mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Piggy back shocks on 29er trail bikes

Howdy folks,

A longer travel 29er is in my future, and I was wondering at what point people think about putting on burlier shocks? Basically everything these days comes with an RP23 or whatever the current CTD equivalent is. When do you start seeing real advantages to going to something like a CCDB-A, Vivid Air, etc. Is it silly to think about a shock like this on a 55.5" 29er trail bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Howdy folks,

A longer travel 29er is in my future, and I was wondering at what point people think about putting on burlier shocks? Basically everything these days comes with an RP23 or whatever the current CTD equivalent is. When do you start seeing real advantages to going to something like a CCDB-A, Vivid Air, etc. Is it silly to think about a shock like this on a 55.5" 29er trail bike?
    A couple years ago I was shopping for a 4-5" travel 29er. I wanted to use a CCDB coil shock as it was my favorite on smaller wheeled bikes. Wouldn't fit the Sultan, Rip 9 or Lenz I was eying. WFO 9 would fit a piggy back but I didn't like the steep HA. Tracer T29 wasn't available yet in an XL. I know the newest Sultan has been given clearance for a Piggy back shock and there might be more longer travel 29er that they will fit. The RP23's are sliced white bread and when you really want to tune your suspension look into a hi performance shock. I don't think your average rider wants to tune a shock thus the RP23 works.

beater
    Not silly at all. I have a Vector Air HLR on my (130mm) Prime, and it's great. Whether it works for you may depend on which frame you choose and how worried about weight you are.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    My last full suspension bike was an Intense 5point5 on which I put a Manitou ISX-6 which is/was a highly tune-able air shock with a piggyback. The current incarnation which looks very much the same is the Swinger . I've been eyeing the new Intense Spider 29comp which also comes with some Fox. With the success I've had with the latest 29" Manitou forks and how good the ISX was, I'd like to get one for the Spider. The piggyback has no bearing on the travel of the shock/bike or how aggressive it will be ridden. It merely adds to it's ability to be tuned.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Howdy folks,

It's not about travel, it's about intent--how and what you plan to do with the bike.

For XC use I don't see much benefit to the added tuning options. For bigger hit and park type riding where speeds and drops are greater, being able to separate high and low speed compression is much more important, as well as beginning and ending stroke rebound.

Which frame(s) are you considering?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It's not about travel, it's about intent--how and what you plan to do with the bike.

For XC use I don't see much benefit to the added tuning options. For bigger hit and park type riding where speeds and drops are greater, being able to separate high and low speed compression is much more important, as well as beginning and ending stroke rebound.

Which frame(s) are you considering?
    This is likely to be my only bike, so I'm looking for something that I won't hate pedaling up big climbs. I'm thinking carbon, so right now: Tallboy LTc, Spider 29 Comp, as yet unannounced Niner long travel carbon bike.

I currently ride a Tallboy carbon.