mtbr member
    May 2013

Pedal design....

Hi everyone, first post so a quick intro. I recently bought my first "real" bike (specilized hardrock). I mostly just ride around town with a few trails mixed in when I go camping.. I've wore out/broken the "tabs" that are supposed to give me grip on the stock plastic pedals and want to upgrade....

By trade I am a CNC machinist with full knowledge of cad/cam software and most of the time I spend 6-7 hours passing the time while a part is running in my mill. So I figured I would try and build my own custom pedals ( one off set just for personal use) I know I could buy a set , but I like to make things myself, and pretty much all my materials and powder coating is free and I have to free time to do it while on the clock....

My plan is to do a design similar to the xpedo face off, I like the simplicity of having the main piece with the cages bolted on.

My question to you all is when it comes to the spindle. I plan on using some grade 5 titanium that we have extra of at the shop. With 9/16 threads on the end and 1/2 dia. The rest of the way into two sealed roller bearings in each end of the main housing. Will 1/2 be
    strong enough? I'm not sure what dia. A stock spindle is?

mtbr member
    No idea on spindle but I would run a double bearing on the outside or bushing. Its a heavily loaded point and all the single bearing designs always seem to fail prematurely.

Ill throw the calipers on mine tomorrow and get you a measurement...

mtbr member
    It's impressive that you want to build your own pedals, I'd would just go buy a set of Crank Bros. Eggbeaters and call it a day.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I could buy a set, but honestly I would like to build my own. I don't do any "hard core" riding or anything so I don't feel like there's much danger if the pedal fails for some reason.........

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice little project.

There are manufacturers of titanium spindles so it's probably best to copy one of their designs seeing as they're tried and tested...

Home Page

Action Tec