mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Race face Next SL 2x10 crankset

Any one got any experience of THIS crankset as opposed to running the 3x10 version in 2x10 configuration. Read some horror stories of the chainring tabs snapping off on the 3x10 crank , but I can't find anything specific on the 2x10.

Any info experience appreciated thanks .

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section . Mods please move (but it is going on a 29er )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race face Next SL 2x10 crankset-race-face-next-175mm-26-38t-10-speed-carbon-mtb-crankset-rfck11nx2x2a175blk100.jpg  

Race face Next SL 2x10 crankset-1338479458107-oekcrbaji0sf-670-80.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mine's been great so far for 1 season, and another teammate's had no problems. Rings shift almost as well as XTR--almost. Can't comment on the included RaceFace BB--I'm running a King.
    The poster formerly known as 800_lb_gorilla

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 800lbgorilla View Post
    Mine's been great so far for 1 season, and another teammate's had no problems. Rings shift almost as well as XTR--almost. Can't comment on the included RaceFace BB--I'm running a King.
    Thanks Gorilla . What do you weigh and what's your riding style if you don't mind me asking ? ( I will be impressed with the cranks if it is 800lb LOL )

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    145-150lb XC racer. Teammate weighs even less, but she pedals hard!
    The poster formerly known as 800_lb_gorilla

mtbr member
    I would wait on the race face, they are way, way over priced. if you really have the carbon crank "bug" go to chain reaction cycles and look for the FSA carbon crank....it is marked down to a crazy price and is stiffer than the xx and xo cranks and just as good as the race face....just my two cents

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had mine for two seasons now. It has held up great and I haven't had any issues. I weigh 165 and race XC.

It was a warranty replacement for a triple ring Next SL where the chain tabs snapped during a race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine.NC View Post
    What would you do if you could find the Next SL for a similar price Wolverine ?

Nice find on the K-Force unfortunately I need a standard BB with no funny adapter shenanigans .

Thanks

fat Biker

mtbr member
    Well i think they are both great pieces of equipment either way and i'm sure you will be satisfied which ever way you choose to go, and if your against running an adapter and the prices are similar than i say go for the race face. just be careful getting them from ebay or places like that because for instance i have herd there are replicas of the FSA carbon cranks so just watch out for that. Finally in my opinion don't be to overly aggressive to pull the trigger on something like this because they always run good deals on places like jensonusa and chain reaction cycles....hope this helps
    - OH YEA! one more thing just to mix it up....personally i love XTR cranks and believe they are great as well and just as stiff or even stiffer than both ones i mentioned previously and you can snag a awasome deal right now at either jenson, pricepoint, or chainreactioncycles for around 399$ for a 2x10 (titanium and carbon arms if im not mistaken) which is a steel. But like i said whether it is a race face, FSA, or XTR they are all top tier pieces of equipment that most people would love to have so i don't think you can really go wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Wolverine . The other thing is I have to watch out for import duties on things from America and such like over here in the UK . Seen some amazing deals for frames for instance but $600+ to ship a frame , seriously ???

Further to this convo do you or anyone else know of an aftermarket blingy chainring supplier for XTR / XX / none standard BCD's ? Other than the custom route from Mattias and such .

Just to satsify the bike tart in me I am looking for red in particular :-)

Fat Biker

There's always next year.
    I think one of the issues with that FSA (and why it's so cheap) is the wacky chainrings you're stuck with there. That makes it less of deal in my eyes.

To the OP-- if you're looking at Next SL cranks, I'd take a hard look at the new model which allows you to run 3x, 2x (in two different BCDs as well I believe), 1x by changing the spider. Still not cheap, but allows for future changes in gearing far easier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    I think one of the issues with that FSA (and why it's so cheap) is the wacky chainrings you're stuck with there. That makes it less of deal in my eyes.

To the OP-- if you're looking at Next SL cranks, I'd take a hard look at the new model which allows you to run 3x, 2x (in two different BCDs as well I believe), 1x by changing the spider. Still not cheap, but allows for future changes in gearing far easier.
    Didn't think of the cooky ring arrangement on the FSA D'oH !
    Yup plus fat bike convertible too on the latest Next SL

This close to Christmas I can't really afford or justify that kind of price tag but it has to be *the* crankset to have at the moment maybe later , nearer summer