mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Question about transmission?

My 29er owns a 11-36 cassette with 22-36 crankset (2x10). I think the 36 chainring makes pedaling too difficult. I too often come back to the 22, the jump is too big. I want to put a 34, but is there a big difference between 34 and 32? A lot of 29er trail bike like mine come with à 22-36 crankset

What do you recommend for relatively technical singletrack?
    Excuse me for my english, I am a french Canadian...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5340 View Post
    My 29er owns a 11-36 cassette with 22-36 crankset (2x10). I think the 36 chainring makes pedaling too difficult. I too often come back to the 22, the jump is too big. I want to put a 34, but is there a big difference between 34 and 32? A lot of 29er trail bike like mine come with à 22-36 crankset

A 32 or 34T ring is a good choice. I have used a 32/22 double with good results.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5340 View Post

Personal preference. Where do you spend the most time on the rear cogset ? If you don't anticipate "running out of gear" a 32t is a common ring to purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thank you Shiggy and Keen.
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Personal preference. Where do you spend the most time on the rear cogset ? If you don't anticipate "running out of gear" a 32t is a common ring to purchase.
    All sprocket on my cassette use équaly... But I think will change the11-36 for 12-36...probably help my? If I make that, I will take the 34 chainring.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    I wouldn't switch out the rear cog for a 12-36. your 11-36 gives you the biggest range of gears. If you ride the most in the 36 up front for your trails rather than the 22, but its a bit hard, then switch out the front ring for a 34. It sounds like you ride on the 22 front simply because the 36 is way to hard, then get a 32 for the front. This way you will still have a good range of gears on the back cassette to choose from and still have a bail out gear (the 22 tooth front) if you have some good climbing on your trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Good idea MTBPharm, but if I'm not sure, a 33 teeth maybe?

I saw this:
    E Thirteen G-Ring Chainring - 104mm - 33t

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Another way to think about what size you should down size to; in the 36 on the front, how much of the cassette are you using? If you are around the 11, 13, or 15, then the 36 front is probably okay. If you are in the middle a lot, 17,19, or 21, then maybe the 34. If you are always around 24 or 28 then get the 33 tooth front or go 32 front if you are using the 32, 36 rear cogs a lot more.

Sounds like you drop to the 22 front a lot. Is this after you've ridden 36-36 and pedaling is still difficult? If this is the case, I'd say get a 32.

mtbr member
    It seems like the mountain world is moving to the double just like the road world where you have a climbing gear and a flat/downhill gear. Requires a little more conscious choice of gearing but has better results overall IMO.

My roadie has a 34T ring for climbing and a 50T ring for everything else. My 29er has a 24T for climbing and a 32T for everything else. I would rather have a 36T but am a cheapskate and the 32T ring came with the crank (just removed the 42T and replaced with a bashguard).

24/36 is a pretty solid gear ratio, makes for the equivalent difference of shifting 3-4 gears at a time and you only lose out 2 gears to a 44T big ring.