Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Press Fit BB's Love em? Hate Em?

I am currently riding a carbon Giant XTC with a press fir BB. Any fans out there? I had to have it torn apart 3 times before we got rid of the creak. I must say I'm not a fan. Any thought or rants? I am currently looking at a newer FS 29er to add to the fleet and I think this is one of my considerations and one of the biggest reasons I am steering towards Yeti SB95C. It seems like most all of the other carbon frames are press fit. I know you suffer on the weight end but I would rather put up with a little extra weight than a creak all the way up the mountain.

ballbuster
    Yeah, I would love to hear feedback too. I'm looking at a Chinese Carbon BB30 frame to run singlespeed, and want to use a Beer Components EBB30 BB. It would be nice if it wasn't all creaky and S***. I like a silent bike.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    no experience with them but opted away from them on my custom build from the few that had bad things to say about them. That and I prefer the old ST BB's.

mtbr member
    How did you get rid of the creak? I have been fighting it since I got my Stache last fall.

mtbr member
    Love the idea but hate using them.
    The LPG

Elitest thrill junkie
    Mine (in an alu frame) doesn't creek. Only took a few months to kill one of the bearings though. Luckily the local bearing shop keeps this size Enduro bearings (Real World Cycles) in stock. We do have a LOT of mud, so it's somewhat understandable. Theoretically it's not going to be much different than a bearing that's pressed into a standard bottom bracket that is secured in the frame. Realistically the tolerances and manufacturing is all over the place and not controlled, as it would be with bearings pressed into a bottom bracket. This is the problem IMO. Press fit is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist for most bikes, but for carbon bikes they need a new standard, because A you can't make small carbon fiber structures easily and B you damn sure can't make threads for a threaded BB, so the standard has to change to facilitate manufacturing carbon bikes, whether or not the bike in question is actually carbon or not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Moderator Moderator
    BB30 on a Cannondale I owned... hated it, bearing life was crappy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I put a raceface press fit BB92 in my XTC and no creaking at all, did you grease the cups before your pressed them in?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Mine has creaked from day one. Probably going to dump the frame because of the creaking. 2011 spearfish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    After not such great luck with others, I've had great luck with Praxis for my PF30/Shimano XT application.

But that won't change the fact pointed out by Jayem: real world manufacturing tolerances are all over the place.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
    It seems like most all of the other carbon frames are press fit.
    I totally agree with you about being anti press fit.

Don't overlook Santa Cruz. Reportedly all their frames have threaded bottom brackets and the even cite the same reasons as you.

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy Aluminum

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeti has all threaded as well.

Merendon Junkie
    Totally HATE them press missfits

transmitter~receiver
    hate
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hate

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Always stand on cranks = HATE

Always sit and spin = LIKE
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Always stand on cranks = HATE

Always sit and spin = LIKE
    Pedal like you mean it (then do the all too often maintenance) = Hate

Pedal like you're waiting for your BB to start creaking=Like

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The trick to all press-fit bb, you put a very thin layer of Honda bond on outside of bearing or outer surface area where it will make contact to frame shell. It forms a rubber like layer but not glued in place. No problem getting it out when needed, all noise is gone!! Mega gray rtv sealer works also.

mtbr member
    Hate.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    I avoid them for the fact that its not as easy to install as threaded BBs. If you need to replace the cups, the second set won't be as tight as the first one, and now you have a noisy/noiser BB.
    Manufacturers do them for cost savings, stick to companies like Yeti or santa cruz, they go the extra step for a more trouble free BB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have had no issue with press fit, just another tool added to the collection. It's not like there isnt 6 different threaded types either.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I have three bikes with PF BB's, I have had creaks and have always found them somewhere else. Most creaks are almost always in another area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    hate em.

The manufacturers did not put them there for your convenience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a Rocky Mountain Element 999 RSL carbon with bb92, the reason they use this bb is because its larger making for larger connecting points for down tube, seat stay, chain stay. This all adds up to stronger more ridged frame. Larger is stronger less flex and last longer. Threaded BB are going bye bye soon, carbon is taking over the world !! Love it !!

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Praxis or beer= no creak

All others- use bearing retaining compound

As stated, pf30 is for structural rigidity of the frame- love em'

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Praxis or beer= no creak

All others- use bearing retaining compound

As stated, pf30 is for structural rigidity of the frame- love em'
    I also have Cannondale Flash Alloy has bb30 with Beer BB. I have no creaking at all. I do use my Honda Bond around alloy cups. Single speed cranking hard out of saddle with no noise. Beer Components with the Phil Wood bearing makes for a great Eccentric bottom bracket.
    Pict shows older pict when I used Shimano crank now have Sram XX1 crank that I love !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Press Fit BB's Love em? Hate Em?-p1050262.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    hate em.

The manufacturers did not put them there for your convenience.
    You just don't get it. Do some research before parroting whatever your bike shop mechanic says.

PF30 is lighter, allows you to use lighter and stiffer 30mm aluminum spindled cranks and provides a wider contact area for tubes to attach on welded frames so the frame can be stiffer by using bigger tubes. For carbon frames, it allows you to eliminate the metal sleeve on the BB, shaving more weight.

All that, AND its cheaper for the manufacturer.

Go ahead and stay with Santa Cruz and Yeti for more weight, higher cost and reduced stiffness. I've got a PF30 BB on my mountain bike, and my next road bike will be PF30.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Indifferent at this time. Have a BEER in my Cannondale frame and last year at the end of the year it creaked like crazy, but it was after a real nasty race. Bike have been overhauled and is fine now but I imagine it will creak again by the end of the season. With that I am looking at replacing the frame with the now discontinued On-One Scandal (this will put me at 3 On-One frames).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't ask bike shop's to do anything for me, I do all my own wrenching except build wheels !! I have good wheel builder do that. I just do what works for me. Learn as I go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    You just don't get it. Do some research before parroting whatever your bike shop mechanic says.
    I have been wrenching my own bikes since the late 80's, I worked in shops for a few years and I don't listen to shop mechanics anymore because I generally think I know better than most....I am no Sheldon Brown though.

PF30 is lighter, allows you to use lighter and stiffer 30mm aluminum spindled cranks and provides a wider contact area for tubes to attach on welded frames so the frame can be stiffer by using bigger tubes. For carbon frames, it allows you to eliminate the metal sleeve on the BB, shaving more weight.
    ...and perhaps you should try listening to those who work on the bikes and less the marketers of this stuff. You sound like a puppet for trek. These things are by no means perfect and they fail way more than you think. They aren't a new idea either. Klein was doing something very close to these back in the early 90's. And I get the idea of creating a larger surface are for a larger down tube connection, but geometry of the tubes and their connections can be made to achieve the same stiffness. And what does 3.7988663223423434% more lateral bb stiffness mean to you on a mountain bike being jarred to sh!t by the terrain at 35mph? Or climbing steep loose rock at 3mph?

...good for them... not for me.

Go ahead and stay with Santa Cruz and Yeti for more weight, higher cost and reduced stiffness. I've got a PF30 BB on my mountain bike, and my next road bike will be PF30.
    show me the cost savings to you for a carbon bike with a press-fit bb over one with a threaded bb. I dare you. That saving is not passed onto to you. And I would not call a Tallboy LTc flexy or heavy. I sure as hell wouldn't call a Niner Rip9RDO flexy. They both have threaded BB's. My current Jet9RDO is press fit and costs the same as the threaded bb rip9RDO or the LTc, "feels" less stiff then either, and I don't want to have another on my next bike. Check into the threads on Bike Forums about roadies with press-fit issues. It's not a fantasy problem.

I voted 'Hate Em'. You can ride whatever you want.
    Last edited by oaklandish; 03-19-2014 at 11:52 AM.

transmitter~receiver

Tool belt alert.
    Did you copy-and-paste the benefits from some mfr website?
    There are plenty of people that have had bad experiences with PF30 BBs. You regurgitating marketing crap in a condescending way doesn't change that.

mtbr member

You don't need press fit to have wider spacing or 30mm spindles.

All I know is that since Press fit came along, the number of threads on this forum related to BB problems has sky rocketed.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Sucks that so many have issues, a creaky bike can really take away from your ride.

I started with a problem solvers eccentric unit that was such a sloppy fit I returned it right away. The Beer components was a snug fit, plus it has a machined knurl on the back side of the cups that bite into the face of the bb shell.

The praxis is awesome, utilizing a collet system to swage tightly in the bb shell.

I highly recommend the use of bearing retaining compound for both bearings and bearing cups.

Hate to sound like a broken record but if it helps someone solve an issue its worth repeating.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I have a Rocky Mountain Element 999 RSL carbon with bb92, the reason they use this bb is because its larger making for larger connecting points for down tube, seat stay, chain stay. This all adds up to stronger more ridged frame. Larger is stronger less flex and last longer. Threaded BB are going bye bye soon, carbon is taking over the world !! Love it !!
    Please provide a link that shows that frame is stiffer than a SC frame. Sorry it's all bs and you swallowed the load. There is one thing that is true, it's cheaper and they aren't passing on the savings to you.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Sorry it's all bs and you swallowed the load.
    lol

mtbr member

Read that off the back of your Specialized brochure?

30mm spindle cranks fit in BSA bbs just fine, E13 have offered such cranks for a good five years now.

The weld/contact area is bollocks, unless you are riding with cranks on a much wider Q factor (you're not) that and tyre/suspension clearance are the limiting factors.

I'm not a fan of Press Fits, much like with BMX in the past they're turning frames into disposable parts for the sake of 5-10grams and a couple of bucks per frame.

I also don't like the amount of iPoding going on with each big brand having a unique standard that is more better-er than everyone else's, despite doing the exact same thing a BSA shell does only worse and less reliably.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I never said it was stiffer than SC frame, and nothing about my RM Element 999RSL is cheaper. The entire 100% of bike is carbon and only weighs 4.3-4.5 lbs for frame. I could have bought a SC Tallboy, I just like my Rocky. One of things that make this sport so fun is having a choice to buy what we want, build it the way we want and ride it the way we want. We share our experiences so ultimately we all have more fun !!

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Is it? I have a 2" down tube on my frame, don't see that happening with a smaller bb shell.

Ventana went with this standard as well and I don't see that company as a schlepy outfit using marketing hype to sell more units.

I'm not arguing or even decided, nor do I feel this one attribute alone will make a huge difference, but from a structural standpoint larger diameter tubing seems a step in the right direction. If not for the creaking issue or if it were threaded wouldn't most feel the larger size is a plus?

mtbr member
    I'm not arguing or even decided, nor do I feel this one attribute alone will make a huge difference, but from a structural standpoint larger diameter tubing seems a step in the right direction. If not for the creaking issue or if it were threaded wouldn't most feel the larger size is a plus?
    I definitely don't want another bb standard but, I can basically get behind this thinking. The manufacturers, however, are not threading a larger diameter shell or even proposing it because their sole goal is to cut this cost from the fabrication. The stiffness/weight argument (however accurate it may be) is meant to obfuscate this fact... because as some have pointed out in this thread that "stiffer and lighter" is always better and apparently cheaper as well....
    Last edited by oaklandish; 03-22-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I see. I would again endorse the praxis unit as this essentially converts PF30 to a threaded outboard bearing set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

All valid, well known advantages for PF30. It's just that for some of us those advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages of creaking and serviceability of a wear item. Though I am intrigued by the Fujibond idea. Alone for the ease of servicing, screwing in and out bearing cups instead of hammering them out and pressing them in, makes the decision for me.

Oh, and do you really think the manufacturer's are passing along the cost savings to the customer??????

mtbr member

Love them or hate them, they are our future. I like the idea that I will never again have to deal with screwed up BB threads. I think once we get past the teething stage of this technology we will all be better off for the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The White Jeff W
    No feelings either way. The SRAM GXP PF BB I have has been creak and problem free, so far.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Hate It! Will never buy another frame with a pressed fit.....My Giant road bike has creaked since it was new in 2011 after many attempts at the LBS to fix.

Lucky that I learned this with a road bike that I don't ride very much.....All of my MTB's are threaded.

Temporary cure that hasn't killed the bearings.....yet: A couple of squirts of WD40 aimed towards each side from the weep hole in the bottom of the frame. Very annoying on a century ride when you are tired....I have wanted to throw the bike in a ditch and walk! Lol......Then I started taking a small can of WD-40

Great for the manufacturer to save money, sucks for the bike owner!

mtbr member
    I see. I would again endorse the praxis unit as this essentially converts PF30 to a threaded outboard bearing set up.
    Those look to be great adaptors/BB's. I checked out that Praxis unit when I built up my Jet9RDO, but the inner sleeve was going to come in contact with a section of the front or rear der internal cable routing (I can't recall which right now) Some riders had filed down the carbon inside the BB shell of the frame to get it to fit. Niner told me this would void the warranty, so I dropped that idea.

Praxis appear to have a reasonable solution to the problem of the creaky adaptors and lower tolerance BB shells the manufacturers are letting out of the factories. But, using this unit transfers the cost (and by a bit more than the manufacturers are cutting) of the threaded shell from the manufacturers to the riders... and adds the "weight savings" back on, plus a little more I would guess.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    Those look to be great adaptors/BB's. I checked out that Praxis unit when I built up my Jet9RDO, but the inner sleeve was going to come in contact with a section of the front or rear der internal cable routing (I can't recall which right now) Some riders had filed down the carbon inside the BB shell of the frame to get it to fit. Niner told me this would void the warranty, so I dropped that idea.

Praxis appear to have a reasonable solution to the problem of the creaky adaptors and lower tolerance BB shells the manufacturers are letting out of the factories. But, using this unit transfers the cost (and by a bit more than the manufacturers are cutting) of the threaded shell from the manufacturers to the riders... and adds the "weight savings" back on, plus a little more I would guess.
    That would be an issue for those with internally routed cables.

I never weighed the Praxis BB but Itís not hard to see there is added mass, I like larger bearings however. As far as passing the costs off to the riders that may or may not be the manufacturers motive, I really donít care to speculate on that, but the end result does eliminate the chance of a cross threaded frame as friz mentioned above.

And honestly (this is where I lose everyone) Iím a fan of 35mm spindle crank designs, and Iíd like to see SRAM stuff a 2 speed in there- a sealed oil bath Hammerschmidt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ...but the end result does eliminate the chance of a cross threaded frame as friz mentioned above.
    Seriously? It's worth all of this pain in the ass just to overcome the cross threaded bottom bracket. You'd have to be a jackass to cross thread a bottom bracket, and if that's the level of your attention to detail, you're going to royally screw up something while you're trying to press in/out your stupid PF30 bottom bracket.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    Seriously? It's worth all of this pain in the ass just to overcome the cross threaded bottom bracket. You'd have to be a jackass to cross thread a bottom bracket, and if that's the level of your attention to detail, you're going to royally screw up something while you're trying to press in/out your stupid PF30 bottom bracket.
    Wow

I was actually referring to factory defects. You need to have frames chased and faced unless your level of attention to detail is blindly trusting a mass (in most cases overseas) manufacturer to hold to aerospace tolerances and quality control.

Itís worth larger bearings and frame tubing, bearing retaining compound is not near the hassle of Stanís or Slime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    and by "blindly trusting", obviously nobody would do anything over-the-top like hand threading in their bottom bracket cups, like you're supposed to do.

For people who like things to work, the threaded bottom bracket is where it's at. You want something that's going to break stupid plastic inserts, or creak like mad and require tons of effort, well you might just be in luck with PF30!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast