1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009

play in hope hub

I wasn't sure of the right spot for this thread, but the hub is on my 29er at least. It is a front Pro2. From new the hub has had play in it, roughly 1-2mm at the rim. It's been really irritating and I finally got some new bearings to try and fix it. The hope people said that is what it was probably from....even though they wouldn't supply me new bearings. Buggered if I was going to post my wheel back to the UK or pull it apart.

Well, turns out it isn;t the bearing because the old ones seemed OK, and the new ones have done nothing for the play. Now, I have tried to look really closely at what is going on, and I think the hub isn't so much rocking int he axis, but sliding side to side along the axis. Is anyone familair with this problem or the workings of the hub? I was wondering if shaving a very fine amount off the internal spacer would remove this play?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    I wasn't sure of the right spot for this thread, but the hub is on my 29er at least. It is a front Pro2. From new the hub has had play in it, roughly 1-2mm at the rim. It's been really irritating and I finally got some new bearings to try and fix it. The hope people said that is what it was probably from....even though they wouldn't supply me new bearings. Buggered if I was going to post my wheel back to the UK or pull it apart.

Well, turns out it isn;t the bearing because the old ones seemed OK, and the new ones have done nothing for the play. Now, I have tried to look really closely at what is going on, and I think the hub isn't so much rocking int he axis, but sliding side to side along the axis. Is anyone familair with this problem or the workings of the hub? I was wondering if shaving a very fine amount off the internal spacer would remove this play?
    Maybe the bearings weren't pressed in all the way home, or an internal spacer is missing.

You can try smacking the bearing cartridges back home a bit more using a properly sized socket with a block of wood and/or a soft blow mallet.

Hope has shops in many key countries. They have one in Texas, USA. Have you tried contacting them in one of the shop closest to home?

MTB B'dos
    I've always seemed to have slight play like you in my Pro2 front hub, it gets worse or better depending on the axle configuration I use it seems. What I found helped was pressing down hard on the bar when tightening up the axle. AFAIK there's a known issue of play in these and was sometimes fixed by replacing the inner spacer tube or the bearings as they were slight oversize. I normally experience the worst play using it on my 20mm TA Minute and less on my 15mm TA F34, especially if I do the trick of applying lots of down force while clamping the axle - my bearings right now are absolute toast, so it's worse than usual.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Now, I have tried to look really closely at what is going on, and I think the hub isn't so much rocking int he axis, but sliding side to side along the axis. Is anyone familair with this problem or the workings of the hub? I was wondering if shaving a very fine amount off the internal spacer would remove this play?
    What kind of axle are you running with this hub? Also is this a Pro2 or Pro2 Evo?

The internal spacer is to prevent excessive side loading of the bearings when the hub is clamped by your fork/axle, I can't see shaving it down would help and likely would cause the bearings to wear prematurely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Maybe the bearings weren't pressed in all the way home, or an internal spacer is missing.

You can try smacking the bearing cartridges back home a bit more using a properly sized socket with a block of wood and/or a soft blow mallet.

Hope has shops in many key countries. They have one in Texas, USA. Have you tried contacting them in one of the shop closest to home?
    That worked the best for me with my previous wheelset, Hope Pro 2 / Mavic EX721. I've had quite a bit of play with the Rockshox Maxle 20mm and the Fox 20QR system. Hope said the same thing, get new bearings, yeah, okay, brand new bearings for a brand new wheelset.

I ended up smacking the bearings in a bit more with the socket and mallet and the play was much less and almost gone, I never bothered with the new bearings and saved them for future maintenance. And ultimately sold the wheelset with bearings this season anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the exact same issue with one of my pro 2 front hubs. I thought it was the bearings and replaced them, but still have the issue. I'm wondering if the spacer isn't allowing them to fully seat? No matter how tight I crank down the QR, I still get play.

Single Speed Junkie
    If it is coming from the bearings then I could see one of two possible causes. Either the bearings are not fully seated in the hub or the bearing preload needs to be adjusted. If the bearings are not fully seated then a few light blows with a soft mallet around the bearing will do the trick if you don't have access to a bearing press. If it is the preload then tighten the skewer, 15mm, 20mm axle up increasing side loading on the bearings.

One possible cause could be that the axle is under sized or the thru hole for the axle is over sized. I have seen this a handful of times. Most people are able to get the issue to disappear by snugging up the axle in the fork, but sometimes it is off to the extent where you need a new axle carrier in the hub. If you have a set of calipers measure the ID of the 15/20mm axle carrier of the hub and OD of the axle it self. Measurements should be close. If you don't have a caliper slide the axle in the hub and see if you can feel side to side play rocking the axle back and forth.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fullxtr83 View Post
    I have the exact same issue with one of my pro 2 front hubs. I thought it was the bearings and replaced them, but still have the issue. I'm wondering if the spacer isn't allowing them to fully seat? No matter how tight I crank down the QR, I still get play.
    Does the wheel turn smooth when mounted on the bike? All I can think of there is that the bearing cap might not have enough of a relief cut out allowing the inner race of the bearing to be preloaded.

If anyone is in NM area I'd be happy to help trouble shoot. Issues are sounding similar to when I cut a custom axle for a bike earlier this year.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the input everyone. It is interesting to see others having the same issue. "Bearings" must be the standard cop-out answer for hope. The configuration I have is the QR with a hope QR. No matter how hard I crank the QR up it changes nothing. I'd have to asume it isn't the interface with the fork as it takes only a light jiggle to move it despite the tension ont he QR. LIke fullxtr, I spent nearly $40 on a hub I should have replaced. There would be a few lbs here so I may look into that, although that is usually my last resort as I prefer to work on my own bikes. I may try the mallet idea.....i can just use the old bearings to press.....I did notice that the insertion and removal of the bearings was very easy, although not sloppy. wondering if the tolerances are not tight enough? Oh yes the wheel runs really smoothly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sorry for hi-jacking thread, but I would like to know how to pull out these bearings from Hope pro2 EVO front hub. Some said I could tap out with flat head driver but I could not see any gaps between the bearing and the internal spacer to dive the driver in...
    "Semper Farcisimus!"

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I don't know about hte evo but the spacer in the pro2 will tilt slightly to allow just enough for the screwdriver. I just tapped it very gently on opposing sides and it came out with no fuss. Probably the easiest bearing I have ever removed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't know about hte evo but the spacer in the pro2 will tilt slightly to allow just enough for the screwdriver. I just tapped it very gently on opposing sides and it came out with no fuss. Probably the easiest bearing I have ever removed.
    Thanks, Finch2. I tilted the spacer in the Hope pro2 Evo(it seems to be same internal as Pro 2) then tapped out these bearings with the screwdriver. Easy as you mentioned, thanks again!

-Aki
    "Semper Farcisimus!"

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    As I was thinking, and as Lynx mentioned, shaving the spacer tube seems to have done the trick. I got a bit lazy and took a little more off than I should but luckily found a shim washer that fit with a little tweaking. No play now yay! Bearings run well...enough.

I looked more closely, and it boiled down to the natural play in the bearings - I would assume that this is not an unusual amount of play I have in both sets.. I suppose these things are not designed to be side loaded, and the spacer didn't take this play into account. It must seat the bearings to the side of the race slightly I guess, but I feel this would happen anyway while riding whne the wheel knocks from side to side. I just need to see if there are any problems that arise from the modification, but even if bearing life is reduced, I would rather that and no play.

MTBR Member
    I would think it has to do with Hopes axle end setup.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I would think it has to do with Hopes axle end setup.
    how so?

MTBR Member
    how so?
    Just the way the adapters sit in the axle/hub loosely. I have to get my qr15 nice and tight to completely remove play. Never thought much on it, but that was the first thought that came to mind(regarding Hope front hubs).

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Just the way the adapters sit in the axle/hub loosely. I have to get my qr15 nice and tight to completely remove play. Never thought much on it, but that was the first thought that came to mind(regarding Hope front hubs).
    possibly yours are a little differnt to mine. I have the regualr QR, and the end caps seem to fit fine. Any play there in mine would be swamped by the play in the bearings. Could be that putting enough clamping on your QR compresses the inner spacer just enough....which is what I have had to machine to fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    As I was thinking, and as Lynx mentioned, shaving the spacer tube seems to have done the trick. I got a bit lazy and took a little more off than I should but luckily found a shim washer that fit with a little tweaking. No play now yay! Bearings run well...enough.

I looked more closely, and it boiled down to the natural play in the bearings - I would assume that this is not an unusual amount of play I have in both sets.. I suppose these things are not designed to be side loaded, and the spacer didn't take this play into account. It must seat the bearings to the side of the race slightly I guess, but I feel this would happen anyway while riding whne the wheel knocks from side to side. I just need to see if there are any problems that arise from the modification, but even if bearing life is reduced, I would rather that and no play.
    I just tried this today and all is good. I shaved a tiny amount off the spacer and no more issues. Thanks for the info guys! It saved me from buying a new hub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Based on the play in he front hub would you not recommend these hubs? Was thinking about buying these hubs, they seem to get reviews in the product review section.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would still recommend them. I have another set that I've had no issues with. They are lightweight, convertible, and easy to service.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fullxtr83 View Post
    I just tried this today and all is good. I shaved a tiny amount off the spacer and no more issues. Thanks for the info guys! It saved me from buying a new hub.
    I'm glad this thread has been of some use. Regarding a different hub, I would probably look elsewhere after this, and be willing to spend more but then I'd like to know I didn;t get the same issue there too. Anyone with alternatives welcome.