Thread: Rear Wheel

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Rear Wheel

I have a Trek Fuel EX 8 bike. The wheel sets are Bontrager Duster 28-hole. I ride about 3 to 4 times a week in Nebraska. Yes there are some technical trails around omaha. I weight about 200# at 6' 3".
    My rear wheel set has had issues. The spokes have broken and come loose. I had the rear wheel set warrantied. Know the re
    ar wheel is comming loos. I have gotten into the habit of tightening the spokes before every ride.

Is this a rim issue, or a spoke nipple issue. What are good replacements parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It may be a spoke tension issue. To dish the wheel the non drive spokes end up with 85kgf tension and the drive 110-120.
    This amount keeps the non drive spokes from flexing when the bike hits little or big bumps when it leans on one side in a curve.
    But you can get the right looking dish with a lower drive spoke tension like 90-95kgf. The non drive tension just needs to be correspondingly lower down to 60-65kgf.
    At the lower amount the rim will flex under side loads enough so the nipple can vibrate and turn, become loose and lead to breakage somewhere on the wheel.
    Get the current tension figures for your spokes at your lbs. Have their tech true the wheel with 120-125kgf or so on the drive side and the right match on the non drive. Have him show you the readings on the gauge.
    Home maintenance is either by plucking once you know the correct tone or get a Park TM-1 and take your own readings.