mtbr member

Pf30 experience?!

TRYING TO DECIDE WHETHER TO RUN A BB30 CRANK ON MY PF30 FRAME(NINER AIR 9 ALLOY) OR TO RUN SOME SORT OF AN ADAPTOR AND JUST USE XT OR XTR CRANKS.

-IVE HERD SOOOO MANY BAD THINGS ABOUT PF30 THAT I AM JUST NOT SURE ANYMORE SO ANY FEEDBACK AND EXPERIENCE/RECOMMENDATION WITH EITHER SETUP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED IN HELPING A RELATIVE NEWBIE WITH HIS FIRST BUILD
    -tHANKS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been running a BB30 crank in a PF30 frame for several years now and have had no issues at all with it. It's been quiet, smooth spinning, and long lasting. I say the fewer adaptors the better so go with the BB30 crank if you can.

/easy on the caps tho bro

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine.NC View Post
    TRYING TO DECIDE WHETHER TO RUN A BB30 CRANK ON MY PF30 FRAME(NINER AIR 9 ALLOY) OR TO RUN SOME SORT OF AN ADAPTOR AND JUST USE XT OR XTR CRANKS.

-IVE HERD SOOOO MANY BAD THINGS ABOUT PF30 THAT I AM JUST NOT SURE ANYMORE SO ANY FEEDBACK AND EXPERIENCE/RECOMMENDATION WITH EITHER SETUP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED IN HELPING A RELATIVE NEWBIE WITH HIS FIRST BUILD
    -tHANKS
    PF30 is a non issue with these new products from Wheels Manufacturing.

Wheels Mfg PF30 Outboard Bottom Brackets

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I read many squeak/noise issues with PF30 so I purchased the Praxis Conversion to use my XT and XTR cranks in the BB30 frame. But I took the plunge and went full on PF30 with the Specialized S Works crank and their oem bb.

If anyone is looking for a new in box Praxis 73mm Conversion I've got one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    I've been running a BB30 crank in a PF30 frame for several years now and have had no issues at all with it. It's been quiet, smooth spinning, and long lasting. I say the fewer adaptors the better so go with the BB30 crank if you can.

Would you mind letting me know which PF30 and crank you are using and if there are any other PF bottom brackets you could recommend-thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I read many squeak/noise issues with PF30 so I purchased the Praxis Conversion to use my XT and XTR cranks in the BB30 frame. But I took the plunge and went full on PF30 with the Specialized S Works crank and their oem bb.

So has your new setup been trouble free?

Elitest thrill junkie
    BElow
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH MY PF30 BB, IT'S RAN VERY GOOD. DID SWITCH OUT ONE BEARING AFTER A SEASON, BUT IT WAS MOSTLY MY FAULT FOR NOT PUTTING A DUST SEAL BACK IN THERE WHEN I SWITCHED CRANKS MONTHS BEFORE. IF YOU DO TRASH THE BEARINGS, THEY ARE VERY CHEAP TO GET FROM ENDUROBEARINGS/REAL WORLD CYCLING. THE NEWER PF30 SETUPS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH BETTER. WITH AS MANY QUALITY CRANKS ARE AVAILABLE IN PF30 NOW I DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO GO WITH AN ADAPTER. I'D LIKE ALL NEW BIKES TO REMAIN WITH THE ENGLISH THREAD AND SHIMANO SETUP, BUT RACEFACE AND TRUVATIV EXTERNAL BB SETUPS AREN'T ALL THAT GREAT EITHER IN THE AREA OF BEARINGS.
    thIS.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Would you mind letting me know which PF30 and crank you are using and if there are any other PF bottom brackets you could recommend-thanks
    Sure, I'm running a SRAM s2200 crankset with a SRAM PF30 bottom bracket. This is on a Moots RSL frame setup as a SS.

mtbr member

your setup

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post

what pf30 bottom bracket and BB30 crank are you using?

mtbr member
    sorry ignore my last post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post

So how much would you sell the the adaptor for and you said it is brand news, never used?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I ran the press fit plastic adapter for external cups and not a fan. They did not ride flush against the bottom bracket. Those Wheels MFG threaded bottom brackets look quite nice and if I had not bit the bullet and invested in carbon 30 mm cranks, I would be looking at that option as I hate the creaking BB30. The wheels mfg external bearing threaded bottom bracket looks like a solid solution. If I was purchasing a new set of cranks, I would look really hard at that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Re: Pf30 experience?!

Mine creaked like crazy using both a 24mm crank with adapter as well as a bb30 crank and sram bb. Ended up dumping the frame for a Santa Cruz since they still use threaded.

Press fit BBs are not for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    Mine creaked like crazy using both a 24mm crank with adapter as well as a bb30 crank and sram bb. Ended up dumping the frame for a Santa Cruz since they still use threaded.

Press fit BBs are not for me.
    What adaptor did you use, I'm leaning towards the praxis bc every review seems positive....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    PF30 is a non issue with these new products from Wheels Manufacturing.

Wheels Mfg PF30 Outboard Bottom Brackets
    Interesting product, seems like a solution to a problem that didn't exist before the problem arose out of new/improved product development.

How's that adapter affect the Q-factor of the cranks? About the same as if it was a threaded BB? Or wider, since I thought press-fit bottom brackets were wider since the bearings were moved inboard and pressfit cranks are essentially flush with the edges of the PF bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Been running PF30 for 2 years, no issues. Specy frame. I have replaced the PF30 BB once with a direct SRAM replacement. Buddy of mine rides a Niner Air 9 and went with a PF30 to threaded adapter as he had a perfectly good SLX crank he was using. He has had no issues. To me, go with the PF30 unless you have a reason to go threaded.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I've ordered a Chris King PF30 - I have high expectations of it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    I imagine you will be all set with that...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Pf30 experience?!

What adaptor did you use, I'm leaning towards the praxis bc every review seems positive....
    Parlee. They creaked less than the sram pf30 bb. The praxis one looks pretty solid, decided to dump the spearfish in favor of a tallboy, so I never went the praxis route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Use some high quality Finish Line copper infused anti seize and you'll be set for a long long long time!

I have a CK bb on my Stumpy and never had any issues.... even in the winter months. The stock SRAM BB went in three months though.

mtbr member
    so i bit the bullet so to say and am going to take my chances with the pf30 system because i know if setup correctly with the rite bottom bracket it can certainly work(as evidence of others) so i have a beautiful xx1 crank on order that i got for a awesome price and want to know WHAT PF30 BOTTOM BRACKETS YOU ALL HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH OR ANY RECOMMENDATIONS for quality bottom brackets-thanks guys...and gals
    -P.S: thanks Cenzobear for that tip i will certainly try that

mtbr member
    so i bit the bullet so to say and am going to take my chances with the pf30 system because i know if setup correctly with the rite bottom bracket it can certainly work(as evidence of others) so i have a beautiful xx1 crank on order that i got for a awesome price and want to know WHAT PF30 BOTTOM BRACKETS YOU ALL HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH OR ANY RECOMMENDATIONS for quality bottom brackets-thanks guys...and gals
    -P.S: thanks Cenzobear for that tip i will certainly try that
    Since you are going to run a 30mm crank, my vote would be to get a Chris Kind PF bottom bracket.

That is DEFINITELY what I would do IF IT WERE ME.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member

Pf30 experience?!

YES MY VOTE FOR CHRIS KING AS WELL. (Just keeping up the caps lock fad around here )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    Have any of you personally tried the chris king pf30?