Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

Recommend - Tires ?

I'm lookiing for a beefier set of tubeless tires for the winter. I like the feel of riding a heavier sturdier tire for the winter (and never ever getting flats). And then switching over come race season to my race wheelset (Crossmax - Racing Ralph)

So what is a good set of 'bombproof' tires ?

I live north of Atlanta and the terrain is pretty smooth for the most part.

mtbr member
    CST caballero, folding.
    cheap, wide, grippy but slow. Pretty much bombproof

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like the Maxxis Ardent in the 2.4 variety in the winter. It's been pretty durable for me so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Specialized Butcher.

mtbr member
    I hear good things about the ardent 2.4s.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have CST Cabelloros, 2.4 Ardents and 2.0 Specialized Captain something or other. All are very good tires. Will say the CSTs are cheap and surprisingly good in wet conditions, but I don't know if you can set them up tubeless or not. But they are connected to Maxxis and the Ardents were real easy tubeless, so...

banned
    Can' t say as I know the ATL area, but does'nt it stay rather moist during the winter? You looking for a mud tire, which generally run narrower or a wide, big lugged tire?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Haven't had my 29er long enough for winter conditions...but on my 26er I used to run a high roller up front, and ignitor in the rear. Both tires were non ust and non exo/lust. Set up tubeless on crossmax st ust rims. They set up easier then some of these so called "tubeless ready" tires currently available. Worked very well in wet, muddy conditions. No problems with sidewall tears. But I'm here in so cal so our worst winter conditions are probably much different then yours. Heck, some winters here I still run fast rolling combinations. We haven't had a rainy sloppy winter in several years.

mtbr member
    I bought Geax Gato TNT 2.3s for the winter, and I love them so much I run them year-round. Big, squishy, but with a really tough sidewall. Sheds mud really well -- just make sure you're wearing eye protection for that road section, or you'll get rocks in your eyes! Ask me how I know.

Big Boy
    most durable tires I have found are the geax tires with tnt casing.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!