Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Riding rigid on the East coast? What's your favorite front tire?

If you ride rigid on East coast trails (specifically mid-Atlantic to northeast), I'm curious what your all time favorite front tire is. I'm talking about year round good traction on roots, rocks, logs, narrow twisty off-camber stuff in all the conditions that this area throws at us from summer dryness to icy winter mess and the thick deciduous leaf cover in between.

I know that there are compromises and that nothing works great in all those conditions but I also know that I don't like changing tires to suit the weather (I'd be changing them every other week) so I like to throw one tire on and rock it 'til it's slick. I'm currently digging a Continental MK I in 2.4 and have been really happy with it but it's just about roached-out so I'm shopping for something new and I'm curious what others dig.

Thanks,
    Head.
    Last edited by head; 11-29-2012 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ardent 2.4

wot no bike?
    Racing Ralph 2.4
    pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csmitharchitect View Post
    Ardent 2.4
    This.

Loved the Ardent on my 26" bikes as well and played with a bunch of tires but in all honesty it's the only front tire I've ridden on my 29er.

mtbr member
    Went from a Purgatory 2.4 to an Ardent 2.4. Absolutely love it. Better grip and seems to roll faster.
    Signature

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn View Post
    racing ralph 2.4
    this :d

mtbr member
    Ardent 2.25
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    I'm in MD, and rock the Ardent 2.4, such a great front tire.

I am picking up a Racing Ralph 2.4 (older one) to try out. I'm sure it will be fast and light, but probably not nearly as grippy or durable as the Ardent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ardent 2.4 on the front and very happy. Cushy and grippy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Another Ardent 2.4 user
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Not from the NE, but since we're talking 2.4 RaRa: 2012 Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL Ready Tire - 29in - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    x-king 2.4. I tend to favor front tires w/ tread similar in size and shape from edge to edge but maybe I need to try the Ardent out next since this conti will be toast sooner than desired.

mtbr member
    You can see the trend here.. -it's all about volume.

Ardent 2.4 for me. Love 'em.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Racing Ralph 2.4 on the front of my rigid ss.

If I had the $$, and maybe I ought to try and come up with it, I would order 2 at that price from Competitive Cyclist.

I tried the Ardent in the past and liked the grip but NOT the weight.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    As a racing tire, how does the Ralph stand up to trail/weekend warrior riding? Is it tough at that weight? Do you guys ride it in slippery weather or just in the summer under ideal conditions?

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    .... Do you guys ride it in slippery weather or just in the summer under ideal conditions?
    Yes, we only ride when the sky is clear, w/o wind, low humidity, and if the temp is above 72 deg.
    Seriously, as a FRONT tire with big volume that is fast rolling & light weight the Ra-Ra 2.4 is tough to beat.
    As a rear I wore one (2011 model) out in about 300 mi.
    IMO - Ardent's more durable, and grips better in leaves, which right now are abundant.
    Perhaps you'd like to come visit our local trails with your leaf-blower.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    The Ralph isn't the toughest tire out there, but the Snakeskin version isn't bad. I'm running a 2.25 on the back of my RIP9 and I love how it grips. It's not the best in wet conditions, but I think it's just fine in the back in almost anything but wet. For me, a 2.35 Nobby Nic gets it done up front - yet another high volume tire.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Yes, we only ride when the sky is clear, w/o wind, low humidity, and if the temp is above 72 deg.
    Seriously, as a FRONT tire with big volume that is fast rolling & light weight the Ra-Ra 2.4 is tough to beat.
    As a rear I wore one (2011 model) out in about 300 mi.
    IMO - Ardent's more durable, and grips better in leaves, which right now are abundant.
    Perhaps you'd like to come visit our local trails with your leaf-blower.
    Oh, come on. You know what I'm talking about. No need to crack wise. There are summer tires and winter tires. Heavy duty tires and racing tires. And many riders are summer month riders. I get tempted by Ralphs, and the Ralph lovers' raves, but if you are using leaves to distinguish between the effectiveness/toughness of a big volume tire, then I guess we're talking two different riding universes. I'd be tempted to put a Ralph on in the summer time if I thought it could hold up to abuse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    2013 Bonty 2.35'' 29-2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Oh, come on. You know what I'm talking about. No need to crack wise. There are summer tires and winter tires. Heavy duty tires and racing tires. And many riders are summer month riders. I get tempted by Ralphs, and the Ralph lovers' raves, but if you are using leaves to distinguish between the effectiveness/toughness of a big volume tire, then I guess we're talking two different riding universes. I'd be tempted to put a Ralph on in the summer time if I thought it could hold up to abuse.
    Get a Snakeskin RaRa and call it a day. It's a great tire for the summer.

Xtreme Lounger
    Ardent 2.4

Paste eater
    Ardent is nice. Prolly faster than your MK but nowhere near as grippy. I've also had good luck with the rampages...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Get a Snakeskin RaRa and call it a day. It's a great tire for the summer.
    In the larger size (2.35/2.4) the Ralph is not available in Snakeskin. At least, it seemed the thread was forming a consensus around a larger volume front tire for rigid riding.

OP's original quest...

I'm talking about year round good traction on roots, rocks, logs, narrow twisty off-camber stuff in all the conditions that this area throws at us from summer dryness to icy winter mess and the thick deciduous leaf cover in between.

I currently ride the Ralph 2.4 up front on one bike (my Karate Monkey rigid SS) as well as a Nobby Nic 2.35 Snakeskin on 2 other bikes up front (with suspension).

In terms of the OP's original quest - I'd opt for the Nobby Nic up front as an all year allgrounder. Ralphs are pretty much sh>t in icy winter mess, and in wet in general. The Nic is an excellent fun tire, provides better sidewall protection, better cornering and doesn't wear too fast on the front. I have the Ardent 2.4 as well and it would be a close 2nd to the Nobby Nic 2.35 up front. The Nic is faster, lighter and IMO and experience, a better allgrounder than the Ardent. I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't rule out the Hans Dampf up front either if you want a bit more beef.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I like the 2.4 Ardents and the Rampage... Way to many rocks for me to run the RaRa in 2.4, in 2.25 with snakeskin Its great tho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm surprised to see only one endorsement of the Nobby Nic so far. Have any of you Ardent endorsers tried both and found the Ardent a better choice or have you just been so happy with the Ardent that you've not been compelled to look elsewhere?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast