mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Pike 120/150. Any hardtailers running one in the 120 position full time?

I want a stiff 120mm travel 29" fork! I dig my Manitou Tower Pro (120mm) but want more fore/aft stiffness. Is anybody running a 150/120 dual air Pike in the 120 mode full time? I have an old 26" Lyrik that is dual position but the shorter travel position does not feel as "nice" as the longer travel one. There is definitely a difference in how the fork feels in the two different modes and the shorter travel one suffers. Its fine because I only use the fork in the short mode for climbs on that bike. But, I am looking to run this fork full time in the shorter mode, so I am more concerned..Anyone know?
    Bonus question, what is the better offset for a 66.5 degree HT angle on a hardtail, the 51 or the stock (I think the Pike stock is 46mm(?))
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by bradg; 12-01-2013 at 05:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    As you can see, I don't post very often but your question caught my eye. I'm running a dual air pike in the 120 mode on a Ventana tandem MTB and I can assure you that it has way nicer characteristics in the short mode than the Talas 34 that I was running previously. So far, very impressed with this fork. Pity you can't get it in all black.

With the offset, don't underestimate how much different your handling will feel going from 51mm to 46mm (assuming you've got 51mm now). It will be noticeably twitchier (the glass half full description would be "more responsive"). You'll quickly get used to it though.

With a 66.5 deg head angle you should be fine with 46mm offset and your tyre should still clear you toes. Go for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the input. I am currently running a Tower at 48mm of offset, on a 67degree headangle hardtail (420mm stays). My next frame will have a slightly slacker headangle (66.5) and I am not sure if I should go with more or less offset...
    I really like to way my bike handles when the fork is locked out, the turning is great. When the fork dips into it's travel, the feel of the bike changes for the worse (it's not the fork, I dig the Tower) and it becomes more of a steerer, instead of a leaner. I usually run a lot of low speed compression dampening to keep the fork tall. It sounds like maybe running more offset (51) would counteract my slacker HA and keep the bike steering instead of leaning.. Sounds like to 46 offset may be best. Thanks!
    Anyone more thoughts on the Pike or the offset issue?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    More offset(51mm) brings the tire contact point forward closer to the axis of the steerer and requires less effort for you to turn the wheel. That's why Trek uses a 51mm offset with a slacker head tube angle on their 29er bikes(G2).
    If your next frame is slacker it seems like you would want the 51mm offset. For 2014 Manitou is offering 51mm offset on some 29 forks.

mtbr member
    I just got off the phone with Rockshox and I had the same question about running the Dual Position Pike full-time in the 120mm position. He said no, it will ruin the internals of the fork bc its not intended to be run full-time in that position. It's only built into the fork as a temporary climbing mode and not for full-time full travel compression. He did say that there may (or may not) be some Pikes in the future (like in a couple months) that will have different travel available, like a 120mm.

Hope that helps.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by homey View Post
    I just got off the phone with Rockshox and I had the same question about running the Dual Position Pike full-time in the 120mm position. He said no, it will ruin the internals of the fork bc its not intended to be run full-time in that position. It's only built into the fork as a temporary climbing mode and not for full-time full travel compression. He did say that there may (or may not) be some Pikes in the future (like in a couple months) that will have different travel available, like a 120mm.

Hope that helps.
    The 120 air spring for the solo air 29er Pike is now available. SRAM PN is 11.4018.026.003
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homey View Post

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for checking, but I don't buy this explaination from SRAM. The construction, as far as I understand, has ports in the damper shaft that are identical for both positions. It's not like you're holding back the fork or restricting the damping operation by running less travel. This is also supported by the feedback from people who already run the fork and claim to feel no difference in sag, damping or performance in the two travel settings.

I am just that SRAM-dude might not completely up to date with the Charger construction. Then again, I might be completely mistaken.

And you might be better off with getting a solo air (non-travel adjustable) and a 120 airspring. Lighter as well.