mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Platform or clipless pedals?

Just got back into mountain biking after a 10 year break. I bought a Ghost hardtail 29er and mainly use it as an all around bike, light downhill at the local ski slope, xc, trail riding etc. I used to own an old Norco hardtail but given the trail conditions around my house (roots, rocks, obstacles) I always used platform pedals. On my new bike the salesman suggested I try a dual design for the various riding styles I do. I went with a Wellgo wpd m17 pedal which has one side spd and one side platform. Tried them out spd last week and found them to be very hard to clip out of in intense moments and this even though the clips were set very loose. I have been riding Shimano spd road pedals for many years now and never had a problem unclipping so I know that it's not a case of getting used to the unclipping movement that is the problem. I'm wondering if I should go back to platforms. I know Wellgos don't have the best reputation so I'm also considering the Shimano xt trail m785 which are supposed to be a better quality pedal. My concerns with those is their platform design. By looking at pictures of them it seems as if the shoe is resting on the platform in front but on the spd clip on the back. I can't imagine going down a full downhill run with this type of foot support. Has anyone converted from platforms to clipless recently? Any input that would help me make the right choice would be appreciated.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Did you look at the Shimano m324 combo pedal? Not as fancy looking at the M785, but they've been around for years and seem to have pretty good reviews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Platform or clipless pedals?

Yes I was looking at the m324. I'm just wondering if the aluminum cage will hold il ton downhill bashing. Have you tried those?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I JUST got a pair and haven't used them yet. But I have had the Nashbar Rodeo pedals in the past and they worked fine. You used to be able to score them for like $20 with a coupon, but like everything they've gone up some.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Check out crank brothers mallets. I just switched from spd and love the ease of clipping in and out, plus the adjustable pins if you want to ride them as flats.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Yeah, I considered the Crank brothers mallet, but the reviews on them are up and down. Many have pointed out reliability issues. The other thing is that apart from the 29we, I have a road bike and a touring bike all equiped with spd pedals and I use the same shoes for all the bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    I JUST got a pair and haven't used them yet. But I have had the Nashbar Rodeo pedals in the past and they worked fine. You used to be able to score them for like $20 with a coupon, but like everything they've gone up some.
    Are you talking about the m324 or the xt785? Can you give me a rundown once you've tried them a few times?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    M324. I'm not sure when I'll get to check them out though. I'm assembling parts to go onto a tallboy frame so not actually riding right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I'll keep you posted if I go with the m324 and let you know if I like them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I've been riding clipless for about 3 weeks and I'm running shimano m-785. I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I have not had any issues with the m-785. I still have my flats but I don't really miss them. Especially when climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am officially 4 rides into clipless, using crank bros. candy with specialized rime!
    Definitely takes a bit to get into. With mine, I can adjust the angle of release. I have it on the 15degree release. I have stepped down and magically my foot lands on the ground..lol Of course there is the few times when I just fall over..lol I would recommend switching!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I would suggest the m-785 to a newbie or someone who prefers a platform. Easy to clip in and out of and relatively light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nelson73 View Post
    I would suggest the m-785 to a newbie or someone who prefers a platform. Easy to clip in and out of and relatively light.

Thanks for the feedback. Just one question, do you sometimes ride the M-785 without being clipped in? From what I see the platform is merely to help clipping in and can't been ridden with regular shoes for long runs. Another option would be to switch to a platform the few times a year I go downhilling but I would definitely like a pedal that does both a but like the CB Mallet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I will unclip and ride only when things get very technical, but I would not recommend just riding the platform long term. The m-785 will perform better clipped in. My riding buddy uses the cb-mallet 1 dh on his ibis mojo. He loves the mallets but says they are a little tricky getting in and of at first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have Mallet 2's and I can make them as hard or as easy to get into by adjusting the hight of the pins. I have the pins pretty tall so I have to smoosh my foot a little to get clipped in, but I can pop out just as fast as I want. Granted, I've been riding clipless on a road bike since the late 90's so this is familiar territory. Of course, that didn't stop me from falling over at a traffic light yesterday!

With the Mallets I can ride unclipped with no real issue. It's not as wide as a full blown platform pedal, but with the pins tall and a soft compound in my Shimano MT-22 shoes I have no issues pedaling without being clipped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I finally opted for the slx m530 pedals. So far I'm quite satisfied, much better than the Wellgo pedals I first tried and very cheap at Wiggles, only $30. I also bought the sm56 cleats which allow different movements to unclip. I haven't tried them yet, though. I'm keeping them for the new shoes I'm about to buy.
    Thanks to all for the feedback.

mtbr member
    HT flats and a good pair of shoes!

bikerbert

Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    HT flats and a good pair of shoes!
    +1, the AE01's with Teva Links is a killer combo!

mtbr member
    Clipless here.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I love my time pedals been running a set of xc style for 5 years and a set of platform z pedals for longer and both still work perfectly. Mix it up do some time on both see what you prefer. I still swap between flats and clips, I think you benefit from swapping back every now and then develop your skills no matter what pedal you have