Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Question about Schwalbe tires to replace stock tires

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bosco0633 
#1 ·
So I put a deposit down on the Cannondale SL 29er 4 yesterday. I love everything about it and will upgrade components as needed.

The current rim on te bike is:
Alex DC4.5 29'er, double wall, 32 hole

The current tire will be:
Kenda Small Block 8, 29x2.1"

I know little to nothing about bikes etc. so I really don't know how to read specs and understand tire sizes. I have been reading all night about 29ers after going to a second bike store yesterday. The sales guy told me as a commuter I should not be getting a 29er and recommended a bike that was half mountain bike half racing bike.

He said the stock tires would get eaten up On the road. So I came home and started researching. I want a 29er that is not an option. But when I googled slicks for 29ers I found the Schweble big apples. There are all different sizes and I don't know what size will fit.

If I am reading things right, two sizes of the Kevlar big apples are 29x2.0 and 29x2.35. The current tire is 29x2.1 so will the 2.0 fit or do I need the 2.35?

These tires should work out great for my current riding needs and allow me to buy the bike that I really want.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
If I am reading things right, two sizes of the Kevlar big apples are 29x2.0 and 29x2.35. The current tire is 29x2.1 so will the 2.0 fit or do I need the 2.35?

These tires should work out great for my current riding needs and allow me to buy the bike that I really want.
Those measurements are for the width of the tire. They will fit. The 2.35 Big Apples are the big balloons for urban fun. :D

#3 ·
If commuting is the only type of riding you will be doing, then the 2nd bike store is correct. You should look into a proper commuter and not a mountain bike. There are some really nice commuters out there that will suit your needs far more than a mountain bike will. Not to mention they could potentially be cheaper since you don't really need any suspension.

#5 ·
29ers have the same diameter rims as a road bike/commuter, they just call them 700c which is the metric equivalent.
A commuter or flat bar road bike is nicer to ride, faster, better value for money and unless you are planning to spend some significant time on stairs, or other rough "short cuts" then choosing the mtb would be a bit of a waste. If it is a more comfortable fit for you .... well then thats cool too.
If you choose the mtb and add slicks, then the choice of width is about comfort vs speed. Although, big apples are about comfort and hooliganism! 2.1 is still a wide tyre for road use.
For speed choose a wide road tire, 700c x 38 would be about right on a mountain rim, or a 29 x 1.5 (which is about the same.)

#7 ·
Weedkilla1 you make a lot of sense. My trip to work is about 10 km and most will be on rail trail. Gravel roads and paved roadway.

I also have several trails that I would like to try out locally.

Looks like I need to keep reading

Thanks everyone for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.