Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    In the larger size (2.35/2.4) the Ralph is not available in Snakeskin. At least, it seemed the thread was forming a consensus around a larger volume front tire for rigid riding.

OP's original quest...

I'm talking about year round good traction on roots, rocks, logs, narrow twisty off-camber stuff in all the conditions that this area throws at us from summer dryness to icy winter mess and the thick deciduous leaf cover in between.

I currently ride the Ralph 2.4 up front on one bike (my Karate Monkey rigid SS) as well as a Nobby Nic 2.35 Snakeskin on 2 other bikes up front (with suspension).

In terms of the OP's original quest - I'd opt for the Nobby Nic up front as an all year allgrounder. Ralphs are pretty much sh>t in icy winter mess, and in wet in general. The Nic is an excellent fun tire, provides better sidewall protection, better cornering and doesn't wear too fast on the front. I have the Ardent 2.4 as well and it would be a close 2nd to the Nobby Nic 2.35 up front. The Nic is faster, lighter and IMO and experience, a better allgrounder than the Ardent. I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't rule out the Hans Dampf up front either if you want a bit more beef.
    The 2010 and older RaRa 2.4's have held up very well for me. I have an '09 on the front of my dual sussser that has better thank 5k miles of all sorts of terrain including urban assaults, trails, rocks, etc. and still looks new. The 2010 RaRa 2.4F now on my second SS (went from an '09 GF Rig with front sus to rigid steel SIR 9) is also holding up great and has gone through Patapsco, Frederick Watershed and other MD/VA rocky venues without incident. The only conditions I do not like RaRa's are bone dry trails. I've ridden in winter snow, at times along side someone running studs and never completely lost my arse cornering or climbing... slippy yes but not abysmally so.

If the OP wants light and fast, RaRa is the way to go, otherwise Nobby Nic is a bit heavier, grips better and more durable.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Been on the newest Mtn King 2.4 since last year....does everything very well....I like it even better than the old Mtn King. casing is 60mm on a P35 @ 20psi with a tube. If the black chili 2,4 come in spring as Conti says...it will rule here as the 2.2 is awesome....jut want a 2.4 in the front....oh I ride Rigid.....Vassago Jabberwocky in West Virgina
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Oh, come on... if you are using leaves to distinguish between the effectiveness/toughness of a big volume tire, then I guess we're talking two different riding universes...
    Absolutely, welcome to my world.
    Where leaves can be one of the biggest traction challenges, even tougher than the West's loose over hard.
    When wet, or deep enough to blanket roots & rocks they often cause me to taste it hard.
    Damn difficult to react to what cannot be seen. (If a backcountry skier = Snow Snake)
    Ever go off-line under a thick canopy of Oak trees?
    Acorns are like ball-bearings, and IDGAF what tires you're on - scary!

BTW - Rode with edub who rocks those freakish Ra-Ra's with tons of miles on them, and yes they still have tread.
    When posting a troll-ish (?) be prepared for humor, or to be butthurt, and it appears I provided both.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Where leaves can be one of the biggest traction challenges, even tougher than the West's loose over hard.
    When wet, or deep enough to blanket roots & rocks they often cause me to taste it hard.
    Damn difficult to react to what cannot be seen. (If a backcountry skier = Snow Snake)
    I rode a newish trail last fall that wasn't ridden in good and all at once the trail ended because I wasn't even on the trail. I had been following the deer instead. I spent 10-15 mins trying to find the trail from where I stopped, then gave up and back tracked to where I knew I was on the trail and rolled down again. That time I made the right turn. Just another way leaves can be treacherous.

I'm waiting on some Ardent 2.4s from CRC myself.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

BTW - Rode with edub who rocks those freakish Ra-Ra's with tons of miles on them, and yes they still have tread.
    When posting a troll-ish (?) be prepared for humor, or to be butthurt, and it appears I provided both.
    Butthurt? Really, dude? I guess you'll have to forgive me for being to old to get your sense of humor. I'm sure you're a fine rider--better than me, no doubt, because I suck--and a fine and helpful enough person in person. My question was sincere. I wanted to know if you guys were using the Ralph outside the ideal-weather months--and, yes, I know about the leaves you guys battle. Plus, I know the terrain can be technical. I can't tell for sure from what you've posted, what with all the humor, but sounds to me like you only use the Ralph during the fairest months for riding, then switch to the Ardent?

Trail Prospector
    Too old... NEVER!!!
    For me, the Ra-Ra 2.4 is a great front tire 80% of the time. If it's X- rough or slimy, I pick the Ardent.

Hope this helps to offset my snarky humor to your dumbazz (?)...

Mmm... tapas

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Too old... NEVER!!!
    For me, the Ra-Ra 2.4 is a great front tire 80% of the time. If it's X- rough or slimy, I pick the Ardent.

Hope this helps to offset my snarky humor to your dumbazz (?)...

Mmm... tapas
    You and your snark certainly know how to bring a brother back to 2004, no doubt.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I'm from the east coast and my part of the midwest has some east coast type trails. The FR3 Team is a good front tire, although heavy. I just put a NN SS on last night and was able to drop 2lb of pressure because it's such a large tire. Slightly used, it came out to 796gm. I do like it better than the FR3. I haven't tried the Ardent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been Ardent 2.4 front 2.25 rear . Now going from whisky carbon rigid fork to Magura squish and putting on a Nabby Nic up front for weight.

For cost/durability I can't imagine anything beating Ardents
    Selma Ti.

Dinner for wolves
    Maxxis Beaver...hate to buck the volume trend. But when the shizz hits the fan, the mud shedding tread, the traction, and the light weight come together like Voltron to save the day. I have wide bars and puffy grips to help absorb shock. I wish they made a 2.3. Anyone here use the Bontrager 29-4?

Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nobby Nic. Didn't care much for the Ardent. My friend didn't either he ordered a NN after riding one, and he has a new Ardent on there.

How many of you voting Ardent have given the NN a fair chance? I'm curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Maxxis Beaver...hate to buck the volume trend. But when the shizz hits the fan, the mud shedding tread, the traction, and the light weight come together like Voltron to save the day. I wish they made a 2.3. Anyone here use the Bontrager 29-4?
    Got to agree here, kinda, because I've only run the Bonty Mud X. Looks almost identical to the Beaver though. And I also wish it were made in size 2.3. Rode my Mud X's in dry conditions just for the tree root grip. I've only run them out back. I'd certainly give one a try rigid front because the Mud X rides much bigger volume than it actually is. Wonder how these "mud" tires would fair on the leaves the East Coasters have to deal with?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Nobby Nic. Didn't care much for the Ardent. My friend didn't either he ordered a NN after riding one, and he has a new Ardent on there.

How many of you voting Ardent have given the NN a fair chance? I'm curious.
    Tried NN and Ardent few years ago. Until it is dry, NN is ok so far, but Ardents cornering is much better. When it gets wet, NN is really crap

Riding Ardents 2,4" since then but will try some Geax Gato 2,3" TNT because I heard some good things about it.

In german MTB forums most riders laugh about german Schwalbe tires because of the fast wearing top rubber layer of Evo triple compound.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I agree the NN wear out quick. They perform good IMO in wet, muddy (not too crazy) wet leaves everywhere conditions. Tires are just too subjective to say anyone Is wrong or right. Appreciate your feedback!

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Got to agree here, kinda, because I've only run the Bonty Mud X. Looks almost identical to the Beaver though. And I also wish it were made in size 2.3. Rode my Mud X's in dry conditions just for the tree root grip. I've only run them out back. I'd certainly give one a try rigid front because the Mud X rides much bigger volume than it actually is. Wonder how these "mud" tires would fair on the leaves the East Coasters have to deal with?
    Well, I live and ride in the Mid-Atlantic. I'm pretty hard on the Beaver in my local conditions, which include mud, bogs, rocks, logs, roots, and pavement. I agree with you in that these tires ride larger than the 2.0 would suggest. They feel more capable as a rear tire than my Maxxis Ignitors ever did. The only reason I crave a 2.3 is replace Panaracer Rampage on the front of my Lenz Behemoth. I love the way the Beaver feels on the front of my rigid as it is.
    Responds to gravity

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Well... I'm pretty hard on the Beaver,... and I love the way the Beaver feels on the front of my rigid...
    Oh, Ward!..
    Sorry, just couldn't resist.
    Back to topic, so far am digging the Gato as a rear - cheap & grippy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2