29er for the Soul

Rear hub Shimano FH 629 vs. FH-665 -confused -

Hi,

I am looking at a new hub for my hardtail 29er. I narrowed down to two hubs, the Shimano FH 629 and the FH-665.

I have been reading a lot about these and have come away a little confused.

They both have 32 POE and there prices are a few dollars off from each other. The M- 629 is supposed to be 29er specific and supposed to handle more torque. I have read that they are the same, but the paint is different.

But then I read on Amazon.com the following base discriptions of each hub.

FH M629 hub specs off of Amazon show the following
    Product Features
    Double Contact Seal to shut out water and mud
    Parallax hub design
    New freehub body to take the extra torque of a 36 tooth cassette
    Shimano Reference Number: HB-M629

FH- 665 hub specs off of Amazon show the following
    Product Features
    Angular contact bearings
    Double contact seals
    Shimano Reference Number: FH-M665

From the descriptions, they seem different. Not sure what parallax hub design is, but it looks to be a hub design that came out in the mid 90's. Old technology?

I have read good reviews about the m665, but it's hard to find reviews on the M629. The angular contact bearings are supposed to be good, but is it available on the M629?

I ride rocky sections both steep up and down, mixed in with smooth hardpack. Which one is going to be stronger or does it matter?

Any enlightment would be appreciated.

Thanks

So Cal Rod
    Last edited by teachndad; 09-05-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: change title

mtbr member
    They are the same hub more or less...they use the exact same "29er" freehub body. One is black, one is grey.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    They are the same hub more or less...they use the exact same "29er" freehub body. One is black (M629), one is grey (M665).
    This.

I have owned both. They share the same part numbers, except for the hub shell because the paint is different. I guess this (the different paint) is what makes the M629 a 29er specific hub

From what I understand, at one point early on, they redesigned the freehub, and it is supposedly stronger than the first iteration of the M665, but I don't work at/for Shimano, so I can not verify this. I can say that I toasted a M665 freehub in about 6 months, and it was replaced with one of the supposedly redesigned freehubs and it has been OK for 2.5 years although with relatively limited use these days.

If you are a large human (such as myself at 6'5" / 265+lbs), have pretty decent leg strength, and push hard on very steep hills, you may be pushing the limits of these freehubs. You would know if this is true because you would have toasted a few Shimano freehubs recently. If not, and you're of average size and strength, they should be fine and durable.