mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. Rear Hub Failure

The rear hub (Shimano) on my 2 month old Airborne Goblin failed today. Seems the pawls (sp?) started going one by one until I had the opposite of a fixie - the nonesie.

Is this kind of failure common?

I've already contacted Airborne so they should be looking into how to get me fixed. This really has me thinking about putting extra money into the hubs when I build my first set of replacement wheels for this 29er.

EDIT: Whoops, it's not a Shimano hub. The writeup at Airborne says they're:

KT HiFlange Sealed Bearing 32H
    Last edited by iso100; 11-11-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Wrong Hub Manufacturer

ballbuster
    It happens....

Check with the manufacturer if they sell the freehub assembly separately. If it fails again buy a new hub.

Or, if you don't mind spending the cash, lace up a new wheel with a good quality hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Oh, so I can probably just replace the freehub without replacing the whole thing? Sweet!

When I replace these wheels (probably sooner now) I think I'm going to order from Light Bicycle and go tubeless. I'll put extra money in the budget for better hubs for sure after this.

Thanks for the information!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have had that happen. Now I've built my wheels with Dt star ratchet rear hubs. Simple maintenance. 36T upgrade stars are now down to $75.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I just pulled the wheel and removed the cassette. I couldn't find any obvious way to get the freehub out. Must be el-cheapo Chinese stuff and non-repairable. Let's see what KT/Airborne can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I have had that happen. Now I've built my wheels with Dt star ratchet rear hubs. Simple maintenance. 36T upgrade stars are now down to $75.
    Cool. I'll keep those in mind when I build my next set of wheels. I really want to go tubeless after having two slow leaks due to thorns in the past 3 rides.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, I think you're right - I wouldn't hold my breathe for a resolution short of a whole new wheel.

However, as others have said, most aftermarket rear hubs have parts available. Just check before you put down the credit card when you shop for your next wheels.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm hoping Airborne's customer service comes through and pays to have a local shop rebuild my rear wheel with a working hub. I don't even want an upgrade... I just want my bike back.

I'm definitely doing my homework on hubs for the new wheels. This situation is pushing me more quickly to building up a new wheelset to go tubeless again on. I was tubeless (UST - sealant free) on my 26er and still have the wheels and tires... just can't do anything with them and nobody's buying them from me, LOL.

Gonna have to make that my Christmas gift to myself.

Ride Everything
    Shimano sells replacement freehub bodies for their hubs. Prices vary, but it's sometimes more cost-effective to purchase the entire hub and just use the freehub body.

As others have posted, try to stick with brands that offer spare/replacement parts.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Agreed. What failed is what came with the bike so assuming it's warranteed along with the rest of the bike I'll have to let Airborne handle it. In the meantime I'm going to go sell my left nut for Chris King hubs for a new wheelset build. (LOL)

Ride Everything
    There are a lot of good, easily-serviceable hubs out there that don't cost an arm-and-a-leg (or left nut). I've had good results with hubs from White Industries and BikeHubStore.com
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just got contacted by Airborne support. They're sending me a new wheel. Very cool.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    'Down to $75'?

They were $40 until about 6 months ago. I upgraded all of my DT240s hubs to 36pt except for one.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by iso100 View Post
    Oh, so I can probably just replace the freehub without replacing the whole thing? Sweet!

When I replace these wheels (probably sooner now) I think I'm going to order from Light Bicycle and go tubeless. I'll put extra money in the budget for better hubs for sure after this.

Thanks for the information!
    Yep... I just broke my XT M775 freehub. Other posters are right on this. I found a complete new XT hub for around $50, which is the price of the freehub body by itself. The bonus of buying the whole Shimano hub was that it came with Shimano's awesome QR skewer. I just disassembled the hub and swapped the freehub over, and put it all back together. Easier than re-lacing the whole wheel. It took me like half an hour for the whole job, and that included beer sips in between steps.