mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Ravens? RR? Other?? New tires for Stan's ZTR Arch EX wheels

Have a set of Stan's ZTR Arch EX on the way and get to figure out what tires I ought to put on them.

I currently ride Bontrager Rhythms with Bontrager XDX 2.10s set up tubeless on a 2011 Trek Paragon. I will use them as everyday wheels - XC/trail riding and local racing as well as XTERRA racing. Typical Indiana conditions, often encounter loose over over hardpack, no mud riding, etc.

I find the XDXs have been okay. Certainly not bad but I think there is better out there. I would no mind a bit more rear grip when cornering.

Strongly considering Ravens or Racing Ralphs.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Etc.

Thanks.

David K

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    One more idea....Maybe I ought to try the Bontrager XDX tires on the wider Arch EX rims before I buy anything new??? David K

Bro Mountainbiker
    I have torn open both Racing Ralphs and ravens. Definitely wouldn't consider either for training.

My favorite race setup this season has been Ikon exo/exc/3c on the rear and Nobby Nic 2.35tlr/snakeskin on the front.

Fast light and grippy combo for rigid bike racing.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've had a full season of RaRa Performance on my EX's. Good grip and fast rolling 600g. No cuts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Some riders tear sidewalls on a regular basis...including tires with heavy duty sidewalls...others have never had issues. Don't let the other poster scare you away from trying the racing Ralph's. If you have had problems in the past with ripping open tires, then that would be a whole different situation and would recommend something with a heavier sidewall....aka snakeskin version. If you've been problem free... There are many good options without the weight penalty of a stronger sidewall.

I've always run not ust tires on ust rims with zero durability issues, but always use sealant. On my 26ers I've been using an ignitor on the front, crossmark in the rear. Rolls good, decent weight, grips perfect in my location. I run the Standard non exo/lust version. I'm still experimenting with tires on my first ever 29er. The bike came with sb8's front and rear....I actually felt glued to the trail on non technical sections. But despite a few successful rides... I knew they would be replaced as soon as possible.

Originally planned on running the crossmax/ignitor setup on my 29er hardtail but a friend highly recommended schwalbe. Just put on a racing Ralph in the rear, and nobby nic up front. Awesome setup for XC riding and still tackles the technical sections with proper riding technique. I think schwalbe has won me over and i regret never giving them a chance on my other rides. It's hard to believe tires this lightweight perform so well. My only complaint is the price...but my local shop has great deals.. brand new, Evo series, for $67 per tire. A lot better then the +/- $90 retail price tag.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Some riders tear sidewalls on a regular basis...including tires with heavy duty sidewalls...others have never had issues. Don't let the other poster scare you away from trying the racing Ralph's. If you have had problems in the past with ripping open tires, then that would be a whole different situation and would recommend something with a heavier sidewall....aka snakeskin version. If you've been problem free... There are many good options without the weight penalty of a stronger sidewall.

I've always run not ust tires on ust rims with zero durability issues, but always use sealant. On my 26ers I've been using an ignitor on the front, crossmark in the rear. Rolls good, decent weight, grips perfect in my location. I run the Standard non exo/lust version. I'm still experimenting with tires on my first ever 29er. The bike came with sb8's front and rear....I actually felt glued to the trail on non technical sections. But despite a few successful rides... I knew they would be replaced as soon as possible.

Originally planned on running the crossmax/ignitor setup on my 29er hardtail but a friend highly recommended schwalbe. Just put on a racing Ralph in the rear, and nobby nic up front. Awesome setup for XC riding and still tackles the technical sections with proper riding technique. I think schwalbe has won me over and i regret never giving them a chance on my other rides. It's hard to believe tires this lightweight perform so well. My only complaint is the price...but my local shop has great deals.. brand new, Evo series, for $67 per tire. A lot better then the +/- $90 retail price tag.
    BTW, I never tore a snakeskin. It was actually the weight weenie version on the front wheel of my bike at Nationals that I ripped yeah, it sucked. I think it has to do with 1-terrain. If you arent riding on sharp rocks, your not gonna tear open tires and 2- if you just poke around on those rocks, youll probably be fine. But if you rip and roar downhill over those rocks, your looking for trouble.

The snakeskin out back worked very well. The only downside is that I diddnt get a lot of life out of it, but that is something to be expected out of a race tire.

Just over all, I have been happier with the IKON out back. 1- it has a stouter casing, 2- its slower wearing. It also feels fast rolling. But I dont know the numbers on it.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I have used Aspens (rear), racing Ralph (non SS, front and rear), rocket Ron front (non SS) in south east and south west Michigan with good results. All very fast. I prefer the Ron/aspen combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    BTW, I never tore a snakeskin. It was actually the weight weenie version on the front wheel of my bike at Nationals that I ripped yeah, it sucked. I think it has to do with 1-terrain. If you arent riding on sharp rocks, your not gonna tear open tires and 2- if you just poke around on those rocks, youll probably be fine. But if you rip and roar downhill over those rocks, your looking for trouble.

The snakeskin out back worked very well. The only downside is that I diddnt get a lot of life out of it, but that is something to be expected out of a race tire.

Just over all, I have been happier with the IKON out back. 1- it has a stouter casing, 2- its slower wearing. It also feels fast rolling. But I dont know the numbers on it.
    After putting a few rides on my non snake skin racing ralph...I can definitely understand why guys have problems tearing the sidewalls. I havent actually torn the tire yet but when setting it up tubeless, its the only tire ive ever used where you really gotta let it settle in and seal properly. Once you put the PSI anywhere above 25 during the setup process, you literally hear the sidewalls tearing open and air spraying out. Ive always run not UST tires, on a UST rim with sealant and never once had this happen. Ive run maxxis, kenda, and hutchinson and they just sealed up effortlessly. With the non SS evo racing ralph, Id literally get to the point where i felt the tire was all sealed up...then 2 seconds later you hear a small pop and air starts spraying out the sidewall...then repeat the shake process....2 seconds later another sidewall hole...repeat and shake well..another little hole. And after taking a very close look at the sidwalls..you really notice how thin they they are..you can see the fibers through the outside rubber.

I absolutely love the way the schwale tires feels on the trail...but if your looking at their weight weenie versions (evo series, NON SNAKE SKIN) Id really only recommend it for the true XC guys at this point. Ive got a nobby nic up front with Snake Skin...that tire sealed up extremely easy...no sidewall sealant leaks. I felt I could go ride immediately after installing.

So regarding my last post...i think i spoke a little too soon. I would definitely sacrifice a little weight to have the SnakeSkin side walls, unless its a straight XC race bike or non rocky trails. I rode the regular evo racing ralph today and it held up fine...but i didnt have that secure "peace of mind" feeling where i can point and shoot the bike on the downhills. I felt like I was watching my lines and taking the safer route. I may end up replacing it with a snakeskin version, and keeping the weight weenie ralph for competitive rides. Or maybe even give the Ikon a try in the rear. I hear its not a faster roller...but it physically looks like it would last longer and be a little more durable for aggressive riding.

Things have really changed in the last 2-3 years. I really miss the days where you could get a top of the line tire for $40-50. You could at least purchase one, test ride it...if you dont like it..then move on to the next. Now the price tags are closer to 80-100 dollars! No wonder these forums have so many guys asking about tires before purchasing! I pay close to that price for my car/motorcycle tires!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Follow Up - RR Back and NN Front -Thanks

All: Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. I decided to go with a Snakeskin Racing Ralph in the back and a Snakeskin Nobby Nic up front for Fall, Winter and Spring. I appreciate the collective wisdom of MTBR. David K

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Mounting Racing Ralphs on the Arch EX

Quote Originally Posted by David K in Indy View Post
    All: Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. I decided to go with a Snakeskin Racing Ralph in the back and a Snakeskin Nobby Nic up front for Fall, Winter and Spring. I appreciate the collective wisdom of MTBR. David K
    How did you find these for mounting on the rim? I couldn't get my Maxxis tyres on and I'm really worried about having to do a temporary field repair so am thinking of replacing them with Racing Ralphs. But before I spend another $150+ I want to make sure they are mountable - at least when alone, wet and tired on a trail somewhere!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I do not recall having any problems mounting the tires to my Stan's rims. David K