mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Is the a problem with my forks

Hi guys a couple of months ago I got a cube acid 29er and when I got it everything was working fine then after a week of riding I had noticed the ride height of my forks had dropped so I went to the shop where I bought it from and got them pumped up then about 3 weeks after then went back to what they were before I got them pumped up but I've only been commuting on it really and I got them pumped up again then I went down a drop and my front wheel dropped and when I landed the left seal popped off so can anyone help me ?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    New bike=take it back to LBS...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Huckin' trails

Is the a problem with my forks

What he said. Don't bother with it yourself, you paid premium at your lbs for a new bike, so enjoy the included warranty and let them deal with it.

Suck that you're having issues with your new bike though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    There are two things going on here. I'm not sure how the seal popped off. I don't think that should happen. The shop should fix that. You should buy a shock pump. Anything you put air into is going to leak unless it's a completely sealed unit, and just saying the "air chamber has seals" doesn't cut it - it's not a CO2 cylinder. Your shocks need to be pumped up, and maintained at what pressure is right for you. I check the air in the shock and fork on my bike every time I ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    There are two things going on here. I'm not sure how the seal popped off. I don't think that should happen. The shop should fix that. You should buy a shock pump. Anything you put air into is going to leak unless it's a completely sealed unit, and just saying the "air chamber has seals" doesn't cut it - it's not a CO2 cylinder. Your shocks need to be pumped up, and maintained at what pressure is right for you. I check the air in the shock and fork on my bike every time I ride it.
    Usually the seal pops off because the air chamber in the fork leg leaks into the leg and pops the seal out. Normal leakage is very slight and won't pressurize the leg enough to pop the seal.

If you choose to check the pressure in your suspension every time you ride, that's fine, but shocks and forks normally hold pressure for months. Of course they'll always show a lower pressure than what you put in even immediately afterwards because of the air lost refilling the pump line - usually about 10psi or so.

I don't think there are two things going on here at all; he's got a leaky fork air chamber by the sound of it. Lots of riders only add air annually with no problems. If it sags in a matter of weeks, there's something wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    I don't think there are two things going on here at all; he's got a leaky fork air chamber by the sound of it. Lots of riders only add air annually with no problems. If it sags in a matter of weeks, there's something wrong.
    I know one person who goes months at a time without checking or adding air to his fork, and it's legit, his sag stays where he sets it. Pretty much everyone else I know has significant drops in air pressure over the course of a week. You're saying we all have defective forks and should return them? Because mine was recently rebuilt. It's smoother than it was, but it still drops PSI at about the same rate it did before. And yes, I know it loses some pressure when you remove the pump. But if you set the sag, and you know your numbers, and it drops beyond that, it's not losing pressure from the pump being taken off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My experience has been that forks and shocks hold air far better than I ever thought they would when air first came out. Marzocchi, Rockshox, Fox - they all hold air amazingly well. If you don't mind having a suspension unit that has to be filled every week, that's fine by me, but I don't see why I would when I've owned plenty that only lose about 10% over a season.

It's an interesting question, and maybe tech reps from manufacturers would have a better answer than either of us could give as to what would be a reasonable industry standard. I just know that if the thing leaks so fast that it pops the seal, then it's not right. How good it is after repair and whether that's acceptable to him, you, or me is a warranty question.

Tires and tubes are by nature microscopically porous and seep air whereas shock air cans and fork chambers are metal and don't. So the leakage will always be in the seal system and that can be made amazingly 'continent'. Even my crude old Marzocchi open bath forks would only drop from 40 down to 35 - if that - over a whole year unless the seals were shot and puking oil.

It's worth noting that the schrader valve can also be a source of pressure loss. The leaky shock air cans I've run into had shot or loose valves.

mtbr member
    Yeah...my shock and fork dont leak either. In my experience with 3 air forks and 2 shocks is that they are completely set and forget. I've never experienced an air shock that needs air weekly...or monthly for that matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post

It's worth noting that the schrader valve can also be a source of pressure loss. The leaky shock air cans I've run into had shot or loose valves.
    Now that's an interesting thought. Since my forks were just rebuilt, maybe that's the culprit, since the consensus is it shouldn't need more air.