mtbr member

Please suggest me a nice(and light,and strong) seatpost

Looks like the light bike bug has bitten me and I'm now on the prowl for a new seatpost for my incoming C'dale F29 carbon 3.

These are the specs I'm mostly looking at :

it has to be 400mm ( Frame size is L) and possibly aluminum. My weight is 171 Lbs so I don't know if that has be taken in consideration aswell.
    I've been more than happy with a Thompson Elite in 350mm in the past although it was a 26 full sus bike. I would be more than happy to buy it back unless the 350mm may considered an issue.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

banned
    I would just get another Thomson in the 410mm, they are a great post. I have the same bike and the 350 is not even close to being far enough in the frame. The min insertion of the frame is about an inch longer then the min on the post.

I actually have the SAVE post from C-Dale on mine, and have to say - really liking the 5 mm of deflection so far.

mtbr member
    Right,didn't there was one available in 410 mm,I'll stick with that ! Thanks very much,rep.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thomson.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thomson masterpiece. 190-ish grams.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    You might want to wait until next spring... Thompson is going to release their dropper post. Not sure if you want a dropper or not, but if Thompson is putting one out, you know it's going to become THE standard!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    You might want to wait until next spring... Thompson is going to release their dropper post. Not sure if you want a dropper or not, but if Thompson is putting one out, you know it's going to become THE standard!
    Doubt that, it already has some design issues. The cable attached to the upper portion is a problem for cable slack and it is heavier then most of the competition.

And it is Thomson, not Thompson.

IMO they do make the best designed seatpost and stem.

mtbr member
    Yes, Thomson.

Got a link for the design issues? And I don't mean one to people complaining about the routing because they don't like it or don't think it'll work. I haven't seen any reports of design issues... just people complaining about a product that isn't available yet because of what they see; judging a book by its cover, essentially.

Thomson makes great products and I'm confident this will be no different... it will be the standard. If it turns out otherwise, I will be very surprised.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

banned
    It already has design issues, just look at its pics. The cable goes to the top of the head, needs to be on the lower end to prevent so much cable movement. Gravity Dropper has it already figured it out for years, don't know why all these new posts cannot get it right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What is the next best seatpost to a Thomson? An upper level Easton maybe?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    If you're really concerned about weight you should post in the Weight Weenie section. There are plenty of light posts to choose from - Rotor, New Ultimate, Thomson Masterpiece (you can change the mount to make it even lighter), Easton... U.S.E. and the Syntce Hiflex are nice if you want a little bit of suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    It already has design issues, just look at its pics. The cable goes to the top of the head, needs to be on the lower end to prevent so much cable movement. Gravity Dropper has it already figured it out for years, don't know why all these new posts cannot get it right.
    OK, so you're jumping on the bandwagon of, "it's flawed because I disagree with the way they engineered it." Got it.

But if you read their rationale behind it, it makes sense to me (a non-engineer).

Maybe it's an aesthetics issue. Maybe it's an inconvenience in figuring out how to deal with the cable movement, but to say it's a "design flaw" based on pictures is unfair and makes you sound like a GD fanboi.

I guess we'll just disagree on it for now. I expect pretty much perfection from them in terms of function and can deal with some aesthetic downsides. I'm more interested in a post that doesn't wiggle, doesn't break and lasts. GD is, arguably, the standard right now. Thomson may raise the bar; based on their history, I expect that will be the case. Next summer, we should dredge up this thread again....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    OK, so you're jumping on the bandwagon of, "it's flawed because I disagree with the way they engineered it." Got it.

But if you read their rationale behind it, it makes sense to me (a non-engineer).

Maybe it's an aesthetics issue. Maybe it's an inconvenience in figuring out how to deal with the cable movement, but to say it's a "design flaw" based on pictures is unfair and makes you sound like a GD fanboi.

I guess we'll just disagree on it for now. I expect pretty much perfection from them in terms of function and can deal with some aesthetic downsides. I'm more interested in a post that doesn't wiggle, doesn't break and lasts. GD is, arguably, the standard right now. Thomson may raise the bar; based on their history, I expect that will be the case. Next summer, we should dredge up this thread again....
    I am sure it will work fine, but I do not want the extra in the way. So I will never use it. Have had other dropper posts with the cable at the head and they all got in the way in the down position. Check out the AM forum, there are a lot of riders who do not want it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the information

Rincon Local

Check out Lynskey's Ti Post

Lynskey makes a great ti seatpost - strong, light, and carries a lifetime warranty with no questions asked if you break it.

I picked up one for $100 - they normally sell for $300.
    If you cannot change the world, maybe you should just change yourself. Tom Petty

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have this is a 27.2x400.

Universal Cycles -- Q2 Carbon Seatpost

Very nice, strong, light, inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The race face turbine seat post is a good one in my opinion. I have had bad luck with my thomsons making a horrible creak with time. That's the only negative thing I have with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Syntace P6 Aluminum - excellent cradle design with 53mm rail support and both setback and straight functionality