Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Replacing Rock Shox Recon

I'm looking at the new 2014 lineup of Fox Shox. The one that caught my attention is 32 TALAS 29 120 FIT CTD w/Trail Adjust. What I'm riding is a Giant XTC 29er 3. From what I know the Rockshox Recon goes from 90mm-120mm. I was hearing mix opinions related to getting a 120mm travel fork. Would it create stress to the head tube area on my frame? Or would 120mm be okay? I'm not entirely sure the differences between Factory, Performance, and Evolution. Fox has them categorized like that. Anyhow, either way this fork caught my attention because I can change how I want my shocks to react to the terrain I'm riding on. If anyone else knows a better fork I can get from Fox or Rockshox let me know

Thank you.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Which Recon do you have?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would choose a Manitou Tower Pro 120mm as my first choice.
    Second would be a SID RLT or Reba with the Motion Control DNA RLT SID damper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Which Recon do you have?
    I have this one: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/recon-gold-tk. Supposedly on Giants website they advertise it being 100mm. If I look at the guide to the fork itself, I can make it a 120mm if I choose to. So I suppose when I bought the bike, they put enough air in it so it's a 100mm travel. Would 120mm travel hurt the frame at all though?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I would choose a Manitou Tower Pro 120mm as my first choice.
    Second would be a SID RLT or Reba with the Motion Control DNA RLT SID damper.
    I was hearing Reba is pretty good from my local bike shop. They did say my Recon fork is pretty good... but then again I'm not 100% sure if they would tell the truth though haha. I mean I have no problem with my Recon fork, but I would love the benefit of the new technology put into these new forks. Where you can flick a switch and the compression of the shock is softer or harder depending on the terrain—I really like that idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seems to work some on shocks, but not many happy with CTD forks(except the Pike). The Fox 13s were especially poor.
    Solo air Reba is not good. It needs a damper with DIG valve for small bump compliance.
    It's likely you have to tell your shop guys what works.

ready to ride
    I can't speak for running a 120mm on your bike but typically not a good idea to run more than what your bike is designed for. So why exactly are you wanting to change and how much are you running now?

I will say I converted my recon to 120mm it's is doable and it does ok at 120mm but isn't great.

I will also say I switched to the Manitou tower pro and couldn't be happier. Very plush, and adjustable.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I can't speak for running a 120mm on your bike but typically not a good idea to run more than what your bike is designed for. So why exactly are you wanting to change and how much are you running now?

I will say I converted my recon to 120mm it's is doable and it does ok at 120mm but isn't great.

I will also say I switched to the Manitou tower pro and couldn't be happier. Very plush, and adjustable.
    Well I'm sure 120mm wouldn't do much for my bike anyhow. But let's say if I did get the 120mm and choose to run it on my bike, will it do it harm at all? The bike I have now is Giant xtc 29er 3 last years model. From reading, I was hearing that Fox did something to this fork where it doesn't run 120mm all the time. Only time it runs 120mm is if you are descending.

I'll look into the Manitou Tower. I noticed they have pro and expert. Is there much difference and how much better are they compared to Fox?

Should I get tapered or non-tapered. I'm not 100% sure if my Recon fork is tapered. Taped or non-taped, the fork will fit regardless right?
    Last edited by cabralkev; 01-19-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by cabralkev View Post
    Well I'm sure 120mm wouldn't do much for my bike anyhow. But let's say if I did get the 120mm and choose to run it on my bike, will it do it harm at all? The bike I have now is Giant xtc 29er 3 last years model. From reading, I was hearing that Fox did something to this fork where it doesn't run 120mm all the time. Only time it runs 120mm is if you are descending.

I'll look into the Manitou Tower. I noticed they have pro and expert. Is there much difference and how much better are they compared to Fox?

Should I get tapered or non-tapered. I'm not 100% sure if my Recon fork is tapered. Taped or non-taped, the fork will fit regardless right?
    It would void the warranty and possibly snap the headtube.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    This is what I said to Giant through facebook: "I own a XTC Composite 29er 3 and I'd like to add more travel to the front forks. Currently it came with 100mm, what's the most travel I can get? I was hearing 120mm is okay and won't stress the carbon frame."

Giant responded with: "To answer your question, yes it is possible to run a 120mm fork on that bike, it may affect the handling though as the geometry will be altered. The frame is designed to take both sizes, as long as you don’t go over that you shouldn’t have any problems with regard to your frame. Cheers!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyhow... what's better Talas or Float?

Anyhow... what's better Talas or Float?
    Float is better for more XC riding, and Talas is better for more All-Mountain riding.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Float is better for more XC riding, and Talas is better for more All-Mountain riding.
    Well I do a lot of trail riding... so you're saying to go with the Talas? Even though I have a XC bike

Well I do a lot of trail riding... so you're saying to go with the Talas? Even though I have a XC bike
    "Trail" is just more technical XC, so I am recommending the Float.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. TALAS is just a different cartridge that allows for travel adjust. The Float can be used for anything from bike paths to downhill.

It will only void the warranty if the manf states that it will.(pretty rare these days) Also, 20mm difference is very, very minute difference in stress.

mtbr member
    If your frame has a tapered Head tube than you need a fork with a tapered head tube (unless you want to get a new headset)

If your frame has a 1.125" headtube then you need a fork with the same diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. TALAS is just a different cartridge that allows for travel adjust. The Float can be used for anything from bike paths to downhill
    Exactly what I meant.
    You wouldn't want to use a Float on a downhill, smallest would be a 36 Van. But the Talas has more travel, so it is better to use on more technical terrain.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Exactly what I meant.
    You wouldn't want to use a Float on a downhill, smallest would be a 36 Van. But the Talas has more travel, so it is better to use on more technical terrain.
    Wrong again. There are tons of guys using Floats 36 for downhill, freeride, enduro.
    Both the Talas and Float go up to 180mm travel. I also think that the float is much smoother than the Talas and its lighter which I would rather have for technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just contacted Giant once again to confirm once more if 120mm will void the warranty. Once they say no, I'll be picking up a 120mm fork. I don't do racing with my XC bike so it would be nice to get the extra 20mm. Yes I know my handling will suffer slightly on turns, but I'm sure it won't make much of a difference. Anything beats the Rock Shox Recon Gold TK shocks I currently own. This fork is very unresponsive on terrain when you need it. Last summer when I was going through a rock garden, it felt like I had a rigid fork to be honest, wasn't smooth at all. From the comments on here, I take it a Float is a better choice. Can I adjust the compression settings on the top of the fork as you can with the Talas? Reason why I ask is because I don't know much about Fox products... all I know is their products are real good and that is all haha

Anything beats the Rock Shox Recon Gold TK shocks I currently own.
    Not my Recon Silver Shocks or Suntour, or XC forks,
    so I am replacing my fork too this year, and I might go 120mm, or I might stay at 100. It depends on what forks I can get with the G2 geo.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    so I am replacing my fork too this year, and I might go 120mm, or I might stay at 100. It depends on what forks I can get with the G2 geo.
    You also own a HT XC bike? What fork are you deciding to get?

You also own a HT XC bike? What fork are you deciding to get?
    For the budget alternative to a Fox ($900 or so), I am looking at a Reba ($450-500)

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    I just contacted Giant once again to confirm once more if 120mm will void the warranty. Once they say no, I'll be picking up a 120mm fork. I don't do racing with my XC bike so it would be nice to get the extra 20mm. Yes I know my handling will suffer slightly on turns, but I'm sure it won't make much of a difference. Anything beats the Rock Shox Recon Gold TK shocks I currently own. This fork is very unresponsive on terrain when you need it. Last summer when I was going through a rock garden, it felt like I had a rigid fork to be honest, wasn't smooth at all. From the comments on here, I take it a Float is a better choice. Can I adjust the compression settings on the top of the fork as you can with the Talas? Reason why I ask is because I don't know much about Fox products... all I know is their products are real good and that is all haha
    It sounds like you need to do some suspension tuning, or have someone who knows how to set up a suspension do it. Thats what I would do before you spend the money.

The newer fox forks have CTD (Climb Trail Decend) in which you can on the fly adjust the way that the fork responds.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    im pretty sure you can do 100-120mm with the G2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was running a rockshox recon silver TK on my XTC. It was a pretty decent fork for the price range, just very heavy. Not the best dampening, but it works. If it's set up properly it should work pretty well. I ride rigid now, and I would say it definitely is nothing like a rigid fork. If I were you, and had around $900 for a fork I'd be looking for a deal on a RockShox SID World Cup 100mm travel fork, or if you absolutely have to have 120mm travel, a SID RCT3. I'd take 100mm of top of the line travel over 120mm of mid level travel anyday of the week.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast