banned
    Aug 2012

Out of these 2 which is the fastest rolling tire?

I am going to be racing in couple of months and was wondering which is a faster rolling tire between the Maxxis Crossmark UST 2.1 and the Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25?

I am asking because I actually have a pair of Crossmarks and a pair Racing Ralphs.

I was riding the Crossmarks in both the front and rear for a while and was very satisfied with its performance as a rear tire but not so much as a front tire. So, I switched it back to my Rocket Ron which is an amazing front tire. (Lots of bite in the corners).

I have the Racing Ralphs mounted on my other bike which I don't ride as often. So, far I have not been able to notice any difference in rolling resistance between the Crossmark and Racing Ralph.

When my race comes up I want to switch the rear tire with either the Crossmark or Racing Ralph depending on which tire is faster. Does anyone who has tried both tires know which one of the 2 is the faster roller?

Also how do the Continental Race Kings compare to both the Crossmark and Racing Ralph in terms of rolling resistance? My LBS has a sale on them and I am thinking of picking up a pair.
    Last edited by Cycling Cyco; 09-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.

cowbell
    Part of the answer to this question is going to be based on soil/surface types. Then, as you've pointed out, there's a matter of confidence in the tire's ability to bite. If you have to slow down because you aren't certain of the tire, it doesn't matter how fast it rolls. Lastly, I would point out something a lot of people miss entirely when it comes to selecting a race tire, because they want the fastest, lightest tire available, and that's reliability. Remember, in order to finish first, first you have to finish. Lighter tires tend to be more prone to damage/flats. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ralph for the win, and significantly thinner wallet. In my experience, rear only, with the Ron up front.

Never felt like I could really push the Ralph up front in corners as hard/fast as I wanted to, and I remember reading years ago on some German site that ~2/3 of an mtb's rolling resistance comes from the back.

No experience with the Conti's.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For rolling resistance only do the roll down the hill test From a mark at the top roll until you stop and mark. Repeat with all combinations.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post

Also how do the Continental Race Kings compare to both the Crossmark and Racing Ralph in terms of rolling resistance? My LBS has a sale on them and I am thinking of picking up a pair.
    I found the Conti's Race King to be the best .... RR's and Crossmarks seemed wimpy to me and the RR's didn't last but a few months in New England rocks .. (all were the "basic" version, no Snake skins or anything) The Race Kings cleared pine needles and such WAY better than either of the other 2 also. (I ride early morning in forests with pine trees mixed in, morning dew and pine needles make for a quick slick ) They are a tad heavier but the added traction I found much more to my liking.... I don't race though and only used it on the back.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post
    I am going to be racing in couple of months and was wondering which is a faster rolling tire between the Maxxis Crossmark UST 2.1 and the Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25?
    Tests already done and completed on the wheels and tires forum. Racing Ralph and Maxxis Ikon both trump the Crossmark for rolling resistance.

BB

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    +1 on the Conti Race Kings. I've found them to be very fast rolling and *way* grippier than I'd expected.