mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Question on Fork replacement (Manitou Tower Pro).

Hi all,

I would like to ask one of you experts in here a question on fork replacement. I recently bought a Trek X-Caliber 5 and it came with an RST front fork, the specs off the Trek website are...

RST Blaze T w/coil spring, preload, 100mm travel (14.5": 80mm travel)

I am replacing that with a Mantiou Tower Pro but don't know which size to select can someone help? The online options in the drop-down box for the Manitou Pro are...

QR 80 1.125"
    QR 120 1.125"
    QR 15 80 1.125"
    QR 15 80 Taper
    QR 80 Taper
    QR 100 Taper
    QR 120 Taper

Does anyone know which one will fit on my bike?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    None of the above. You need a QR 100 1.125. The QR 120 1.125 will work but may not be optimum. Plus Trek bikes use a special fork trail as part of the G2 geometry. There seem to be mixed feelings on replacing with a non G2 fork - most people seem to think it's not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Okay, thank you Slash5. Any suggestion for a good fork under $500.00?

mtbr member
    Tower pro does come in what u need. U just have to find it. However g2 forks are trek only. Most other forks the offset though not a huge deal many notice the sluggish steering at low speed. Tower pro have an offset very close to g2 so won't really notice a difference.

Tower pro is best option for a fork u don't have to pay out the nose for since its not trek only g2 but tower pro offset is very close to g2. Personally as I own '12 marlin 29er (almost exact same bike, same g2 fork geometry) and I'm ordering tower pro in January for mine.

U need 9mm qr axle and 1.125 (1 1/8) straight steerer. Travel only matters to it needs for what u ride. 120mm travel will work so will 80mm. But regardless tower pro comes in exactly what u need just look at a different site or decide which travel u honestly need and buy one from the website u posted. Other options will fit it frame but will require tapered headset and/or thru axle.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Look around on Ebay for a fork with the G2 offset. I've seen them pop up a bit. Every once and awhile you'll see them here too.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks,

I was looking over the specs of the Tower Pro, read a lot of good reviews as well. It seems there is only a 3mm difference in the offset so I think that might be okay and I am sure I'll easily adapt to any handling differences. I saw that $249.00 deal on PP and my eyes went Sprooooinnnnnnng! Sadly, no size I need. I am certain I'll find what I want. Thanks for your help everyone.