mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Replacement for Crossmark?

I have worn out my Crossmark that I use as a rear tire in Southwest PA (roots, rocks, sometimes damp). I was wondering if I should just buy another Crossmark, or if anyone has a suggestion for a different rear tire, maybe less weight same traction, or same weight more traction?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I couldnt stand the crossmark for rooty east coast single track espcially during or right after a light rain just not enough grip. I use mine for gravel rides on occasion though.

2 that are slightly lighter roll almost as well is the Maxxis Ikon and Geax Saguaro (cheaper than ikon, not 100% on weight). These are acceptable in rooty Singletrack IMO when ran at lower to moderate pressure.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

the air is thin up here..
    I have an Ikon rear, but I'm switching to a Racing Ralph next year. Maybe snakeskin.

EDIT: The snakeskin RaRa is the same weight as a crossmark, the non-ss RaRa is 80grams less. Either would likely have more grip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have never found a better rear tire for summer hardpack conditions yet here in SE PA. love that tire.

currently running a schwalbe rapid rob as a budget alternative, and while it is nice and grippy it is wearing ridiculously fast and doesn't have the roll the crossmark did.

the great thing about that tire for me is it has ridiculously fast center tread but still has enough knobs on the sides to make it a great cornering tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    i have never found a better rear tire for summer hardpack conditions yet here in SE PA. love that tire.

currently running a schwalbe rapid rob as a budget alternative, and while it is nice and grippy it is wearing ridiculously fast and doesn't have the roll the crossmark did.

the great thing about that tire for me is it has ridiculously fast center tread but still has enough knobs on the sides to make it a great cornering tire.
    Agreed. I'm using an Ikon rear now but will likely go back to a C-mark in the near future and alternate between an Ikon and Ardent on the front. Crossmarks are cheap, wear really well and setup tubeless so easily!

ready to ride
    I ride in WNC/Pisgah so we probably have similar terrain as far as mix of roots, hardpack and rocks. My new bike came with crossmarks and I have been surprisingly happy with it as a rear. Didn't care for it as front. As a rear though I have too have been real happy with it. Always seems to be hooked up even in wet conditions. I can't think of a single time I have had it break loose or wash out on me. I will probably be running them in the rear for a while since I have a brand new one sitting in the garage.

Before I spent any time on the Crossmarks I was thinking Ardents. I'll see how they do once the leaves start falling. Might want something more aggressive then. In that case the Ardent seems like a good choice for the rear, maybe a WTB Moto 1.9.

banned
    Big fan of Crossmark rear as well. Have you considered trying an Ignotor on the rear for fall? A little more bite. Same weight. Slightly more rolling resistence. Mounts tubless ease. Tread wears slow. Oh yeah, and it does'nt cost $80 bucks. You can pick up them up for $35 bucks usually if you shop around.

Crossmark rear/Ignitor front is a nice combo in the summer. About the same volume and weight. Side walls usually wear faster than the tread. Hard to complain for the cost of a 600 gram tire that is non tubless and no side wall protection.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Big fan of Crossmark rear as well. Have you considered trying an Ignotor on the rear for fall? A little more bite. Same weight. Slightly more rolling resistence. Mounts tubless ease. Tread wears slow. Oh yeah, and it does'nt cost $80 bucks. You can pick up them up for $35 bucks usually if you shop around.

Crossmark rear/Ignitor front is a nice combo in the summer. About the same volume and weight. Side walls usually wear faster than the tread. Hard to complain for the cost of a 600 gram tire that is non tubless and no side wall protection.
    I have, after re-looking at the weight I think you are right. 595g for the EXO is pretty awesome. Save some weight in the rear and run something like the Ardent, Bronson race, or Hans Damph in the front.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Big fan of Ardent front, crossmark rear. I'll likely go back to that once my current Ikons have worn out.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for all of the replies so far. Crossmark has quite a following!