mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Ralphs + WTB + tubeless = No Joy?

So for the past few seasons, Schwallbe has been my favorite tire. Now I don't know what to think. Their claimed weights are totally out to lunch (another story all together)

Would you return this tire or ride it?

Chronicles my fun with weight issues...

But the real problem now is they just won't seat on my WTB i19 rims tubeless.
    Tire: Racing Ralph, 29 x 2.25 Snakeskin Tubeless
    Rim: WTB i19

One rim has Stans yellow strips, the other has gorilla tape. Both have stans stems.

I tried myself, and now I have tried 2 good bike shops and nobody can get this tire/ rim combo to work.

The rims are cheaper than the tires, so is there a 420g aluminum rim that works with these tires I can try instead? i'm literrally stumped. I want these tires but I don't want tubes...

Help.

mtbr member
    I have had the same problem
    Did you try putting a tube in it to seat the beads and form the tire?
    then pull the bead on one side, remove the tube.. install stem and sealant
    when reseating the bead on that side use a little spray of soapy water around the beads and an air compressor..
    pop, pop.. seats right up

since the casing on Schwalbe tires is so supple
    new out of the box, they need to be formed first

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ralph + WTB = No Joy?

You can't get the bead to seat or it doesn't inflate at all? If its inflating but you can't get the bead to seat then try brushing some straight liquid soap on the bead and rim with a foam brush. I think the max tubeless pressure for these are 50 psi(I believe it says on the tire what the max pressure is). You might need to pump it up close to that to get the bead seated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just experienced the same issue with a Rocket ron snake skin. I've tried the insert tube to bead one side method. I've also taken out the valve core to get full air flow but that didn't work either. I'm trying to mount on Enve rims and it seems like the tire is too big, too much slop. Gave up and installed a competitor tire and it beaded up no problem on the first try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Second on what flyinmike did. I'm running rocket ron front and nobby nic rear on i19 rims,both tl ready. I tried the schwalbe recommendations of swiping sealant on the beads and that was a joke. Did the tube and soapy water next and it was golden with snappy "pops" as the beads snapped into place. I did use the wtb tape and valves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Are these the i19 speed discs or the i19 frequency rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i19 frequency

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well to update I finally achieved that glorious POP! of the tire seating on the rim. I was ready to give up on Schwalbe all together. I was shopping for other tires. Now I really want to ride the Michelin Wild GripR2, Continental X-King (protection), the Maxis ikon, ardent, and beaver. All of which I'd consider in the realm of the Ralph as far as traction/ rolling resistance. Do any oy you have experience with any of these?

I blew the sidewall on the Crossmark I had been running after maybe 50 hours. So I had to buy something to keep riding and low and behold a shop I went into had Racing Ralph 29 x 2.25 snakeskin tubeless tires. They talked me into riding one with a tube for a few rides then re-trying. $105 gamble but I really wanted it to work...

I rode 2 hours with a tube, and left it inflated a total of about 48 hours. After that it was still sloppy as heck on the rim. No levers required to take the tube out. I debated only popping the bead in a small spot and cutting the tube out but that would have been last resort. I also considered buying a different rim.

two wheel whore
    Way to keep at it. I had to walk away from trying to get RaRas to seat on some Sun Ringle Charger wheels, and come back the next day. Finally got them to seat. This is with an air compressor as well.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I've had problems running RRs ghetto tubeless (but never a problem with HDs or NNs). No problems getting them to seat, but they burped, and finally the front blew off the rim on a ride. The crazy thing was after that, the front wouldn't even work with a tube! It was so loose that after riding for a while, it would develop a gap between the tire and rim, and the tube was exposed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've also had a non snake skin RR EVO that refused to hold air. It beaded up fine, but would lose air at a rate of 15 psi/hr. I rode it 75 miles and still wouldn't seal. It finally burbed and pitched me over the handle bars. They said it could take a week to seal...wtf? It's a 510 gr tire, not a super light sub 400. air was leaking out of the side walls.