mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Opinion on wheels...

I recently purchased a new fork and am in need of a new axle since my current setup has a 9QR and my new fork has a 20mm. Instead of dropping $70 on just a front axle, I figured I'd look into getting a new set of wheels while I'm at it. I honestly don't know much about what wheels are good, ect. as I'm relatively new to this but I have read a lot of good things regarding the ZTR Flow wheels as far as bang for buck goes (I'm not looking to spend a fortune)...

So, I came across this set of Flows for $250. Stans ZTR Flow X9 29er Wheelset - Hammerheadbikes.com From what I can tell, it seems like a pretty good deal. Am I overlooking something? Are the X9 hubs the main reason these wheels are so cheap?

I'm open to any other recommendations as well...

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Stans came out with upgraded models of the Flow and Arch rims, dubbed "EX" as in Flow EX. I suspect the ones your looking at are the older model. Still a great rim. For that price, grab 'em.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    One thing you may have overlooked- the rear hub in that set is 142x12. It's likely that your current bikes frame is 135x10 QR and that hub won't fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

big-daddy, I think you may be correct. I checked the specs (I have a 2012 Giant Talon 1) and it didn't specify but the rear axle is indeed a QR. I guess my search continues...

Any other recommendations? How do the prices compare buying a pre-built wheelset versus buying the rims and hubs separate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Look at the Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp wheels. Do the research and see if they suit your riding and goals.

Front wheel comes with 9qr, 15 & 20mm adapters for the hubs. I just picked up a set today for $310 OTD.

Performance bicycle sale for $329, but Tuesdays from 12-2pm they do an additional 10% off.

mtbr member
    These are a pretty good deal with Tubeless Ready rims.
    http://www.hammerheadbikes.com/wtb-f...set-20mm-thru/

The XT rear hub is every bit as good (IMO better) than the X9 hub.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    How good are the ZTR ARCH EX rims? Are these the new ones you're referring to? Is there a difference in the Flow vs Arch rims?
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    These are a pretty good deal with Tubeless Ready rims.
    WTB Frequency i19 TCS XT Wheelset - 20mm Thru - Hammerheadbikes.com

The XT rear hub is every bit as good (IMO better) than the X9 hub.
    I saw those as well and thought they looked like a pretty good deal considering their only $200. My only concern was that they were more geared towards XC than Trail/AM which is what the majority of my riding consists of... Any idea of their width?

Same goes for the Black Flags... There is a set of experts for $300 on that same website. It says they are built for XC/Trail use and are 24mm wide.

I just want something that's going to hold up to the rigors of my riding style. Although I'd like to keep the price down, I suppose there's no sense in buying a set of wheels to only have them fail...
    Last edited by cj_desmit; 10-02-2012 at 10:30 PM.

B.Ike
    I believe the deal on x9/flows is great. The only concern w/x9's on the rear hub is low points of engagement, (I think only 12). If your riding is very technical this might be a problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I would have jumped on the Flows however I realized the rear hub will not fit my bike... I believe I need a 9x135 QR (2012 Giant Talon 1)

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I have been riding the Handspun Flow/X9 wheel set for quite a while now on my HT.

They are well built and remain true. As mentioned, the compromise at this price point is the rear hub. The engagement is noticeable at times but I'm also using them as SS wheels. The rear freewheel became a bit noisy/rough and my LBS called SRAM. They were not helpful and told the LBS I would have to buy a whole new hub as they didn't sell replacement free wheels. They experimented until they discovered that its a Joytech freewheel. It's certainly not high end.

Overall : nice set for the price with some compromises due to the price point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    buy the rims at $50 each and have a shop build some hubs to them. The old flows are great rims, no doubt. They've just been replaced with a wider version recently, hence the closeout. They're typically in the 80-90 dollar range.