Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pedals???

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pedals???

Well first post here and been reading in for awhile now. Just wanted some opinions on pedals since there happen to be like 500 kinds. I am wanting a grippy platform pedal and looking at twenty6 predators and maybe the crampon ultimates. Anybody have these or got any recommendations that are light? Thanks for your time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Pedals???

So many threads on this topic. Let me sum it up for you:

Crampon Ultimate, Spank Spike.

There are cheaper pedals out there which some will argue give you more bang for your buck, but if you want the best, look no further than these two. The Predators are overpriced, and are no better than the CU or SS.

I run the Crampons, and think they're a notch above the Spikes.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Depends on what you're looking for. Weight savings ? Low price? Threaded/replaceable pins?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pedals???

Well low weight and I not worried about price as long as they are reliable. I just want a good grippy pedal. Thanks

mtbr member
    Also look at Straitline De Factos or Amps
    and
    Point One Podiums

mtbr member

Pedals???

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysrubi View Post
    Well low weight and I not worried about price as long as they are reliable. I just want a good grippy pedal. Thanks

I know I've already said it, but the Crampons are the way to go. Super thin, light, and grippy as hell. I spent a little time on the Spanks and beat the crap out of my shins because they're not as grippy as the Crampons. People swear by the Spikes, though, and I still think they're one of the best of the market.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Picked up a set of Crampon Ultimates today which replaced the Wellgo MG-1s I've had for a few years. Really happy with them on the first ride. Good grip and pedal strikes are definitely going to be a thing of the past. Going from my Wellgos to the Canfields was a night and day difference. Even though I've only ridden them once I can say they're something I would certainly recommend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pedals???

Well looks like I will be going with the ultimates. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    I went a bit cheaper for my pedals and picked up the Deity Compound pedals. Relatively inexpensive (about $50) and they grip really well for me. They're also pretty thin.

Just another option.

mtbr member
    can you run Canfield Crampons on a 29er? I am pretty certain those are 26" only. they are working on a pedal for 6-9ers and 650b, but they have not quite nailed the 29" pedal yet. I really wish someone would make a 29er specific pedal.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    can you run Canfield Crampons on a 29er? I am pretty certain those are 26" only. they are working on a pedal for 6-9ers and 650b, but they have not quite nailed the 29" pedal yet. I really wish someone would make a 29er specific pedal.
    I was gonna say... those are 26er specific pedals. They aren't meant for the higher bottom brackets of a 29er. You reeeeallly don't want those on a 29er. They will cause toe overlap. *snicker*

mtbr member

Pedals???

Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    I went a bit cheaper for my pedals and picked up the Deity Compound pedals. Relatively inexpensive (about $50) and they grip really well for me. They're also pretty thin.

Just another option.
    I guess I'm a bit of a pedal whore. I've had these, too, and think they're the best pedals you can buy for under $100. I particularly like how, if you strike your pedal on a rock, the compound slips right off more often than a pedal of another material - almost like a bar of soap unless, of course, you snag a pin. With the Crampons, though, you just won't have to deal with that almost at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pedals???

I am sure there is plenty of people running the crampons on 29ers.

mtbr member

Pedals???

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysrubi View Post
    I am sure there is plenty of people running the crampons on 29ers.

He's either not serious or seriously stupid. Either way, I'm running mine on a RIP 9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If it hain't been said yet, it will be:

Pedals, sure, get a decent ones like mentioned above, but the shoes matter probably more: Get 5:10s, Freeriders, Impacts... But don't wear sneaks or you'll fold yr flippers if you're riding hard at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And, yeah, you have to get the 29er-specific 5:10's... I think they're called the Douchebagger Middy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If grip is what you are after, go for clipless pedals and get shoes/cleats. If you are worried about getting out quick, keep them loose at first until you are use to them. They also make converters to platform pedals if you wanna change it up easily.
    Just my preference
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer
    Be Awesome

mtbr member
    I use clipless pedals on my road bike, but I'm a long way from being comfortable doing it on a trail. Setting them loose can help, but it's just not the same as having your foot free to prevent a fall. I would love to be able to go clipless, especially for climbing, but I'm not willing to risk it at my skill level.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm with ya on being nervous - I am extremely new to mtn biking, but didn't have much of a choice - I was borrowing a bike that had clipless. Didn't take long to get adjusted to using them. It helps that they were loose. They were so loose that after some really hard bumps my cleats would unclip - and it was a bigger pain riding like that. I guess I am just used to them and so far have been able to get out in a hurry (KEY!!!)
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer
    Be Awesome

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Either way - the OP should do whatever s/he is most comfortable with - but clipless on a climb can't be beat
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer
    Be Awesome

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pedals???

I just like riding platforms. I got some freeriders and impacts and I love them both. Just looking for a grippier pedal because I am just not comfortable doing clipless. Thanks again for the comments.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    I use clipless pedals on my road bike, but I'm a long way from being comfortable doing it on a trail. Setting them loose can help, but it's just not the same as having your foot free to prevent a fall. I would love to be able to go clipless, especially for climbing, but I'm not willing to risk it at my skill level.
    So stop being a puss and just do it. It ain't that hard. SPDs are nothing like those big roadie cleats. You can loosen them up so you just fall out of them, if you really want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    So stop being a puss and just do it. It ain't that hard. SPDs are nothing like those big roadie cleats. You can loosen them up so you just fall out of them, if you really want.
    Where's that finger emoticon ...

I use SPDs on my road bike. I've never tried to loosen them that much though. That might be worth a try.

mtbr member
    Grippy and light - Origin 8 Proform UL's. I just weighed mine at 267g for the pair and I couldn't be happier with the grip level. I picked mine up for just under 60 bucks and it was one of the best upgrades for the bike I have made to date.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    He's either not serious or seriously stupid. Either way, I'm running mine on a RIP 9.
    Its called sarcasm.. You know, since pedals ARENT wheel size specific... and this question being posted in a subforum dedicated to the discussion of 29er specific parts..
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast