mtbr member
    Dec 2013

not bent hub - just break in looseness to be tightened

Shimano 629 rear hub, built with a RhynoLite 700c rim. Straight 14 gauge spokes. 32h.

And last night, I had it on the stand and was tuning it up and noticed something odd.
    When I spin the rear wheel...
    the cassette wobbles. Hm. That's not right.

The whole housing appears to be bent. This wheel could not have more than 40 miles on it. Only 11 of which are would I would consider a light fire road and the rest would be pavement. I sure don't remember hitting a curb hard.

But ya, I think this hub housing is bent.

It's only a $40 hub but I built this wheel myself, so I feel like I put more than $40 of time into it.

I'm gonna use a better hub next time!

The Shimano marketing makes you think that the "525" hub is not strong enough for certain "29er" applications. So that's why I got a "629" hub.
    Last edited by adamlaneus; 12-18-2013 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bent Hub Housing.. dont think ive heard that one before
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by adamlaneus View Post
    Shimano 629 rear hub, built with a RhynoLite 700c rim. Straight 14 gauge spokes. 32h.

And last night, I had it on the stand and was tuning it up and noticed something odd.
    When I spin the rear wheel...
    the cassette wobbles. Hm. That's not right.

The whole housing appears to be bent. This wheel could not have more than 40 miles on it. Only 11 of which are would I would consider a light fire road and the rest would be pavement. I sure don't remember hitting a curb hard.

But ya, I think this hub housing is bent.

It's only a $40 hub but I built this wheel myself, so I feel like I put more than $40 of time into it.

I'm gonna use a better hub next time!

The Shimano marketing makes you think that the "525" hub is not strong enough for certain "29er" applications. So that's why I got a "629" hub.
    Check the freehub bolt. It may have backed out. Remove the axle and bearings, and in the middle there is a 10mm big ass hollow allen bolt that holds the freehub body to the hub.

If any of that stuff is busted but the shell is still good, it's easy enough to replace the axle (like, a $12 axle, $10 for other related parts) or the freehub body (about a $45 part). If the freehub body is trashed, it's cheaper to buy a new hub and rob it for the freehub body.

I blew up my M770 XT freehub body over the summer (29er, super low granny gear, 180mm cranks, super steep hill and I stomped on it too hard with my 210 pound behind, and 20 pounds of camping gear on my bikepacking bike). I was only a few miles from my house, so I rode it home fixie style!

I found a replacement XT M770 hub for cheap and did a freehub transplant. Bonus points for the killer XT rear skewer that went to another bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good advice there. I'll crack it open and see what's up. Since it's so new, it seems like this may well be a "something is loose" sort of break in issue.

This 629 hub is not on a wheel I use a lot. So it doesn't keep me off the road to tear it apart and see what's up.

The wheel I put most of my miles on is a Chris King hub. I'm way way way way spoiled. It seems to be nice, the CK hub. Huh.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How much does the cassette wobble? I've seen a little on pretty much every rear hub I've really looked at.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    How much does the cassette wobble? I've seen a little on pretty much every rear hub I've really looked at.

x2

A little wobble is pretty normal and nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Yes a little hub wobble is due to machining tolerances in either the hub, free hub, or cassette. That's three tolerances that have to be perfect to make the cassette run perfectly. Real life problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I wish I had been more perceptive earlier when I built this wheel, so I don't know if I bent something or if it came like that.
    but I guess I've never seen a wobble like this before.
    Not enough to apparently affect the drivetrain, but the 36T sprocket would wobble from side to side maybe a millimeter. And you can _see_ it. Looks bent to me.

I've got a CK hub on the bike now, and I can detect no movement of this sort. Solid.

Later on when i've got a working commute bike, i'll take a good close look at this hub and see if I can find anything upon disassembly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Okay. so the title of my first thread is completely wrong.

The hub shell itself looks fine.
    It's the cassette that's wonky.

When I move the cassette with my fingers, I feel play. And this is with the cassette tightened to 40nm. i bet when i get in there, i'll find a loose bolt as stated earlier.

thanks!

not bent. Not screwed up it seems. just a break in issue.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have had the fixing bolt come loose before and the results are bad if left to get worse. With that said, it isn't unusual to get a bit of wobble there even if everything is tight.

You'll have to remove the axle to get at the fixing bolt. The fixing bolt will require either a 10mm or 11mm allen wrench to tighten or loosen it. Not a difficult job if you're familiar with the Shimano cup/cone bearing system.

Rub it............
    As mentioned before the cassette free hub body has some slight variances in it that isn't really noticable until a cassette is installed. The wobble your feeling is exaggerated by the cassette.

Dollars to donuts that your just seeing the normal free hub body wobble that most lower end hubs have. Just make sure that the freehub body fixing bolt is tight and the cassette lockring is tight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes. Donut dollar time:

This 'looseness' I complain about is just how these hubs are. They work fine. This is entirely normal. Nothing to 'repair'.

Amazing i've never noticed this before. Or maybe I did and ignored it.