mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Rear derailleur fix

I recently bought a new trek marlin. After a few rides, my rear derailleur broke. My bike had a sram x4 and I wanted to upgrade it a little. I bought a sram x7 for it. Will this derailleur work without upgrading anything else on the bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like your style. Buy first. Ask questions later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    lol. I'm new at this. I just wanted to see if I could fix it myself, but I couldn't. So, yes thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    You upgraded +3. X7 will definitely make you faster.

seriously, the 9-speed X7 should work fine with no other changes needed, the 10-speed may work, but I wouldn't try it.
    Also, you should check if the original der. was a long/medium cage der and have the new one match as well.

Edit: NM, you already bought the der. Just slap it on there and see if it works. swapping out rear der. isn't that hard, it's the getting them to shift right that's the difficult part.

MTB B'dos
    If you only broke the derailleur and not the hanger as well it should bolt right on, if you bent or broke the hanger, you will need the specific hanger for your frame. As said if it's a 9spd X7 then it should work fine, if it's a 10spd, don't think so - not a SRAM man so don't research that stuff as much.
    This site should help you do the replacement/repair yourself once you have some basic tools Park Tool Co. ยป ParkTool Blog
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If the new derailleur is the same # of speeds as the old one and the shifter, it will work fine. 10 speed derailleurs work differently than 9 speed, SRAM differently than Shimano. You probably should have the derailleur hanger checked at your LBS - most anything that would destroy a derailleur would also tweak the hanger.