Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Pulled the trigger.......Stans/Hope's

After a long few days of non stop reading and bugging the sh!t out of people I finally pulled the trigger on my wheels.

Ended up finding a local seller (dont think he knew how many questions I'd be asking him or else he probably wouldnt have wanted to deal with me).

Stans Arch/Hope Pro hubs.

My only dislike right now is the sound they make. I can already tell I'm going to be annoyed by that while riding. Is there any way to make it stop?

Hub pro evo hubs - YouTube

Now on to tires for tubeless...........

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Whats their weight? I think all the nice hubs are noisy, if you want quiet stick to cheap hubs or just dont stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    Is there any way to make it stop?
    Don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I hate the cracking sound that most hubs make also.I made my last hub a little quieter by adding some grease to the engagement points and pawls, but just enough it wont skip under pedalling.
    But it still wasnt enough, so i got new Fulcrum wheels, super quiet, they literally make no noise at all, im loving them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I consider the Hope Hubs laced to the Stan Hopes to be a modern day bell, that is telling those slow people in front of you to get the the hell out of way because I'm coming through with speed!!

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kbike01 View Post
    Whats their weight? I think all the nice hubs are noisy, if you want quiet stick to cheap hubs or just dont stop pedaling.

with tape and valves in 1860g's for the pair. Not the lightest.

Guess you guys are right. Cant stop pedaling.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchief View Post
    I consider the Hope Hubs laced to the Stan Hopes to be a modern day bell, that is telling those slow people in front of you to get the the hell out of way because I'm coming through with speed!!
    Actually a great way to use the sound! +1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A number of seasons ago I had a wheelset built using Hope hubs. I was kinda into hubs that could be heard but the clacking noise of the Hope was just annoying - reminded me of a card in the spokes. i packed the hub w/ heavy disc bearing grease and it was still loud. After trying to coast less and generally get use to the sound I got rid of them.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Are CK hubs loud as well? What about the DT 240's?

I got em now, so I'm gonna have to learn to deal with the sound this season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sun Ringle hubs are louder, but I like it.

+2 on using it to alert people of an imminent pass.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Are CK hubs loud as well? What about the DT 240's?

I got em now, so I'm gonna have to learn to deal with the sound this season.
    240s are pretty quiet. CKs can vary from low to loud, depending on lube and how well they're maintained - but never as loud as hopes. Hopes are the loudest hubs I've ever heard.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    The stan's hubs are pretty quiet compared to the Hope. They have held up to a season of riding from me, doing some racing, and I cannot complain. I went with Crest wheels so your Arches should be even stronger.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nice color! I agree with others about how loud they are...but if you can get over that, they are decent hubs. Definitely a modern day bell, lol. Any idea on the total weight of the wheelset without tires, tubes/sealant, or cassette?

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Nice color! I agree with others about how loud they are...but if you can get over that, they are decent hubs. Definitely a modern day bell, lol. Any idea on the total weight of the wheelset without tires, tubes/sealant, or cassette?
    I really liked the colour too

1860g with tape and valve's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I really liked the colour too

1860g with tape and valve's.
    Not too bad. Have you taken them out on the trails yet? Any improvement over the stock wheels? I know you were worried about not feeling a difference....that combo should keep you happy for a while.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Yea they are not the lightest I could have got, but for my budget I'm happy. Well I hope anyways. I wont be using them till spring.

Plus I still havent decided on tires. And I thought picking rims was hard. Dear lord I'm going insane trying to pick tires!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yea they are not the lightest I could have got, but for my budget I'm happy. Well I hope anyways. I wont be using them till spring.

Plus I still havent decided on tires. And I thought picking rims was hard. Dear lord I'm going insane trying to pick tires!!
    Tires aren't too complicated but they are something you need to try for yourself. Different locations have different terrain, and what works for one person may not work at all for the next. If your more into XC riding, then look for a fast rolling, non aggressive rear..paired with something more aggressive in the front. Plus some gnarlier conditions may require a thicker sidewall. I've had pretty good luck asking local shops what they use.

A lot of riders are very happy with either a racing Ralph in the rear, and something like the nobby nic up front...or similar. Or if you like maxxis you can do ikon/crossmark rear...ignitor/ardent up front. The new conti's with the black chili compound also look promising too. I think I'll try out a few of their models here real soon. You should also check out the tire swap thread.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Tires aren't too complicated but they are something you need to try for yourself. Different locations have different terrain, and what works for one person may not work at all for the next. If your more into XC riding, then look for a fast rolling, non aggressive rear..paired with something more aggressive in the front. Plus some gnarlier conditions may require a thicker sidewall. I've had pretty good luck asking local shops what they use.

A lot of riders are very happy with either a racing Ralph in the rear, and something like the nobby nic up front...or similar. Or if you like maxxis you can do ikon/crossmark rear...ignitor/ardent up front. The new conti's with the black chili compound also look promising too. I think I'll try out a few of their models here real soon. You should also check out the tire swap thread.
    Yea, thats the thing so many different riding styles/terrain its hard to use reviews for what I'm going to use them on/for.

I have been reading the NoNi / RaRa a popular setup. Pricey tho.
    I alwasy told myself I'd get Maxxis tires cause my buddies bike had em and they were so meaty looking, his bike looked badass!

I hear some good things about specs tires, the captains and the GC's. Any feedback on them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you want a beefy tire, look no further then the NN 2.35...the tire is huge! I bought one thinking it would be similar to other 2.35 tires I've used...and ended up ditching it for the 2.25. Not that I didn't like the tire, it was just overkill for me. The actual sizing varies a lot between models and manufacturers, it's hard to go strictly off the sticker/label size. Some companies 2.4 tires are similar to other companies 2.25.

I used to use only maxxis and have no complaints. They make some good tires. On my last 26er I was running crossmark rear and ignitor front for hard pack/dry. And ignitor rear/high roller front for loose conditions. Decided I wanted to try something different on the 29er which is why I went with schwalbe. There are a lot of good tires on the market and a lot of them are worth trying. The only tire I really disliked so far was the nevegals. It was decent up front, but horribley slow in the rear.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I really like the NoNi tire for the front. I'm kinda set on that one. But at the same time I've read its worth paying the extra cash for the snakeskin version, so its a pretty expensive tire.

It makes me want to try and find a cheaper tire for the rear, I like the RoRo but again the snakeskin version were talkin well over $100 for the pair. Thats at CRC, I went to my LBS and they were selling the NoNi lower end version for $60 per tire.

Would it not be wise to do a NoNi front and Crossmark Rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I like the sound of my Hopes. Doesn't bother me at all.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by wiammaren View Post
    I think all the nice hubs are noisy, if you want quiet stick to cheap hubs or just dont stop pedaling.
    generally. although shimano and dt hubs are pretty quiet. and stealth hubs are completely silent.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Its funny cause I've heard several riders out in the trails last year with this "noise" and me and my buddies all had no idea what was making it. Aside from the usual crack that the dude had a pop can stuck to his tire.

I really hope it doesnt bother me as much as it does right now. Might have to be on the gas 100% of the time, to avoid it. But I'll wait to judge until I actually have em mounted and I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Like anything else you will not even hear it after a few weeks solid riding, I used to live beside a train track , first month I was like WTF! after that I never heard one again yet anyone visiting would. I love the sound my hopes make and yes as a kid I had cards in my spokes all the time,
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

davidcarson48
    I really like the NoNi tire for the front. I'm kinda set on that one. But at the same time I've read its worth paying the extra cash for the snakeskin version, so its a pretty expensive tire.

It makes me want to try and find a cheaper tire for the rear, I like the RoRo but again the snakeskin version were talkin well over $100 for the pair. Thats at CRC, I went to my LBS and they were selling the NoNi lower end version for $60 per tire.

Would it not be wise to do a NoNi front and Crossmark Rear?
    I think a better balance would be a NN front with an Ignitor or Ikon rear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast