mtbr member
    May 2009

Racing Ralph 2.1

Has anyone tried the RaRa 29" in the new 2.1 size. I'm curious about weight, mounted size, and any thoughts on performance.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Light, decent bag and perfect for its intended purpose as a fast rolling race or XC use tyre. Not so great outside of that use and I would look elsewhere otherwise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is this available in Snakeskin? I have a 2.25 RR Snakeskin on the back of my China-9r, runs very close to the frame which isn't ideal in muddy conditions.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Oops, missed the bit about 2.1.
    I have only ridden the 2.25", but my comments about fit for purpose would still stand.

mtbr member

Racing Ralph 29-2.1

Installed one last night on my RDO .Mounted on new ac race wheels.Weight 520gr claimed 495 Mounted right up no air loss over night. Gone riding now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Perfect rear tire for me. Really fast, grippy enough for our terrain (hardpack, loose rocks over hard, limestone type solid rock, no really rooty or damp stuff). I would choose a bigger tire up front. I use tubes by the way. Mine weight around 500 grams. I don't think you can find a faster tire that still has considerable knobs.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Oops, missed the bit about 2.1.
    I have only ridden the 2.25", but my comments about fit for purpose would still stand.
    I to have run the 2.2's for a couple of years now and love the tire (really like the RoRo's as well) but the 2.1 has grabbed my attention due it's weight and smaller size. For me personally it has all the potential (on paper anyway) to be my dream XC race tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I run a 2.25 up front and the 2.1 on the back. I run tubless and love the combo. Mine was also over the stated weight and it weighed in at 525 but schwalabes are know for weights that are all over the board. When it wears out it will be replaced with the same exact tire and this comes from someone that has over a dozen MTB tires hanging in his basement.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i briefly rode (2) in the 2.1 width (the 2012 pacestar ones - not snakeskin). liked them at first then the tread on the rear wore down significantly in less than a month. also the sidewalls never had a chance with rocks and soon had a slice on the rear and a little hole on the front. sealant helped a little but the slice still bulged and both would occasionally lose a bunch of air overnight.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My 2.1's arrived yesterday and I will mount them up later today. They came in at 510g and 520g. Not bad for Schwalbe as usually there all over the place weight wise. I ordered a set of the 2012 2.2 RaRa's in the spring and they came in at 590g and 620g!!!!!!!! Still fairly light for a 29er tire but the claimed weight of the new 2.2's is 535g.

I will take a measurement after I mount them and give a ride report next week after I have had some time on them

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ride the 2.25 SS both front and rear on my Stumpy with great results. They are about 50gr overweight which sucks but I like them so well I deal. I bought a 2.1 which weighed 501gr, only 6gr over listed. The carcass is a lot thinner then the SS but should be a great rear race tire. I've had bad luck with the RoRo up front loosing air on rides so I'm crossing my fingers the Ralph is better.
    Overall I feel the Ralph is a contender for the best rear tire on the market!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

sock puppet

there are other options:

NEW Specialized Fast Trak S-Works - about the same weight as Ralph 2.1 EVO, same lateral grip and better rolling resistance. More volume as well. After riding/racing on Ralphs for few years - Fast Trak is now my favourite as a front tire. I use Specialized Renegade which is advertised as 1.95 but is bigger and fatter than Ralph 2.1. Lighter and faster than Ralph 2.1 as well.

Maxxis Ikon is another contender - I like the way it rolls and it's profile is a bit better (rounder) than Ralph.

Maxxis Aspen is in the same class - though I have not used it so I can't really comment. I would expect that they have about the same lateral grip as all tires mentioned in my post...

Ralph is still one of the best tires in it's category, nothing wrong with it. 2.1 is really small though... I'd go with 2.25 (which is what I have on the shelf, as one of the options).

Quote Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
    Perfect rear tire for me. Really fast, grippy enough for our terrain (hardpack, loose rocks over hard, limestone type solid rock, no really rooty or damp stuff). I would choose a bigger tire up front. I use tubes by the way. Mine weight around 500 grams. I don't think you can find a faster tire that still has considerable knobs.

@trailgrinder
    Thanks for the info, slashed a side wall on my bonty 29-1 tonight and may be looking elsewhere. I have loved the tire but nit sure about durability?

@trailgrinder
    Anyone try the reneged control? Looks like that is what may work for my terrain

mtbr member
    I like the Ralph 2.1 EVO for low weight and value

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am not sure what the issue with the RaRa weights is. I have the 2.25s and they weighed 533 and 534. Perhaps people are getting the previous version which weighed about what people above are getting. Or maybe i'm just lucky.

If you are really concerned with the weight, I would only buy a new in box tire that you can see the advertised weight. If you are getting nearly 100 grams over claim you probably have the older version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought a bunch of Schwalbe tires earlier this year. Each one was a different weight. The boxes and literature for the Racing Ralphs was about 90g and didn't vary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What's everyone paying for the new ralph's right now? I see a pretty big range online.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    NEW Specialized Fast Trak S-Works - about the same weight as Ralph 2.1 EVO, same lateral grip and better rolling resistance. More volume as well. After riding/racing on Ralphs for few years - Fast Trak is now my favourite as a front tire. I use Specialized Renegade which is advertised as 1.95 but is bigger and fatter than Ralph 2.1. Lighter and faster than Ralph 2.1 as well.

Maxxis Ikon is another contender - I like the way it rolls and it's profile is a bit better (rounder) than Ralph.

Maxxis Aspen is in the same class - though I have not used it so I can't really comment. I would expect that they have about the same lateral grip as all tires mentioned in my post...

Ralph is still one of the best tires in it's category, nothing wrong with it. 2.1 is really small though... I'd go with 2.25 (which is what I have on the shelf, as one of the options).

I actually was a Schwalbe loyal customer until I got my hands into S works tires, Renegade 1.95 Rear/ Fastrak LK 2.0 Front and I am sold, lost almost 250gr coming from 2.25 Racing Ralph's

On the other part, Racing Ralph's are grippy and way more comfortable but once you get used to I feel like it made me a better rider.

Specialized tires hold air better too, on the RR there's an average loss of 1psi per day.

They say that S works tires might be very sentitive though, for my riding and tracks they're ok...

Don't get me wrong, I love RR's and got a set on the garage... I kinda understand women having several pair of shoes for the very same feet
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just received my 2.1's both weighed 500 grams. Its not 495 as advertised, but a 1% variation is pretty good.

Message me if you are interested in one of them. I only needed one, but 2 was cheaper. $68 shipped.