree sweep bars. Also being able to have multiple hand positions on these bars makes a big difference as well for hand fatigue. I know the Titec bars are no longer made, but Jones has the aluminum Loop bars becoming available soon which might be worth looking at.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

cowbell
    One of my bikes is a rigid bike, and I run the same front tire you do. There are a lot of little things you can do that all help some, but as mentioned, if you really want to stop taking a beating you need to get something with a suspension fork. That's why my other ride is full squish, because some days you couldn't pay me take the beating a rigid bike dishes out. Prior to owning the FS bike, I'd ride anyway, because I wanted to, but sometimes the third ride in a week was painful. Now it's only painful if I want it to be. If you simply can't afford another bike, or can't bear to part with this one, by all means, get carbon bars and fluffy grips. They will help, some. But if you really want to fix it, get another bike.

mtbr member
    Rigid isn't for everyone. Like folks have said, big tire, big grips, low pressures help, but like umarth said, it's still rigid. If the previous don't get you to wear you want to be (A tire and grips are cheap), then look into selling your bike for something else. The older XXIX is not setup for a suspension fork if I recall correctly

Spandex Ninja
    Low pressure and alt bars have helped me, but the biggest factor for me is body positioning and riding style. You may need to use more "body language" in your riding (looser grip, unweight the front end, get behind the seat, etc). I came from a suspension (hardtail) background (hadn't ridden rigid since the early 90's), and it took me probably six months to relearn the right style for riding rigid on technical trails. Now that I have the technique, it doesn't feel any more punishing than riding a HT to me. I prefer rigid SS for the type of riding I do, but I can see the value of suspension, especially if you are doing big epic rides.

mtbr member
    Get a bigger front tire, and drop the psi as low as you dare go. Short stem, wide bars, rock out!

Someone mentioned ergos, and while I like how they feel, they make my wrists hurt after about 2-3 hours of riding? But that could just be me.,
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the same bike so I feel your pain. You can improve the ride considerably but like most of the other people here have said it will always be a rigid bike. Here's what I did to take the sting out of the ride.

1) Small diameter handelbar (25.4) made the biggest difference in ride quality for me. What I ended up using was an easton EC70 bar and stem combo.

2) Convert your tires to tubless. You can run lower tire pressure for a smoother ride + you get better cornering/climbing traction as a bonus.

3) I added a carbon fork. General ride quality was about the same. The benefit to this was that the lighter weight made it easier to lift the front end over bigger hits.

4) I also changed grips and added a larger tire but considering the stock tire was a 2.3 going to a 2.4 didn't give me a noticeable improvement.

90% of the ride improvement came from the bar/tubless conversion so I'd start there.

Mole

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie65 View Post
    I have a Raleigh XXIX, I am looking at ways of reducing the shock to my hands/arms. It is a non suspension corrected frame. Can I fit suspension forks or are the some different bars/grips I could try.
    yes you could put a fork on it,The benefit from suspension will probably outweigh the change in geometry. find a used 80mm reba.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    1) Aluminum frame are like granite, if you are going to ride a hardtail go with steel.
    2) Big tires are a must, I started with Maxxis ignitors (2.1) and went to Schaulbe Racing Ralphs (2.5) . the difference is astounding.
    3) Get a shock seat post.
    4) Get thicker grips.
    stl 29 htail: Tru 3.3 stylo 180mm. WB 135/20mm, sram X-9. Schw RR. Hayes Trail 203mm, hbars spank777

B.Ike
    Learn to manual. Getting comfortable lofting the front wheel (even if its only a couple of inches) will smoothen out your ride. Oh, and pick better lines.

mtbr member
    gloves........
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast