MJ1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Optimum rim width for XC 2.25 tires

I have posed this question in a couple of different formats but I will try again to get a definitive answer (if that's possible on a forum!). For general XC trail and race, with a 2.25 tire front and rear, what is the best ID for a rim? LB rims at 23mm, Rovals at 22mm, or Derby at 29mm? I'm not a heavy-weight at 160 lbs but I want a wheelset that will help me in the corners and downhills. Help me please!

mtbr member
    Most XC bikes with 2.25 tires seem to come with 19mm rims so I would say 22/23 would be a nice upgrade, I would say over 25 is probably not giving you any additional benefit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    To the Point: Bill Shook on Wheels and Wide Rims - Pinkbike

From the interview--
    " Where do you imagine the width of mountain bike rims and tires will end up, once tire makers join up with the concept?

First off and most obvious, the tires need to fit through the frame. I don't think there is one ideal size for all applications. For cross-country racing, the ideal size is a 32-millimeter-wide rim like my Wide Lightning. I chose 32 millimeters after watching our pro riders in the US and Europe over the years. I started these riders with rim widths at 24 millimeters wide, then 26 millimeters, each with reductions in tire casing size and weight, Then I tried 28 millimeters with a subsequent reduction of tire casing size and weight. In watching this progression, I saw that the profile of the tire on the rim (as a unit) was going more and more towards a half-circle shape (hemispherical tire profile). I took it to its conclusion and the sweet spot is at 32 millimeters wide, as it is the maximum lightest casing with the best tire profile. If you go beyond that to, say, 36 millimeters wide, you get negative returns, because the shape of the tire on the rim exceeds the optimum hemispherical shape."
    Last edited by eb1888; 11-27-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
    I have posed this question in a couple of different formats but I will try again to get a definitive answer (if that's possible on a forum!). For general XC trail and race, with a 2.25 tire front and rear, what is the best ID for a rim? LB rims at 23mm, Rovals at 22mm, or Derby at 29mm? I'm not a heavy-weight at 160 lbs but I want a wheelset that will help me in the corners and downhills. Help me please!
    ID of 21-23mm