Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,632

    Reducing stem to 50mm?

    When I first got my Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc it came with a 60mm stem. That felt weird coming from a XC rig with a 100mm stem and I felt like a couldn't get forward enough on climbs so I swapped it out for a 70mm stem.

    That was a lot better until I then changed my grips to Ergon GS3 grips for the bar ends. I like these but since then I feel like the bar is too far forward.

    I see two things going on here:
    1) I've got used to a shorter cockpit and
    2) with the bar ends I now use these for the climbs and getting my weight up front so the bar for regular trail riding can be further back.

    I'm thinking of dialing it back and getting a Syntace Megaforce 2 50mm stem (I currently have the same version in 70mm).

    My question is this. What will a stem reduction of 20mm do to the handling of the bike? My other option is to go back to 60mm but I'm thinking that now I'm used to 29ers and that I have the bar ends for reach when I need them that 50mm could be could. By the way my bars are 720mm in length.

    Wide bars, short stem, way to go right?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 12-08-2012 at 10:26 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    When I first got my Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc it came with a 60mm stem. That felt weird coming from a XC rig with a 100mm stem and I felt like a couldn't get forward enough on climbs so I swapped it out for a 70mm stem.

    That was a lot better until I then changed my grips to Ergon GS3 grips for the bar ends. I like these but since then I feel like the bar is too far forward.

    I see two things going on here:
    1) I've got used to a shorter cockpit and
    2) with the bar ends I now use these for the climbs and getting my weight up front so the bar for regular trail riding can be further back.

    I'm thinking of dialing it back and getting a Syntace Megaforce 2 50mm stem (I currently have the same version in 70mm).

    My question is this. What will a stem reduction of 20mm do to the handling of the bike? My other option is to go back to 60mm but I'm thinking that now I'm used to 29ers and that I have the bar ends for reach when I need them that 50mm could be could. By the way my bars are 720mm in length.

    Wide bars, short stem, what to go right?
    Stem length & cockpit setup is completely personal preference. I have tried quite a few different bar length and sweeps as well as different length / rise stems to come up w/ a combo that feels just right. I have also found that rotating bars make a big difference on how the bike "feels". Shorter stems usually speeds up the steering but gives less leverage. You will also shorten the cockpit.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    230
    Did u check ur seat position?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobinGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    356
    I rode with a short stem for a while, i found the answer was moving my seat forward and keeping the long stem. Was much much better for climbing

    the shorter stem made the steering a bot more sensitive but not by much, but i noticed i felt disconnected from the movement of my front tire. the handling always felt wrong. 70-90mm stem is what i found best for XC riding.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

  5. #5
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,931
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    When I first got my Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc it came with a 60mm stem. That felt weird coming from a XC rig with a 100mm stem and I felt like a couldn't get forward enough on climbs so I swapped it out for a 70mm stem.

    That was a lot better until I then changed my grips to Ergon GS3 grips for the bar ends. I like these but since then I feel like the bar is too far forward.

    I see two things going on here:
    1) I've got used to a shorter cockpit and
    2) with the bar ends I now use these for the climbs and getting my weight up front so the bar for regular trail riding can be further back.

    I'm thinking of dialing it back and getting a Syntace Megaforce 2 50mm stem (I currently have the same version in 70mm).

    My question is this. What will a stem reduction of 20mm do to the handling of the bike? My other option is to go back to 60mm but I'm thinking that now I'm used to 29ers and that I have the bar ends for reach when I need them that 50mm could be could. By the way my bars are 720mm in length.

    Wide bars, short stem, what to go right?
    Why not go to your LBS and see of they have a 50mm in their parts bin you could try out? That way you'll know immediately. Ditto on other sizes they may have.

  6. #6
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by memi View Post
    Did u check ur seat position?
    Yep. I tweaked my saddle forward when I got the bar ends but now I plan to move it back 5mm.

    I could go for the 60mm stem again but contemplating that a 50mm will give quicker steering.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,860
    Since you have the 60mm and it takes no time to swap put it on and see how that changes your steering..

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowPokePete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Since you have the 60mm and it takes no time to swap put it on and see how that changes your steering..
    That makes the most sense to me

    SPP
    Rigid.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    230
    I have the 50mm stem, which I flipped it, and it became 55mm stem. My bar is 720mm. I am still experiment with it. It ride good, my back does not hurt anymore, but uphills I need extra power to pull the front wheel. Downhill is great!

  10. #10
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,632
    I don't have the 60mm anymore. That was swapped for the 70mm.

    I'm confused about the comment flipping the stem. My 60 was a 0deg stem. My current 70 is a 6deg stem which I have flipped and installed as a -6deg stem. Ate you saying that this effectively lengthens the stem more?

    If so I'll go with the 50 installed as -6deg.

  11. #11
    Now older but less slow!
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Why not go to your LBS and see of they have a 50mm in their parts bin you could try out? That way you'll know immediately. Ditto on other sizes they may have.
    Good idea but this time I don't want to try this with my shop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •