mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Replacing Stock Rear shock w brain with a Fox on a Specialized Epic Marathon 2009

Hello guys I'm new on this site and with bikes. I currently have a friend that gave me his 2009 specialized epic marathon carbon bike with a rear busted specialized shock. The bike looks great and now I'm on the mission to have this bike fixed I know I can re-service Shock but I like the Fox one . I been told that the 2013 epic marathon bike comes with a Fox shock with mini brain , auto sag etc measuring 187x47mm but I can't seem to find this shock anywhere and if I do find it what will be a fair price to pay for item . I already called Specialized and the dimension on the 2009 to the 2013 are the same for the rear shock but the fOX shock was only made for New bike and getting one is Hard . Any ideas would be great thank you Replacing Stock Rear shock w brain with a Fox  on a Specialized Epic Marathon 2009-.facebook_1601005196.jpgReplacing Stock Rear shock w brain with a Fox  on a Specialized Epic Marathon 2009-screenshot_2013-08-27-09-06-18.jpg First picture is stock and second picture is the one I want to get for bike unless there is something better out there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing Stock Rear shock w brain with a Fox  on a Specialized Epic Marathon 2009-.facebook_1601005196.jpg  

ballbuster
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but...

You and about a zillion other people who bought BRAIN bikes are looking for the same fix.

I have a bud who had Push custom shorten a Fox RP23 or RP3 shock to fit his Carbon Epic. He went back and forth with them for two months trying to get it right. They finally did, but they said they would not do another.

I dunno... you can always ask Push to see what they could do. There's always Ebay, but you might be buying somebody else's hassle. Either way, from what I've seen that system is trouble. Works for a year and breaks like clockwork.

Well.... Specialized might be able to sell you one. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Also, this might be a better question for the Specialized forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

rear shock

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

You and about a zillion other people who bought BRAIN bikes are looking for the same fix.

I have a bud who had Push custom shorten a Fox RP23 or RP3 shock to fit his Carbon Epic. He went back and forth with them for two months trying to get it right. They finally did, but they said they would not do another.

I dunno... you can always ask Push to see what they could do. There's always Ebay, but you might be buying somebody else's hassle. Either way, from what I've seen that system is trouble. Works for a year and breaks like clockwork.

Well.... Specialized might be able to sell you one. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Ahhh I knew it was too good to be true then with this shocks unless bike gets destroyed and person sells shock . I seen a frame with shock for 400 but its 2010 and god knows condition. I still rather get a fox shock and later on refurbished then to refurbished the 09 specialized shock.
    I really dont have funds funds for a new different platform
    Thank you for input

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    2nd what Pimpbot said.

1. Call up Push Ind.
    -See about converting the internals from a good shock to one that fits. Or whatever they think up

2. Call/visit multiple Specie dealers to see what can be done
    -Different locations will have varying degrees of experience with this sort of thing and with what they can get done

3. Replace the frame with something similar in nature and close to the cost of a new shock/retrofit. Used would be a great fit here and there a number of great deals this time of the year on Pinkbike, MTBR, Craigslist, etc.
    -Salsa Spearfish comes to mind

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds good I saw locally a shock im going to see from fox if I have to reservice its cool better then doing it to the specialized one. This bikes parts get crazy expensive but if you guys were to estimate a fox shock with brain how much would you pay

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

I know a new one for my 2011 Stumpy was going to run around $300. Considering that you got a carbon bike for free I'd say it's not a bad price to pay.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

ballbuster
    Yeah, a big part of the problem is that Specialized uses oddball shock sizes. I'm sure it's no accident. Specy is all about trapping you in their systems and making fat cash. I mean, even more so than other bike companies.