Superhero in training

Rear derailleur Pulley issue

Hey guys/gals,

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, I'm still new to this site. I also put it in the general discussion, but thought this might be better? I have a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp FSR 29er and it seems like one of the cogs/pulley wheels is loose on my rear derailleur. It's the one closest to the ground/closest to the bottom of the front sprocket. I took the cage apart and cleaned the pulley, put it back together and tightened it down, but it slips off on really bouncy terrain.

The derailleur is a SRAM X9

What happens, is that the chain comes off of the pulley and runs right next to it. Even though I tightened down the pulley, there is still a good amount of free-play, and the pulley doesn't always spin true.

Any thoughts? has anyone experienced this? I was just going to order another pulley/cog, but thought I would check with the masses on here. Besides the pulley being bad, could the chain also be stretched? Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check your chain length, as you may need to remove a link. Is this happening in your smaller cog-sprocket combos?

noob
    is the pulley on in the right direction. I have x9 and i put the lower pulley on the wrong direction and had the problems you are describing. once i put it on the correct direction all was good
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    Check your chain length, as you may need to remove a link. Is this happening in your smaller cog-sprocket combos?
    To do this, remove the chain and wrap it around the largest cog and largest ring, bypassing the rear derailleur. Determine where the chain meets, then add two links. That's how long your chain should be.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Superhero in training
    Thanks for some info guys. For some reason the pin/rod that the black pulley sits on it straight, it's the plastic pulley that will move back and forth.

Chain- it's strange that it wouldn't be the correct length. I bought if off of a guy who raced for a shop. I would think it would be correct, but you know what they say when you assume things. My first thought was that it may have stretched from the previous owner riding it hard? I'll def double check the length. It only makes sense to make sure it's correct.

trueblue- Interesting. I'll double check to make sure it's going the right way. I would have never thought of that. (btw: Go Brew Crew!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There have been several postings about this issue on the X9 derailleur. Not sure what the resolution was - if any.
    Look around in the drivetrain forum. I'll see if I can find some.

Found a couple but not much help.
    200mi Sram 2x10 fixed with 5k shimano pulley

SRAM X9 2X10 Lower Jockey Pulley Issue...
    Last edited by Slash5; 10-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.