Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop29er View Post
    Another good idea! Do you know which model SLX that is? It seems like there are a bunch of them and I can't figure out which to order.
    i'm sorry but i can't answer that question. the LBS takes care of all of my bike needs and i didn't keep the box that the parts came in. same thing with the 9 and 10 speed question... i've got nothing, sorry.

i've got a new set of pedals coming in this week, when i'm in the shop i'll see if i can get the part number on the FD. i'll also ask the guys about 9 and 10 sp compatibility.

the only other pic i have of the FD...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i was unable to get the part number on the FD we used, the guy that i need to talk to was out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    The front you should be able to fit a 2.35. The rear will be determined by the frame. And not all tires are measure the same, even though the sizing says so.

So go for a 2.35 up front and keep a 2.2 or smaller on the rear. Larger up front for grip, smaller in the back for quicker spin up (acceleration)
    ^ what he said. Very common, and practical, setup.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Cereal Killer
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano FD-M661 SLX Front Derailleur - 10 Speed

Here's a link to the type of derailleur that ArmedSuspect is showing. You'll want a high clamp type, and the X-Cal takes a 34.0/35mm clamp. The one in this link will work for ya, as long as you're still running 10 spd. If 9 spd,
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano FD-M661 SLX Front Derailleur - 9 Speed

Should help with your tire clearance, if you're still wanting to run a front der.

Sram has one high clamp, but it's X-5, and from what I've seen/set up, it's not that great. SLX will work great for ya.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh View Post

Here's a link to the type of derailleur that ArmedSuspect is showing. You'll want a high clamp type, and the X-Cal takes a 34.0/35mm clamp. The one in this link will work for ya, as long as you're still running 10 spd. If 9 spd,

Should help with your tire clearance, if you're still wanting to run a front der.

Sram has one high clamp, but it's X-5, and from what I've seen/set up, it's not that great. SLX will work great for ya.
    Great! Thanks for the link. I'm going to go ahead and order it
    New guy...2012 Trek Xcal 29er

mtbr member
    One ? I don't think so,

I have Sram x-7 high clamp down swing and I ve also tried the shimano XTR that my lbs has stock. The Sram had better clearance and I bought it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop29er View Post
    And here's the finished product with the nn 2.25 on the back and the hd 2.35 on the front
    Bishop
    Now that you have been running the NN on the rear for a while what do you think?
    I have the same bike and in desperate need of a new set of tires.
    I want your opion on the size and if any rubbing has occured since you installed.
    What do you think of the larger front tire also?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrode View Post
    Bishop
    Now that you have been running the NN on the rear for a while what do you think?
    I have the same bike and in desperate need of a new set of tires.
    I want your opion on the size and if any rubbing has occured since you installed.
    What do you think of the larger front tire also?
    I REALLY like these tires. As a newer rider, I can't believe how much more confidence these gave me because of the increased grip and shock absorption. I'm not a racer, so weight wasn't really an issue, and I feel like the added traction far outweighs the rolling resistance or weight. I haven't really tested the tires in really muddy conditions, but everything else I've encountered in the Midwest has been awesome. I have had no issues with rubbing, pinch flats, or anything else yet(knock on wood) and I've played with a wide range of pressures.

All told, I really recommend this combo. I wish the tires were a little cheaper, but they definitely were worth it.
    New guy...2012 Trek Xcal 29er

mtbr member

Exi-wolf 2.3

Guys,
    Ended up with a 2.3 going to try and mount on the back..
    I see many of you tried a 2.35 on the rear and a 2.2
    I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Worse case scenrio I'll place it on the front and run the stock bront on the rear...
    Cross my fingers this SOB fits..

davidcarson48

I can confirm this works as well.

mtbr member
    If anybody needs to know..
    Apparently the WTB run small. I have a set of nano raptors on my trek 4900 and the same thing... smaller then the previous tires..
    See below..
    2.3 exi-wolf is the same size ( If not slightly smaller, then my stock 2.20 and clear the rear without any issues...

mtbr member
    After a rigorous ride this morning, the tire, front derailer, and all other components held up.
    Just in case anybody was curious if a 2.3 would fit a 2012 x-cal... Yes.. Again I need to mention a WTB 2.3 maybe smaller in comparison to other 2.3 tires...
    Weighing in at 200 lbs and I ran it all day fully inflated ( approx 45 psi)...
    Great traction, great corning, much better then the stock 2.2 exp bontrager..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2