unrooted

Reba 29 QR-9mm to 20 maxle light conversion

My 2010 Reba 29 is in need of an overhaul, the bushings have a ton of play in them. I would love to just buy a new Fox fork, but not for $700???
    My bike has a 1 1/8 headtube so I'll just wait till I can afford a new bike.

I want to buy this: 09+ Reba 26" Maxle Thru Axle (Black)

This: Rock Shox Maxle Lite 20mm Fork Axle

This: Stans ZTR Arch EX Tubeless 29" Wheelset - 2013

And these: 20mm End Caps for 3.30HD Hub

Does anyone have any experience doing this??? Seems relatively simple. The only additional thing I would need is whatever tools and hydraulic fluid. I think.

This would still be expensive, but I think I can afford the sub $1,000 job compared to the $3,000 bike I would rather have.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wouldn't waste your time. For the price of the lower your could buy a slightly used but serviceable fork.

mtbr member
    It is pretty easy, and the lowers coming with new bushings and seals is a nice touch. Only tools you really need are standard hex keys, a couple sockets and snap ring pliers (which aren't totally necessary but make the job much easier). You'd be getting a basically new fork for $250 + fluid, and the maxle is worth every penny.

Those wheels seem a bit pricy for what they are, to me, but whatever wheels would work.

unrooted
    Joules,

I wouldn't pay those prices in the links, just what I was thinking would be a decent set of wheels. What wheelset would you suggest. Are most of the higher end wheels convertable to 20mm? I would like to buy a set of wheels that are better than what I'll get with a $3-$4000 bike so that when I do get a new bike I still use them, or I'll put them on my wife's bike.

Carbon & Ti rule
    CRC has the Arch EX wheels much cheaper & with the Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    My 2010 Reba 29 is in need of an overhaul, the bushings have a ton of play in them. I would love to just buy a new Fox fork, but not for $700???
    My bike has a 1 1/8 headtube so I'll just wait till I can afford a new bike.

I want to buy this: 09+ Reba 26" Maxle Thru Axle (Black)

This: Rock Shox Maxle Lite 20mm Fork Axle

This: Stans ZTR Arch EX Tubeless 29" Wheelset - 2013

And these: 20mm End Caps for 3.30HD Hub

Does anyone have any experience doing this??? Seems relatively simple. The only additional thing I would need is whatever tools and hydraulic fluid. I think.

This would still be expensive, but I think I can afford the sub $1,000 job compared to the $3,000 bike I would rather have.

unrooted
    Muzzanic,

What is CRC??? I can't seem to find any online shops with those initials

unrooted
    OHHH, Chain Reaction... I bought some stuff through them a few years ago and the exchange rates they advertise are much better than what my credit card company charged. I felt totally raped. maybe they are better now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Arch EX wheelset can be had for about $400 on ebay. I don't believe the hub on the stock wheelset is convertible to 20mm, though. You need the 3.30HD hub for that. To have a 20mm option, look for Arch EXs laced to Hopes.

Carbon & Ti rule
    They have been good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    OHHH, Chain Reaction... I bought some stuff through them a few years ago and the exchange rates they advertise are much better than what my credit card company charged. I felt totally raped. maybe they are better now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd still recommend you buy a new fork over trying to rehab the Reba. You're also likely going to need new seals in the damper/air spring if it's used to the point of bushing wear. You'll also likely find the hard coat on the stanchions is getting worn. You can pick up an X-fusion Slide from Universal for $340 with the VIP15 code. I know it's a little more money, but it's a great fork with a warranty.

CRC has treated me well in the past. I believe if you select USD as the price format it will charge your card in USD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's the ArchEx front wheel only for $215. Get a 15mm lower. Check with Sram.
    NoTubes ZTR Arch EX 29 clincher front wheel 29"
    Go a little lighter and cheaper with a Novatec D711 hub off ebay, Supercomps/brass nips and an ArchEx in your own laceup. about 130. plus endcaps.

usually cranky
    i agree, if you go that route get 15mm qr. a little worse but the maxle system is pretty good and 20mm seems to be going away for all but the gravity stuff.

unrooted
    If I swap the lowers I have to stick with 20mm because rock shox didn't make 15mm for my fork. I would prefer to just get a new fox fork, but I don't want to spend a lot on a 1 1/8 fork. I think I'll just wait and see if I can afford 3k for a new bike.