mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Poor shifting Deore LX 9spd. Help with derailleur or shifter upgrade

I have a 2006 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, that I have not ridden in a while, but decided to take it for a spin yesterday. It has Deore LX 3x9 drivetrain now. I noticed that when shifting the rear, it is not as crisp as my cross bike that has Ultegra 10 speed, or my touring bike that has Ultegra 9 speed. I put it up on the stand, and it is adjusted, and goes through the gears, but it just doesn't shift as crisp as I would like.

Would a new rear derailleur fix that, or is it the shifter? Would an XT derailleur be the trick? I have heard good stuff about the new SLX stuff, would that be a good upgrade? No matter which derailleur I choose, it will need to be pre-shadow, correct?
    2011 Surly Necromancer/Black ops pugsley
    2006 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you don't ride it that often maybe the chain is gummed up a bit? This could make it sluggish. I'd start by cleaning it. Rags and lube are cheaper than derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    REI has a Jagwire/Novara housing/cable kit with lined housing and coated stainless cable. Run it full length and your shifts will be butter, but not super crisp. I'd go XT shifter for that.
    You could go 10sp clutch at this point for a chain, SLX or Deore derailleur and XT cassette with one or two shifters.
    Check Ribble for good pricing. Change country and currency. Jenson will price match if you call.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I will lube the chain after work today, and see what happens.

I have read in the past that the deore LX der is known to have a weak spring. Have any of you noticed that, and had positive results by upgrading?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    REI has a Jagwire/Novara housing/cable kit with lined housing and coated stainless cable. Run it full length and your shifts will be butter, but not super crisp. I'd go XT shifter for that.
    You could go 10sp clutch at this point for a chain, SLX or Deore derailleur and XT cassette with one or two shifters.
    Check Ribble for good pricing. Change country and currency. Jenson will price match if you call.
    Is it the shifter, or the derailleur, or both? My cables are fine. They are the same jagwire cables and housings that I use on all my bikes. Mainly because that is all my lbs stocks, and they have never caused me a problem.

I guess what I am looking for is that "bang", when shifting. That very positive shift. You hit the lever, and you don't have to worry if it shifted or not. My Ultegra 9 and 10 speed bikes both have that.

Lets say I wanted to upgrade the rear derailleur, which ones will work? Because I have a 9spd shifter, any of the new clutch type shadow derailleurs will not work, correct? The pull ratio is different, between shadow, and pre-shadow, correct?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You will probably be happy with an XT shifter and SLX or XT derailleur. But you need 9sp. Shadow is available in 9sp.
    Ribble prices on 10sp is 73.33 for both XT shifters. XT derailleur Shadow+ 54.32 10sp XT cassette 46.17 KMC 10sp chain X10 21.39. You can use your front 9sp stuff with 10sp. including your front 9sp derailleur with a 10sp XT front shifter.
    Last time I bought this stuff I called Jenson and they price matched and matched free shipping.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by e39-540i View Post
    I will lube the chain after work today, and see what happens.

I have read in the past that the deore LX der is known to have a weak spring. Have any of you noticed that, and had positive results by upgrading?
    I think the "weak spring" thing is only evident when your cables get gummed up or dried out. I ran a bunch of LX 9spd. der's in a row and I never had to replace them for being worn out. In fact, I usually just replaced the cables and housings with the cheap stuff. By the 3rd season they were usually bent (and often still worked) and ready to be replaced. I have XT now and there is not a huge diff. (and I did a much better prep of my cables with silicone grease before I installed).

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.