mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Public Service Announcement:Fox F29 Travel

This has probably been brought up before but if you have a 2011 Fox F29 fork getting less than full travel there is a known problem. What is happening is that on the air spring side of the fork fork oil is migrating past the upper seal into the upper air chamber (Where you set your riding pressure) thus limiting travel. It is very easy to check if you have this problem. Let the air out of your fork and remove the top cap on the air side. In my case,a 2011 Fox F29 100mm, I should only have 5ml of Fox Float Fluid, not fork oil. I removed around 30ml from both of our bikes. Essentially all the fork oil had migrated past the seal on this side. The change in fork performance after removing this oil is phenomenal and that is why I'm paying this forward. In an attempt to assist in lubricating the upper seal, fox put a foam ring below it (very similar to the foam rings below the lower leg seals). The problem is that when saturated and under violent compression the oil in the foam ring is forced past the upper seal. I removed the upper seal (As per Fox's instructions) and have had no problems since. I'm not sure if this applies to other year models or talas forks but it is easy to check. J
    Last edited by Jaymorr; 09-22-2012 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Fox now has a kit containing a scraper seal (replaces the foam ring) and a new upper seal. I have just removed the foam ring for the time being and it seems fine. J

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Massive thread in suspension forum on this issue...

Bath Oil Migrating to top of Air Piston

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cool, just wanted to make sure it got out there.Thanks. J