mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Rear derailer for 1x10ish setup

Any specific derailers work better for a 1x setup? I know you want a short arm, but didn't know if there was anything more than that.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Definitely either a Shimano XT, XTR Shadow Plus or SRAM X9, XO, or XX Type 2 derailleur depending on your budget and if you like Shimano or SRAM.

mtbr member
    If you don't want to spend XTR-ish $$$, go for Shimano ZEE. That's what I did and I've been impressed so far. In the past, (too many years to count...) I always went with XT or X9. I have ZERO complaint about the ZEE stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Shadow +, SLX or XT.

mtbr member
    ZEE is Shadow + (clutch!). No chain guide and no chain slap/drop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What is a clutch in mt bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shimano ZEE

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoweShow View Post
    What is a clutch in mt bike?

Shimano ZEE Shadow Plus RD-M640 FR (Free Ride version) (Fits 11-36T cassette)

It has a friction clutch and resists forward motion of the derailleur cage, which helps keep the chain under better tension for less chain slap in rough terrain. It works. Just switched from a SRAM X0 rear derailleur and X9 shifter.. Hated the upshift resistance of the SRAM, so friggin hard.

The Shimano Saint SL-M820 shifter I have paired with the ZEE derailleur is MINT. Easy perfect shifts like my old Shimano XT 9 speed setup.

squish, squish in da fish
    +1 on the zee, durable & cheap. outta the box to the trail in an hour. very lil tuning to get dialed and havent touched it since. have about 250 miles on it with a couple direct hits off rocks. takes a lickin' n keeps on tickin'. i paid 90 for mine and havent regretted it. i use the zee shifter and no complaints there either. nice crisp sound shifts. i did lose the cover and when i asked jenson how to go about purchasing a new one they sent me a new shifter. what a surprise that was. i do use a tensioner with it but thats just so i get extra chain clearance. def not needed or a guide like said before

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A few of my bikes have the ZEE 11-36 compatible, and with my XTR rear shifter it's a perfect 1x10 spec. Less than $80 online at some places. I have XTR mid and long cage on other bikes, and beside the 50 gram difference I can't tell which is which in performance when set up with a clean cable and housing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    A few of my bikes have the ZEE 11-36 compatible, and with my XTR rear shifter it's a perfect 1x10 spec.
    This

human dehumidifier
    I'm looking hard at going with a Zee rear der with an SRAM X-7 shifter so I can still run my 9speed parts.

Yesterday I apparently kicked the chain off in some rocks, then immediately after went to trounce the pedals to get on up the hill. The chain/crank didn't budge and the bike rotated around the front wheel until my public triangle encountered the too-long steerer tube above my stem. At least I didn't endo. The Zee should help with that problem.
    Last edited by wv_bob; 06-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are you sure you can run the zee rear mech with a sram shifter? Never have been able to get a shimano and sram mix to work, ive tried just for sh*** and giggles. Im not sure if the zee has a different design..is the actuation different on the zee/saint shifters? Im only familiar with xt/xtr and srams x9/xo/xx.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a POS X4 here and it even uses SRam 1:1 shifting, I dont thing it will work with a shimano derailleur, but I have never tried it. Give it a whirl and report back your findings

mtbr member
    Front derailleur you can mix the brands, the rear you can't, at least not with good shifting. It has to do with the movement distance with a click of the shifter.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Are you sure you can run the zee rear mech with a sram shifter? Never have been able to get a shimano and sram mix to work, ive tried just for sh*** and giggles. Im not sure if the zee has a different design..is the actuation different on the zee/saint shifters? Im only familiar with xt/xtr and srams x9/xo/xx.
    Yeah it's the key to using 10 speed Shimano with 9 speed parts. Shimano 10 speed has 1:1 actuation. I might need a spacer to move the cable anchor a little, but some have reported no need with the Zee. See link below

in Kensington, Maryland, United States - photo by jwick - Pinkbike
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brmeyer135 View Post
    Front derailleur you can mix the brands, the rear you can't, at least not with good shifting. It has to do with the movement distance with a click of the shifter.
    Typically yes but in the case of 10 speed vs 9 speed, no.
    in Kensington, Maryland, United States - photo by jwick - Pinkbike

Despite my appearance I am not stupid.

Update: Just installed a Zee derailleur with an SRAM 9speed shifter and it works. It's was kinda touchy without the 6mm cable mount spacer mentioned in other threads/websites so I spent $1.25 at the hardware store to fix it, with parts leftover I grooved a 1/4" square nut, put it on a washer, added a longer bolt (m5x12mm) and the factory cable retainer. The nut doesn't exactly fit the recess in the derailleur so I reached in from the other side with a 1/2" open end wrench to adjust/hold the nut so it ended up with the cable lined right up to the factory groove. EZ to do, and works like it came from the factory as a 9 speed setup.
    Last edited by wv_bob; 06-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.