mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Rear tire recommendation

Just gashed my sidewall on my OEM Bontrager that is on my 2011 Trek Cobia...looking for a replacement. I am a 300lb Clyde on a 23" frame. I always run max pressure, because if I don't I am guaranteed a pinch flat. The rear tire was a 29x2...looking for something higher volume. I have been OK with the tire on hard packed, but it sucked in anything loose. I want something that will do better in gravel, rocks, and mud, while also being OK on pavement and maybe even resistant to sidewall gashes. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    These are the tires I've run:

Spesh Purgatory Control 2.2
    Spesh Purgatory Grid 2.4
    Spesh Ground Control 2.1
    Spesh Ground Grid 2.3
    Spesh Captain 2.0
    Spesh Fast Trak LK 2.0
    WTB VilociRaptor

Yes, I'm a fan of Spesh tires...anyway, for a rear tire (from what I've run) I'd suggest the GC as it has nice grip in turns & it'll give before it brakes loose. It's also a decent volume tire & I've ran it as low as 20psi; I weigh 190lbs geared up...but I've weighed 225lbs butt ass naked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will have to check out spesh tires. Never heard of them before.

I am looking for something around 2.25. That is probably As large as I can go in he back before I rub something. Might bump the front up to a 2.35 then.

Also, I can't air down period. Not on my current rims with tubes anyway. I run my rear tire at the max psi which is 50. I probably flatten it to the point where a 150lb-200lb rider would airing down.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Spesh is slang for Specialized. The Grid models are UST with stronger side walls, they can take a hell of a beating & Spesh has a no questions asked 90 day 100% return policy. So, you can try them out for a couple of months & if you don't like them return them & get your money back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Geax Saguaro TNT (tubeless) have nice thick sidewalls and are priced right, and get excellent traction as a rear tire IMO. If you are running Stan's wheels though, these can be extremely to mount...not sure what wheels you are running, just throwing that out there...
    Maxxis Crossmark LUST also a great tire, a little pricey though...
    Spesh Purgatory up front is an awesome choice...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been riding specialized control captains on rocky trails with a lot of roots and during the wet months the trails stay pretty muddy all of the time. I absolutely love them, it's almost time for a new back tire now and it will be another captain for sure.

I'm with stupid
    The captain is a pretty good back tire get the 2.2 and then you have your choice of how beefy you want the side wall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    The captain is a pretty good back tire get the 2.2 and then you have your choice of how beefy you want the side wall.
    +1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    He said he rides in mud & the Capt's I had didn't do well. That's why I suggested the GC over the Capt's & FT.
    Last edited by Call_me_Tom; 09-13-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: didn't not did...dooooh...!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Agree, the Ground Control hooks up well in DG.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've run mostly Crossmark and Ignitors, 20 psi, which works until the trail gets really loose and I don't get flats. Lately I've been trying a WTB Bronson in the back with good results as our trails get looser from lack of rain. It's heavier than the others but I don't really notice the difference in the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For now I ended up getting a Bontrager FR-3 for he front and moving the 29x2.25 bontrager 29.3 to the back. I have the volume I want now and everything fits. He FR-3 is a beefy monster. The tire is so thick it'll me forever to mount. Nice and solid though. Still on a quest for a beefier rear, but I should be OK for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369 View Post
    For now I ended up getting a Bontrager FR-3 for he front and moving the 29x2.25 bontrager 29.3 to the back. I have the volume I want now and everything fits. He FR-3 is a beefy monster. The tire is so thick it'll me forever to mount. Nice and solid though. Still on a quest for a beefier rear, but I should be OK for now.

Those are some beefy tires - should treat you well. I'm late posting to this thread, but seeing the Specialized Ground Control 2.1 as a recommendation to a person needing strong sidewalls caught my attention. The GC made it for <10 rides for me before the sidewall cut, and the threads were starting to show after about 5 rides. I would definitely not recommend this as a durable tire, at least not where the sidewalls are concerned.

I'd recommend the Panaracer Rampage as one good alternative, and I'm going to be trying the Schwalbe Hans Dampf shortly. I've also heard good things about the Maxxis Ardent 2.4, although I have no time on them myself. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah. I was super impressed with the FR-3. I liked the tread pattern and the beefiness. It feels more solid on my bike in the front. Its heavier, but at my weight I am not sure how much a few hundred grams matter. I wish they made a 2.25 version as I would run it both front and back.

The problem is, I don't think I could fit bigger than a 2.25 in the rear. Maybe a 2.30 at best. There is still clearance to the frame, enough for probably a 2.4" back there. The issue is the cable for the derailer... you can see it in this pic....

The cable on mine seems to stick out even a little further, maybe due to the 23" frame and slightly different geometry angles. My 2.25 rear clears it with just a little to spare. Throw some mud on the tires and its hitting that cable. No biggie, but anything larger could rub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369 View Post

The cable on mine seems to stick out even a little further, maybe due to the 23" frame and slightly different geometry angles. My 2.25 rear clears it with just a little to spare. Throw some mud on the tires and its hitting that cable. No biggie, but anything larger could rub.
    Interesting - I hadn't heard of that issue before. I know on my bike it is the front derailleur that is an issue - I have very little clearance there.

Could you get a little creative with this - maybe add a piece of cable housing between the upper stop on the seat tube and the front derailleur, and then use zip ties to pull the housing/shifter cable closer to the frame? I've never tried something like that, and it might not be stiff enough to not affect your shifting performance, but it might be worth a try; I just can't think of any smaller volume tires that are built overly durable since they seem to be more race-oriented.

If you do try the housing/zip ties, let me know how it works.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I just can't think of any smaller volume tires that are built overly durable since they seem to be more race-oriented.
    Actually, one tire does come to mind. I looked at a Specialized Captain Armadillo (29x2.2) in the store one time, and it was a surprisingly beefy tire. The Aramadillo tires have the reinforced sidewall. I bought the Ground Control instead, and I regret it now. I've never used the Captain tire so I can't say anything about it's performance, but it does have a pretty continuous center tread line, so I would expect it to roll pretty fast. Anyway, just a thought...

Another option might be a Schwalbe Nobby Nic with the SnakeSkin option. They come in a 2.25, and in several different compound options. Schwalbe's get pricey, so it can be an expensive experiment if it doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My local bike shop has turned me, all my friends, and everyone else that works there onto the best setup ive used. Specialized Purgatory in the front, Specialized Captain in the rear. Kenda and maxxis also have a good line of stuff but I prefer the Specialized