Uncle

Racing Ralphs: Is the slightly heavier Performance line more durable than the EVO?

Sorry, this must be the 10,001st post about this tire. Too lazy to read through all the posts about it, so decided to waste imaginary space to ask this specifically:

I have a few 29" Racing Ralph tires, all of which are the old gen tread pattern, including:
    2.4 EVO / Triple Nano / tubeless compatible (x2)
    2.25 Triple Nano EVO carcass (x1)
    2.25 Performance (i.e. stock, non-EVO carcass)

The latter weighs a bit more than the others, and I'm hoping that means that the casing is tougher. Anyone know if this is a safe bet?

I'm not asking about traction here, nor am I asking about the SnakeSkin tires because I'm not shopping for more tires at this time. Just want to know if any of my current tires listed would make a decent rear tire, or if any are more durable than the others in my list.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 03-12-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Warrior's Society
    I find the "performance" version of the Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic to to have extremely thin sidewalls.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I tried the Racing Ralph Performance as a rear tire. I wore it out in about 250 miles - faster than I've ever worn out a tire before. The trails around here are rocky and rough on tires - but, in comparison, I get 750+ miles out of 'comparable' tires like WTB Nanos. I'm 165lbs and typically don't break stuff or wear it out prematurely.

I liked the tire, but lack of durability was an issue for me.

The White Jeff W
    I love Schwalbe tires but personally wouldn't use them as an every day tire unless they were Snakeskin. IMO the weight penalty is worth the extra durability. It doesn't matter how light your tires are if you're walking your bike back to the car.
    No moss...

psycho cyclo addict
    I haven't purchased a performance Racing Ralph thus far. If you pick reasonably good lines and don't generally ding sidewalls then EVO works in my experience. I don't care much about old vs. new tread pattern and I don't mind a bit heavier tire as it has more chance of lasting longer.

I have a herd of Racing Ralph's from years past running tubeless on four 29er's (2009 EVO's, 2010-2011 EVO's and Snakeskins- 2.4, 2.35 and 2.25) and only one of the Snakeskin 2.25's had massive tread wear and weeping spots all over the place.

I run all of these tires everywhere (commute, dirt, rocks and urban assaults; total of 3,400 miles last year) and still have plenty of tread on them. The newer ones definitely wear faster- I suspect Schwalbe finally figured out that they can sell more tires by whipping up a less resilient compound grrrrrh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I used the performance RaRas last season. The rear is nearly warn out the front is still good. The 13 version is a new dual compound, so wear is unknown. I will run the new one this season and see. The side knobs on the Evo versions can tear on hardpack.

mtbr member
    In answer to your question, I think the carcass of the tire is a little tougher, and you should get better tread wear out of it too. That doesn't mean the tread will last a long time, just longer than the EVO. I pretty much hosed the rear RaRa performance on the back of my bike in 5 months - winter months at that - of riding. And honestly, I was never that impressed with the RaRa on the front, but the tires came on the bike, so it's not that big a deal.

Uncle
    Much appreciate the feedback, folks.
    I've not had sidewall issues with many tires over the years, but I don't often run weight-weenie type components. I think I'll try selling them at our swap meet this weekend, and if they don't sell I'll give the 2.4" a whirl as a rear.

I'll keep following this in case more replies come in, so keep 'em coming. Thanks again.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.