mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Reba stanchions colour difference - right or wrong?

I had Reba 29 RL Dual Air 2012. Having bought it, I notised that stanchions were different in shade. Right one was with the SAG "notch" was noticeably darker than the left one. It was not like night and day, but easily visible when you know what to look at. I used the fork for 1,5 years and stanchions technically were OK. No actual wear. So I just thought: no worry, just some unusual colour mismatch. Anyway, I sold it cause decided to go for 2013 SoloAir RLT Reba.
    I bought one. When package came, I took out the fork, look at it and......said: F#ck.....same thing. Of course fork is technically OK, but right stanchion is darker, left one is more pale and more glossy.
    Point is: Is this my extreme bad luck to get forks like this?
    Did U guys see this on your RS forks?
    My only explanation to this is the fact that right stanchion has SAG indicator painted black under anodised surface, and maybe thus right stanchion go seprarate process, while the left legs are anodised in different bath. That may lead to shade difference, as it's time based procedure. Then they simply take one stanchion from one box, the other one from another box, and press them into crown.
    But anyway it looks a little weird to have stanchions different in shade on one fork.
    Did U expirience that?

mtbr member
    I have no answer for this, but an honest question. Were you cuddling, spooning, or kissing when you noticed these color differences in her legs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoBomber View Post
    Were you cuddling, spooning, or kissing when you noticed these color differences in her legs?
    I got wife for that. Not the fork. Never even thougt of getting laid with bike parts.
    But please, be straight forward, a tell me.....do you have experience in those cuddling and kissing of forks? No wife/girlfriend/boyfried/pet for that? Must be pretty cold .... no wet&warm feedback....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chunk doris View Post
    I had Reba 29 RL Dual Air 2012. Having bought it, I notised that stanchions were different in shade. Right one was with the SAG "notch" was noticeably darker than the left one. It was not like night and day, but easily visible when you know what to look at. I used the fork for 1,5 years and stanchions technically were OK. No actual wear. So I just thought: no worry, just some unusual colour mismatch. Anyway, I sold it cause decided to go for 2013 SoloAir RLT Reba.
    I bought one. When package came, I took out the fork, look at it and......said: F#ck.....same thing. Of course fork is technically OK, but right stanchion is darker, left one is more pale and more glossy.
    Point is: Is this my extreme bad luck to get forks like this?
    Did U guys see this on your RS forks?
    My only explanation to this is the fact that right stanchion has SAG indicator painted black under anodised surface, and maybe thus right stanchion go seprarate process, while the left legs are anodised in different bath. That may lead to shade difference, as it's time based procedure. Then they simply take one stanchion from one box, the other one from another box, and press them into crown.
    But anyway it looks a little weird to have stanchions different in shade on one fork.
    Did U expirience that?
    Please record the warranty call when you call SRAM. This could be good!

mtbr member
    Asked the guy going Whack-A-Mole over different shades on his stanchs'...I do have a wife and children...you know far more important things in my life than the 50 Shades of Stanchions

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sold RS, got FOX CTD factory. Happy now. No more RS in next 1000 yrs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Glad you finally got what you are happy with. That being said, Fox had similar cases too (posted on suspension forum) for a while too, no functional differences at all. As I recall, Fox guys laughed at the poster who called in to express his anger or something similar. A million stanchion pipes were anodized in different batches, some do come out slightly different.

mtbr member
    Never realized the color difference until you said something. It bothered me so much I just "dismantled" all my RS items in a fit of rage with a 3 foot pipe wrench. I'm happy now too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Oooo...come on....
    It just pissed me out. Technically no problem. But lots of my riding buddies have RS Reba/SID/Rev-ion. None of them with the "********" issue like that, and that should not happen with a good brand. For me it was like a "cherry on top of cream cake". Some say, never mind cherry. Others, don't eat cherry if you don't like. For me chery must be good as well as cake. No good cherry, cake's garbage.
    Fox Kashima is perfecly manufactured, and finally no matter how I stare at it, stanchions look EXACTLY the same. Today I had it on maiden voyage abt. 40 miles, Fox is working perfectly, but it's another subject.
    Goooood by RS......oh, I forgot the all could be used as suspention for garden shovels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chunk doris View Post
    I had Reba 29 RL Dual Air 2012. I sold it cause decided to go for 2013 SoloAir RLT Reba.
    Ok forget the colour of the stanchions for a minute. What I want to know is why on earth would you change from the far superior DUAL AIR Reba for the 2013 Solo Air Reba? As the proud owner of a 2013 Solo Air Reba RLT I constantly read about how crap and inferior it is compared to the 2011/2012 Dual Air models, how Rockshox 'dumbed down' their 2013 range, how it doesn't have the same tuneability, small bump compliance etc etc

And you go and sell the 2012 Dual Air and buy the dumbed down 2013 Solo Air? Sheesh!!!

I hope Eb1888 doesn't see this thread. There will be hell to pay!