mtbr member
    Nov 2011

PF30 Bottom Bracket which one?

I'm planning to buy Salsa Spearfish which requires a PF30 type Bottom Bracket. I have no experience of these so I 'd like to hear your experience of them. Are they running them reliably with problem-free operation? Which is the best unit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Are you looking to run 30mm cranks or 24mm? I'm not sure you have a lot of choices out there if you're looking to run 30mm. Just go with the SRAM. If 24mm, I recommend the one from Praxis.

EDIT: As for personal experience, I've been using 24mm cranks in a Spearfish. I've had less than stellar success using the PF30 BB with adapters and the Truvativ threaded adapter shell. I've only got a handful of rides on the Praxis, but it's the first solution I've seen that actually looks well engineered for the application.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ah I can see I need some more education on this topic. I had originally hoped to put my XT 10-speed cranks on with an adaptor but I heard that's not a great solution. Tell me more about the praxis and the crank options available.
    Cheers, Tim.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Ah I can see I need some more education on this topic. I had originally hoped to put my XT 10-speed cranks on with an adaptor but I heard that's not a great solution. Tell me more about the praxis and the crank options available.
    Cheers, Tim.
    If you want to use the XT crank, just get the Praxis BB and be done with it.
    Praxis Works | Conversion Kit
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Cheers, Tim.
    In that case, the Praxis adapter is the only thing I can recommend. I had poor experiences with all of the other adapter options. It's not cheap, but I spent 2x as much trying adapters before buying the Praxis. It's made to work with Shimano cranks so that'll get you what you want.
    BB30 Conversion Kit BB - 73mm