Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Category Winner

Rekon 29 X 2.6... is coming.

We won't see it until the Taipei Bike Show in a couple weeks, but they did tell us at the Maxxis Appalachian Summit that it is coming.

Personally, I'm very excite.

Love this tire in 27.5

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

Category Winner
    doh... meant to post this in the 29er component forum.

dammit.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Personally, I'm very excite.

I excite too.

Moderator Moderator
    doh... meant to post this in the 29er component forum.

dammit.
    sorted..

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    sorted..
    grassy ass
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    that's pretty nice. However, on a related note, I'm pretty sure in 3 years they are going to be telling us how 2.25" tires handle better and are significantly lighter.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    that's pretty nice. However, on a related note, I'm pretty sure in 3 years they are going to be telling us how 2.25" tires handle better and are significantly lighter.
    I had mtb tires from 1.9 to 2.4 and bigger has always been better so far. Next winter I'll be on a 2.5-2.6. I'm very happy with the tire selection these days, it's never been better.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Category Winner
    Well, I'm thinking (selfishly) about my rigid single speed happies. A 2.4 Ardent is nice but could be a little more cushy. The 3.0 DHR/DHF is nice in a totally different way, but that's a lot of tire to carry up the hill.

The 2.6 might just be the tire I'm looking for... depending on weight. I want it to be heavy enough that I think, "Yeah, I trust this." Somewhere in the mid-900 gram range would make me feel warm and fuzzy.

The 3.0 DHR+ has been fun to play with tho.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

MTB B'dos
    Yup, definitely eager to see this one come to market, definitely have been pleased so far with it's 650B breatherin. Looking to pair it up with a 650Bx2.8" on my Paradox with sus fork as just don't need too big of a tyre to pair it with. Curious if you also ran the DHF 29x3" and if so how they compared, was there any noticeable difference in rolling? Weight is listed as the same unlike in the 29er offerings, which makes using the DHR2 a good, lighter weight option to a DHF if you don't really the most grip.

Well, I'm thinking (selfishly) about my rigid single speed happies. A 2.4 Ardent is nice but could be a little more cushy. The 3.0 DHR/DHF is nice in a totally different way, but that's a lot of tire to carry up the hill.

The 2.6 might just be the tire I'm looking for... depending on weight. I want it to be heavy enough that I think, "Yeah, I trust this." Somewhere in the mid-900 gram range would make me feel warm and fuzzy.

The 3.0 DHR+ has been fun to play with tho.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yup, definitely eager to see this one come to market, definitely have been pleased so far with it's 650B breatherin. Looking to pair it up with a 650Bx2.8" on my Paradox with sus fork as just don't need too big of a tyre to pair it with. Curious if you also ran the DHF 29x3" and if so how they compared, was there any noticeable difference in rolling? Weight is listed as the same unlike in the 29er offerings, which makes using the DHR2 a good, lighter weight option to a DHF if you don't really the most grip.
    I tried the DHF first. Long story, but I ended up liking the DHR up front better. I guess it's a thing. Bad Idea Racing: The 2nd Maxxis Appalachian Summit: The Takeaways
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

MTB B'dos
    Assume you gave the Chronicle 29er a go, does the DHF or DHR2 exhibit the type of self steer that it does? Looking for 2 different tyre configuration, 1 for the Paradox HT an the other for the rigid Monkey. On the rigid I can run up to a 3.25" in front (thinking the DHR2) and looking to pair it with of course the Rekon out back, on the Paradox can only properly fit a 2.6" in the F34, again to pair with a Rekon. Any news on if they'll be offering a DC version of either the 650B or 29er version of the Rekon? Really think you don't need 3C in the rear for most places, more grip than needed, much faster wear.

I tried the DHF first. Long story, but I ended up liking the DHR up front better. I guess it's a thing. Bad Idea Racing: The 2nd Maxxis Appalachian Summit: The Takeaways

mtbr member
    I'm so excited for a plus-lite tire from a brand that actually owns any sort of measurement tools.
    I was all over the NN 2.6s like a fat kid on cake... but silly me, Schwalbe 2.6 is really a 2.48 on an i30 rim.
    If they had just labeled it a Nobby Nic 29x2.5, I'd be happier, but I paid for a 2.6. I did not get a 2.6 tire.
    On the other hand, my Chronicles are at least 3.05. I bet a Maxxis 2.6 would be a real 2.6
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    I'm so excited for a plus-lite tire from a brand that actually owns any sort of measurement tools.
    I was all over the NN 2.6s like a fat kid on cake... but silly me, Schwalbe 2.6 is really a 2.48 on an i30 rim.
    If they had just labeled it a Nobby Nic 29x2.5, I'd be happier, but I paid for a 2.6. I did not get a 2.6 tire.
    On the other hand, my Chronicles are at least 3.05. I bet a Maxxis 2.6 would be a real 2.6
    Maxxis is notorious for over stating width. The Rekon 2.8s are 2.65ish.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    My nobby nic 29x2.6 measures 2.6 on a 35mm rim and the 2.35 measures 2.4. In fact for the last 15 tires I've run from them, they all measured stated size or larger. Schwalbe is known for stating the correct size on their tires. Maxxis not so much.
    I'm also excited for this tire even though I'm not going to run it. 2.6 is a great size and will fit a lot of frames.

MTB B'dos
    My Rekon measures some where in the 2.75" range on i35 rims at riding pressure, so fairly accurate to me, but yes, Maxxis tyres do tend to run a bit small (except the 2.35"/2.4" casing) at pressures you run them at, but at their stated max PSI, they generally measure out to the claimed ISO width, which is the actual, real size they're sposed to be.
    Not a lot of experience with Schwalbe, but the 2 NN 2.8" I've got both measure to size on my i35 rims at riding pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    My nobby nic 29x2.6 measures 2.6 on a 35mm rim and the 2.35 measures 2.4. In fact for the last 15 tires I've run from them, they all measured stated size or larger. Schwalbe is known for stating the correct size on their tires. Maxxis not so much.
    I'm also excited for this tire even though I'm not going to run it. 2.6 is a great size and will fit a lot of frames.

Category Winner
    Assume you gave the Chronicle 29er a go, does the DHF or DHR2 exhibit the type of self steer that it does?

Any news on if they'll be offering a DC version of either the 650B or 29er version of the Rekon?
    I experienced the same thing with the Chronicle. I ended up taking it off because of that. Just not enough knobs and that strange self-steering feeling. The DHR+ and the DHF+ don't feel anything like that.

No word on casing or compound options yet.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the info. I feel the opposite of you, I think the Chronicle has too many knobs going in too many directions which causes it to pull/self steer. Hadn't really ridden it much when I got it along with a BFG to test, as I felt that immediately and mainly used the BFG, but just put it back on paired with the Rekon and did not expect to feel it so much on the trail, but do, really bad in fact. What really surprised me was how bad I feel it under braking, it really tugs and you have to fight against it - this is on compacted gravel/rock, to a bit lesser extent on compact dirt.

I experienced the same thing with the Chronicle. I ended up taking it off because of that. Just not enough knobs and that strange self-steering feeling. The DHR+ and the DHF+ don't feel anything like that.

No word on casing or compound options yet.

Category Winner
    Thanks for the info. I feel the opposite of you, I think the Chronicle has too many knobs going in too many directions which causes it to pull/self steer.
    I guess I shouldn't have said "not enough knobs."

What I meant was that the knobs were so low profile, they just didn't really bite much.

I had a disturbing self-steer situation while riding up on a skinny... and then off it went. I remember talking to someone at Maxxis about it, and they told me something about this tire being more for the straight-lining bikepacker more than the gnar seekers tho.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Interesting that people measure tires differently. I'm stunned that a NN 2.6 on ai30 is 2.5 and is 2.6 on an i35. I just know my only experience with them is not true to width

My Maxxis tires have all been dead on, Chronicles, Ardent, and Minion SS.

I never thought much about self steer on my Chronicle, I maybe misinterpreted it as gyroscopic effect of going from an 850g carbon wheel with a 775g tire to a 1250g wheel (velocity Dually) with an 1100g tire, and the increase in precision with a rigid fork vs 32mm suspension fork.
    Arizona doesn't have the same tech riding as most places though. It's really more chunk.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

n00b
    dangit, just what I need, more options to figure out what I want. lol!
    On a 2.4 Ardent front/2.25 Ardent rear
    Happy with the 2.4 in the front, but still want to go bigger. 2.25 Ardent rear is a little smaller than I want.

So I find out that a 2.6 NN will fit on a non boost 29er Pike. Yay, looks like I'll make the move to Schwalbe.
    Now this news comes out..

Do I stick with Maxxis and go with a 2.6 Rekon front, and a 2.4 Ardent in the back?
    or make the move to 2.6 NN front, 2.35 NN rear?
    Schwalbe is more expensive, lighter
    Maxxis is cheaper, heavier

Win win either way

btw, i'm on a Canfield Yelli and i'm a heavy sloppy rider. No rocks here in Central Illinois
    instagram@krigloch

MTB B'dos
    I'd definitely stick with Maxxis, especially if you're already accustomed to them, think that combo would be fairly nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigloch View Post
    dangit, just what I need, more options to figure out what I want. lol!
    Do I stick with Maxxis and go with a 2.6 Rekon front, and a 2.4 Ardent in the back or make the move to 2.6 NN front, 2.35 NN rear?
    Schwalbe is more expensive, lighter : Maxxis is cheaper, heavier
    Win win either way/
    btw, i'm on a Canfield Yelli and i'm a heavy sloppy rider. No rocks here in Central Illinois

Category Winner
    Woops, there it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rekon 29 X 2.6... is coming.-17434630_10102211168891739_1690916067893508463_o.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Spicy!

n00b
    Whole lotta want right there

Sent from my R2 unit
    instagram@krigloch

Schwalbe is cheaper if you get it from Germany. I paid $32 a tire.
    Just checked and bike24 has them for $39 USA.

mtbr member
    Hopefully the weight won't be too atrocious, as this might be the answer for a rigid front, that's not a plus size.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Hopefully the weight won't be too atrocious, as this might be the answer for a rigid front, that's not a plus size.
    That's exactly what I want it for. After spending months on the DHF+ and DHR+ (3.0 on the front), I'm anxious for something a little lighter but still big.

I just mounted up my Ardent 2.4, and it looks so tiny now.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

MTB B'dos
    Tell me about it, now my 2.4" Chunky Monkey (which used to look massive) just looks anemic compared to the 3" tyres I'm accustomed to seeing since I've been riding the rigid a lot.
    That's exactly what I want it for. After spending months on the DHF+ and DHR+ (3.0 on the front), I'm anxious for something a little lighter but still big.

I just mounted up my Ardent 2.4, and it looks so tiny now.

mtbr member
    What type of availability timeline are we talking here?

early summer/late summer
    next year

Looks like a winner for where I ride

n00b
    I think they said July on instagram

Sent from my R2 unit
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Any sightings of this tire at sea otter?

Did it look like the same size as a 2.5 DHF, whatever or will it be bigger...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Any sightings of this tire at sea otter?

Did it look like the same size as a 2.5 DHF, whatever or will it be bigger...
    I wasn't at Sea Otter, but I touched it, played with it and tried to steal it when I was at Whiskey Off road this last weekend.
    They said July you should start seeing them.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Can't wait to try this tire. Anyone know if they are going to make the Ikon as well? Rekon front, Ikon rear would be sweet.

WNC Native
    Forgot all about this tire coming! Now the question is, will it fit in the back of my Stickel.......
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Forgot all about this tire coming! Now the question is, will it fit in the back of my Stickel.......
    I know it won't fit in mine. I'm maxed out at 2.4 Ardent.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

WNC Native
    I know it won't fit in mine. I'm maxed out at 2.4 Ardent.
    May not fit mine either. What's the widest rim you've ran with the 2.4 Ardent on the back of yours?

You ever try a 2.5 DHF at any point?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Category Winner
    May not fit mine either. What's the widest rim you've ran with the 2.4 Ardent on the back of yours?

You ever try a 2.5 DHF at any point?
    I think it woulda been a Industry Nine Trail rim. I didn't bother moving the sliders back one link length tho. I didn't buy a Stickel to have a 17"+ CS length.

Never tried a DHF either. The weight of a 2.4 was about as much as I'd want in the back.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I need some help setting the wheels up for my wifes bike. She has a Specialized Fate Carbon 29er. Fox fork Boost. The rear is a 135 QR. She currently has a Fat Bike and wants something lighter faster. My original plan was to do 27.5 3.0 up front and 2.8 rear.

Now I'm kinda thinking 29 2.6 NN upfront and 2.4 NN in the back. Wasn't sure what people thought of that set up.

I have a set of Stan's 27.5 Rapid 28's that can run 2.5" also.

I want to get this built up (Wheel/Tire combo) help would be appreciated.

I ride a 29x2.6 front and 2.35 rear. It's a great setup. If you wanted an even fast rolling bike get a racing Ralph 2.35 rear.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming on the 2.6 i want to get an internal width of 30. What do u think about the rear 2.35?

I'm running them both on Ibis 942 rims 35mm internal. Both will work great on a 30 internal rim. 30mm seems to be the sweet spot for trail tires. Nobby nic works good on the rear with plenty of traction. I'm used to a rocket Ron rear so the NN feels slower. Unless you need the burly tire I always give up grip for speed in the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Any update? Still July for ETA?

WNC Native
    I was told sometime this fall by a Maxxis Sales Rep (about 2 weeks ago).

Digger
    Jul 2016
    Any measurements on these? I think width is not as important for me as total diameter. I'm running NN 2.6 now, but I had to shave my rear down on the center knobs about 2mm to have "enough" clearance for the rocks I ride on.
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

mtbr member
    Schwalbe is cheaper if you get it from Germany. I paid $32 a tire.
    Just checked and bike24 has them for $39 USA.
    Where did you order them from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Where did you order them from?
    I got my NN2.6s early this year from bike-discount.de
    The $20 shipping for two $34 tires was a bit bitter, but they were the only game in town.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

western NC
    Well, shit...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I didn't know this was a thing. I was just saying to a friend of they made the rekon in 29x2.6, I'd buy it.

I guess I'm committed.

Sounds like I have 1 summer to wear out my forekaster

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I didn't know this was a thing. I was just saying to a friend of they made the rekon in 29x2.6, I'd buy it.

I guess I'm committed.

Sounds like I have 1 summer to wear out my forekaster

I really like the forekaster's grip and mud ability, but just really underwhelmed at the stated 2.35 size. It would have been a winner if it was built on the same casing as the 2.35 Ikon or 2.4 Ardent

Please don't let me down again w/ the rekon Maxxis!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really like the forekaster's grip and mud ability, but just really underwhelmed at the stated 2.35 size. It would have been a winner if it was built on the same casing as the 2.35 Ikon or 2.4 Ardent

Please don't let me down again w/ the rekon Maxxis!
    That's my exact complaint!

I was all stoked to mount an ikon rear and FK front on my new bike. I put them on and the ikon looked great and I am so disappointed at the FK size.

Hopefully 2.4 ikon and 2.6 rekon is is the winner. I'm on dry Rocky loose stuff in socal

Here, diagonally!
    Translation: Spring 2018
    Banshee Prime

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Translation: Spring 2018
    Hope not, I'm keen to try these myself as the Rekon + is my favourite 27.5+ tyre and I think the 29x2.6 will make a great trail bike tyre...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I saw a 29 x 2.6 Rekon mounted on a Stan's Flow at the Maxxis booth at NEMBAFest a couple of weeks ago. Didn't look all that big... whereas when I've seen NN 2.6, it looked pretty plump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    I saw a 29 x 2.6 Rekon mounted on a Stan's Flow at the Maxxis booth at NEMBAFest a couple of weeks ago. Didn't look all that big... whereas when I've seen NN 2.6, it looked pretty plump.
    A Flow isn't a particularly wide rim though, is it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    A Flow isn't a particularly wide rim though, is it?
    The new Flow MK3 is wider than the old. It's 29mm internal.

mtbr member
    I guess it's a question of which version Puzman saw.

Either way the 2.6 will probably be my new front tire once I wear out my current ardent

mtbr member
    Tell me about it, now my 2.4" Chunky Monkey (which used to look massive) just looks anemic compared to the 3" tyres I'm accustomed to seeing since I've been riding the rigid a lot.
    I have been riding with 3.0" DHF and DFR II tires for the last couple of weeks and then yesterday rode my bike that is setup with 2.4" chunky monkeys (CM). They looked so thin. I kept telling myself that a couple of weeks ago I thought that the 2.4" CM was the perfect size tire and my lizard brain kept saying "tire too thin, no grip".

I would love to replace the CMs with something bigger once the wear out. What is the latest word on the 2.6" Rekons?
    Last edited by noosa2; 08-13-2017 at 07:40 PM.

n00b
    no clue about the Rekons
    I'm about to say screw it and order up a 2.5 Minion DHF
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I contacted maxxis support and they said the tires are about sixty days away. I went ahead and ordered nobby nics addix speed grip from bike-discount.de.

Currently it appears those tires are about sixty days out. They are on order, but have not populated in our systems yet.

Thanks,
    Maxxis Support

MTB B'dos
    I really hoping that this is a completely new casing that they'll be putting these on and not the same existing casing the 2.4" Ardent, 2.35" Ikon and 2.5" DHF are on. I'm in no rush for new tyres, have way too many just stacked up already.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangly1 View Post
    I contacted maxxis support and they said the tires are about sixty days away. I went ahead and ordered nobby nics addix speed grip from bike-discount.de.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I really hoping that this is a completely new casing that they'll be putting these on and not the same existing casing the 2.4" Ardent, 2.35" Ikon and 2.5" DHF are on. I'm in no rush for new tyres, have way too many just stacked up already.
    Maxxis sent a pair to me to measure, and they are definitely a larger casing than the 2.4" Ardent, and the 2.5" DHF. My measurements put the 29x2.6 Rekon casing at 3mm wider then the 29x2.5 DHF, both measured on an i35 rim. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride those tires, and had to send them back.

n00b
    I shall stay patient and wait it out.
    Excited to try this out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    instagram@krigloch

WNC Native
    I shall stay patient and wait it out.
    Excited to try this out
    Same here, I'll keep riding my 2.6 NN until it arrives.

MTB B'dos
    Cool, thanks for the info, guess they'll be a worth while wait then Did you happen to weigh them or were they just protos and weight could change?

Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Maxxis sent a pair to me to measure, and they are definitely a larger casing than the 2.4" Ardent, and the 2.5" DHF. My measurements put the 29x2.6 Rekon casing at 3mm wider then the 29x2.5 DHF, both measured on an i35 rim. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride those tires, and had to send them back.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Cool, thanks for the info, guess they'll be a worth while wait then Did you happen to weigh them or were they just protos and weight could change?
    Pre-production, not sure if the weight will fluctuate in production. They weren't heavy, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Yeah, I would've waited, but I need them for some new wheels that are coming around the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I have been riding with 3.0" DHF and DFR II tires for the last couple of weeks and then yesterday rode my bike that is setup with 2.4" chunky monkeys (CM). They looked so thin. I kept telling myself that a couple of weeks ago I thought that the 2.4" CM was the perfect size tire and my lizard brain kept saying "tire too thin, no grip".

I would love to replace the CMs with something bigger once the wear out. What is the latest word on the 2.6" Rekons?
    I too have been running the DHF & DHRII ,,,recently switched to recon + to get away from the drag & weight of those tires for the sumner,,, but the RECON+ ...........maaaaaan these things ROLL !!!!!!!! SOOOO HAPPY ON THIS TIRE !!!

Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Subscribed. I want a 2.6 rekon for the front 2.4 Ardent in rear. As a maybe lighter faster alternative to 2.5 and 2.3 MInions

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just ordered a Salsa Timberjack frame (hardtail, boost spacing, will take 29x2.5 tires with lots of room to spare), and my ideal imagined starting point for tires would be Rekon 29 x 2.6 Maxx Speed rear, and Forekaster 29 x 2.6 Maxx Grip front. If those or something like them from Maxxis don't materialize, I might be forced to ride Nobby Nics which are not my favorites - especially as a front tire.
    Last edited by Wines of WA; 08-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    3 months out per Maxxis IG post

Looking like I'll be running 29x2.6 Rekon rear / 29x2.6 Forekaster front next summer

n00b
    I recently wrecked like a loser and burped/stretched my front Ardent 2.4
    Said screw it and got a Minion 2.5WT DC/TR
    Let it sit for 2 days at 45 psi on my Arc 30 rim. Stretched out to 2.59 and some change
    Lowered the pressure and it went to a 2.57

May try a Rekon in the rear when I get a chance.
    instagram@krigloch

WNC Native
    I recently wrecked like a loser and burped/stretched my front Ardent 2.4
    Said screw it and got a Minion 2.5WT DC/TR
    Let it sit for 2 days at 45 psi on my Arc 30 rim. Stretched out to 2.59 and some change
    Lowered the pressure and it went to a 2.57

May try a Rekon in the rear when I get a chance.
    Curious what does the casing measure on your 2.5 WT on the Arc 30? I've been debating putting that very tire on my Arc 30 rim on the back of my HT. Currently have a 2.6 NN and I really need something with a little less casing width due to the yoke shape on my frame ( The NN casing is actually the same 2.6 width as the knobs on my 30).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    3 months out per Maxxis IG post

Looking like I'll be running 29x2.6 Rekon rear / 29x2.6 Forekaster front next summer
    But the Forekaster will only be available in Maxx Speed and Dual rubber compounds, which seems wrong for the front. I'd want Maxx Terra. No?

n00b
    Curious what does the casing measure on your 2.5 WT on the Arc 30? I've been debating putting that very tire on my Arc 30 rim on the back of my HT. Currently have a 2.6 NN and I really need something with a little less casing width due to the yoke shape on my frame ( The NN casing is actually the same 2.6 width as the knobs on my 30).
    Casing is a 2.4

instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    But the Forekaster will only be available in Maxx Speed and Dual rubber compounds, which seems wrong for the front. I'd want Maxx Terra. No?
    I'm sure Maxx Terra would be optimal, but I have been running the Dual/EXO/TR 29x2.35 version on the front this summer and it rules for where I live and ride. It's just skinny and I want the plump version.

WNC Native
    Casing is a 2.4

Awesome, thanks! Just picked one up.

n00b
    Lol, that was quick

instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    HR2 and Aggressor coming out in 29x2.5WT in Mother****ing God Fearing Double Down casing!!!! Full on erect!
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

MTB B'dos
    You don't ride in the wet or on slippery, mossy rocks and roots then I take it? While I love the FK, the DC compound coupled with the tread design, just doesn't work well in those situations.

I'm sure Maxx Terra would be optimal, but I have been running the Dual/EXO/TR 29x2.35 version on the front this summer and it rules for where I live and ride. It's just skinny and I want the plump version.

mtbr member
    You don't ride in the wet or on slippery, mossy rocks and roots then I take it? While I love the FK, the DC compound coupled with the tread design, just doesn't work well in those situations.
    I do ride mud, greasy roots and rocks and from my experience with the FK I will have to disagree with you.

But this thread is about the Rekon and I'm looking forward to getting my paws on them.

MTB B'dos
    Compared to say a 3C DHF, seriously? I'm accustomed to 3C compounds on the front or On One Trail Extreme, which is about the same and the 2.35" FK in DC, sucks compared. To keep it on topic, the 3C Rekon is absolutely awesome on that same sort or terrain.
    I do ride mud, greasy roots and rocks and from my experience with the FK I will have to disagree with you.

But this thread is about the Rekon and I'm looking forward to getting my paws on them.

Live Free & Ride
    XC Maxxis killer will be the Mezcal 29 x 2.6. Have not seen one yet and not sure of the knob size, but the G+ version at 870 g should get it done! Already very impressed with the 2.35 Barzo TNT and this should perform better front or rear. Was hoping to see a 2.6 or 2.8 Morsa or even Goma in 29 inch....but not yet!

https://www.vittoria.com/tire/mezcal-2/

Vittoria 2018 tires sneak peek - Mtbr.com

14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Digger
    Jul 2016
    Any dia measurement?

I saw an article about the Teravail 29x2.6 tires that mentioned there's an Ibis bike that current ships with 29.2.6 Nobby Nics, but that the new Rekon's won't fit that bike. This implies that the Rekon is going to be larger than the NN, which is the opposite of what I'd expect...
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
    Any dia measurement?

I saw an article about the Teravail 29x2.6 tires that mentioned there's an Ibis bike that current ships with 29.2.6 Nobby Nics, but that the new Rekon's won't fit that bike. This implies that the Rekon is going to be larger than the NN, which is the opposite of what I'd expect...
    Per mtg7aa - 757mm OD on i30 rim and 760mm on i35 rim.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Yes ^^^
    They're noticeably larger in diameter, imo, than the Maxxis 29x2.5 tires.

Disclaimer:
    Keep in mind that tire measurements can change depending on technique, air pressure, how much stretch, and tire to tire variability. I would take those numbers as a guide, not as a written in stone law.

WNC Native
    Disclaimer:
    Keep in mind that tire measurements can change depending on technique, air pressure, how much stretch, and tire to tire variability. I would take those numbers as a guide, not as a written in stone law.
    Also should be stated that IIRC the pair mtg7aa measured were pre-production tires as well, correct?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Also should be stated that IIRC the pair mtg7aa measured were pre-production tires as well, correct?
    Yes.

Digger
    Jul 2016
    Thanks, now I just need to measure my shaved 2.6NN as a reference. Will try tonight. I have to take the wheel off anyways, I broke my cassette on my last ride. #guads
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My Vittoria Goma 2.4 is a solid 64 mm at casing and 63.5 at tread on an i35 rim. So about the same size as the NN. Vittoria does not mess around with their sizing. I look forward to their 2.6 offerings, been very happy with both the bomboloni and goma build quality...On the other hand the goma is one heavy tire at well over 1000 g.....

Digger
    Jul 2016
    I measured my shaved NN last night, it was exactly 29.5" OD (750mm). So crap, no way the rekon is going to fit without shaving.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I hope this will fit SC Hightower on a 30mm IW...

Quote Originally Posted by ALC0R73Z View Post
    I hope this will fit SC Hightower on a 30mm IW...
    About a 0% chance it will fit in the rear.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Does anyone actually know we can purchase???? And will there be 2.5 ,,,those with hightower clearance issues??

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    About a 0% chance it will fit in the rear.
    What about the forekaster 29x2.6?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Reached out to Maxxis directly on the rekon 29x2.6 as I am debating on holding out on my current Chupa's fot these, or going with a Nobby Nic... Timeline follow with the above September post (3 months).. Apparently not available until the first of the year.

Hi Chase,

Unfortunately, that tire will not be available until the first of the year!

Thanks,
    Your Maxxis Support Team
    --
    Maxxis International – USA
    Email: MaxxisSupport@maxxis.com | Web: maxxis.com

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    Reached out to Maxxis directly on the rekon 29x2.6 as I am debating on holding out on my current Chupa's fot these, or going with a Nobby Nic... Timeline follow with the above September post (3 months).. Apparently not available until the first of the year.

Hi Chase,

Thanks,
    Your Maxxis Support Team
    --
    Had a feeling there was a good chance of that, guess my 2.5 DHF WT gets to stay on all winter. Which I'm fine with for the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Love the rekon in the 2.8+ version. Think an i30 rim would work well with this tire? Im stuck between i30 and i35

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post

Hi Chase,

Thanks,
    Your Maxxis Support Team
    --
    So...
    Anything else out there in the same class?
    --Reamer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast