mtbr member
    Mar 2013

pedal ruined threads!!! please help

Good evening friends,

Tonight I went for a ride on a pretty easy course here in ohio (Findlay State Park) towards the end of my ride I noticed my pedal felt strange like it was bent then within thirty seconds it was falling out and completely stripped the threads on "crank arm" (I'm not sure if thats the correct terminology). The Bike is a 2012 Trek XCal and I've only taken it out for 3 rides. It was assembled by "Eddys Bike Shop" and I purchased it there like 45 days ago. To me this seems like a warranty issue. Is this something you that would be covered under a manufacture defect warranty? If not what do you guys suggest I do? Can I just buy that new arm piece? Thanks for any help in advance

mtbr member
    You would certainly be able to go back to them about it because that was related to a pedal not being installed tight enough. In some cases it can be fixed with a tap, but the arm may need to be replaced and might not be individually available. Of course that would be irrelevant if it is a warranty of labor issue since it would be on them.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Ninja Master Powers
    Yep, that exact same thing happened to my son brand new Nomad.

First ride about two mikes from the car on the way back he says to me "it feels like my pedals bent" about 10 seconds later the pedal fell off.

It gets better though. I took the bike to the shop we got it from the next morning; first thing the guy says is " how'd you do that did you crash".

When I told him no the pedal was installed there the day before and was either cross threaded or loose; he asks me "you didn't check the pedals before you rode the bike ?"

Then he says "we'll have to order a new crank set it'll be at least a week, maybe a couple days longer before it gets here".

So I look over and see another Nomad with the exact build kit and I tell him no, here's what we're going to do; your taking that crank set off that Nomad and putting on this bike. If you don't want to that, that's okay, but if that's the case I'm returning this bike today.

30 minutes later I left with the new crank set on my sons bike and won't ever be going back into that store again.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    check if your pedal bearing has seized and it has wound itself off. In which case it's no ones fault but should be warrantee issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Im very curious...What would cause this to happen? The only thing I could think of is they installed the pedals backwards and destroyed the threads. Pedals do not require much torque at all, and if they weren't tightened enough, it doesn't seem possible for it to strip the threads...unless, of course, it was a bad crank to begin with.

Not trying to start a war, I've seen many bikes come and go...but never seen this happen if they were installed correctly to begin with...only when the personal installing doesnt realize there is a dedicated left and right pedal. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    wouldn't the pedal tighten itself instead of backing out?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    wouldn't the pedal tighten itself instead of backing out?
    Unlikely someone could thread a pedal all the way in wrongly without noticing. I know pedals will unwind themselves just because it has happened to me. A cheap pair of pedals past their used by date seized and I pedalled one of them off. It is quite possible to damage the threads in the process. I guess this is not what happened to George though as it's pretty obvious if you look at the pedal.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If all of the threads were completely stripped, it isn't because the pedal spindle backed out and then damaged the threads on the way out. If the pedal became loose, and then fell out, it would likely only have damaged the last few threads just before it fell out. If all of the threads are damaged, it is because the pedal was cross-threaded to begin with.

If it only damaged a couple of threads, you could likely run a tap or even just a bolt in from the back side of the crank arm, and get the remaining threads back in shape and they should hold a pedal just fine. At least that has been my experience when I have seen this happen.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Yep, that exact same thing happened to my son brand new Nomad.

First ride about two mikes from the car on the way back he says to me "it feels like my pedals bent" about 10 seconds later the pedal fell off.

It gets better though. I took the bike to the shop we got it from the next morning; first thing the guy says is " how'd you do that did you crash".

When I told him no the pedal was installed there the day before and was either cross threaded or loose; he asks me "you didn't check the pedals before you rode the bike ?"

Then he says "we'll have to order a new crank set it'll be at least a week, maybe a couple days longer before it gets here".

So I look over and see another Nomad with the exact build kit and I tell him no, here's what we're going to do; your taking that crank set off that Nomad and putting on this bike. If you don't want to that, that's okay, but if that's the case I'm returning this bike today.

30 minutes later I left with the new crank set on my sons bike and won't ever be going back into that store again.
    So, they did exactly what you want, but you won't be going back there again? Does not compute.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by georgehitch17 View Post
    Good evening friends,

Tonight I went for a ride on a pretty easy course here in ohio (Findlay State Park) towards the end of my ride I noticed my pedal felt strange like it was bent then within thirty seconds it was falling out and completely stripped the threads on "crank arm" (I'm not sure if thats the correct terminology). The Bike is a 2012 Trek XCal and I've only taken it out for 3 rides. It was assembled by "Eddys Bike Shop" and I purchased it there like 45 days ago. To me this seems like a warranty issue. Is this something you that would be covered under a manufacture defect warranty? If not what do you guys suggest I do? Can I just buy that new arm piece? Thanks for any help in advance
    I wouldn't think this is a "manufacture defect". It is more likely that the shop you purchased the bicycle from did a poor job assembling the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    So, they did exactly what you want, but you won't be going back there again? Does not compute.
    The shop accused him of being at fault and then he had to twist their arm before they would make it right. I wouldn't go back either.

It seems to be a fairly common opinion here on mtbr that hand tightening pedals is perfectly OK., I hope this and other similar stories will convince them it's really not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had a pedal come out in this way. The threads were stripped, but I managed to screw the pedal back on from the other side to clean up the threads and then got the pedal back on the right way. I check my pedals periodically now along with QRs (yeah had a wheel fall off during a small jump) and chain rings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's likely that the thread was stripped by over tightening.

However it happened I don't see how they could argue that it's your fault unless you installed the pedals. Get them to sort it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I called up Eddys Bike shop yesterday morning and told them about the issue. They said it shouldn't be a problem and told me to bring the bike in(which had me nervouse because I live a hour away and didn't want to waste a trip). They did mention that they didn't have any bikes with the Sram S1000 crank and said it would take a few days to get it repaired but I figured I would have to drop it off eventually. The person I talked to when I got there checked it out and said no problem then mentioned that he had found a new S1000 on a bike in the back. They took care of it free of charge and no hassle. I decided to upgrade to clipless pedals while I was there and this was a first for me, what a difference those made! the ease of pedaling is so nice and I can focus on the trail instead of what my feet are doing on the platforms! Eddy's has great customer service and a good selection of parts. I am still a very satisfied customer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That kind of service keeps a you coming back as well as spreading good word about the shop. I get great service from the shop I deal with and great prices and I send all my friends there, one hand washes the other.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY