mtbr member
    Oct 2011

North Shore Billet x9 crank adapter

I've searched and searched and can't get this question answered:

I have a '12 Scalpel 3 that I've changed the crank to x9 39/26. I now realize that the 26t small ring is still too big and want to go down to 24t. The BB30 X9 crank is 120/80 BCD and 39/26 is as small as I can go. I really want to get to 38/24 w/o bash guard.

I see a company, North Shore Billet, makes spider adapters to take my X9 BB30 120/80 crank to 104/64 BCD, which makes lots of chain rings available.

So, pricing this all out, about $50 for the adapter and then we start looking at chainrings. I see a SRAM X9 38/24t 104/64 BCD GXP kit on various sites for about $130.

Can I use those chainrings with the North Shore adapter and get to where I want to be AND have the ability to go lower in the future. More specifically, are the chainrings on that set any different from my X9 rings? Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this.

beater

North Shore Billet x9 crank adapter

Basically you just need to replace your spider with one that has a smaller BCD so that you can fit smaller chainrings. NSB makes some great products and do quality work, but you can get everything you need- spider and chainrings, in one kit from SRAM.

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/product...conversion-kit
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, I've seen that on the SRAM website, but it appears to be vaporware. The GXP version is available, but not BB30.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Update to the original question: Today I received the NSB adapter and bolted on chainrings from the SRAM GXP kit (got it from Ebay for good price). Had the shorten the chain by one link and adjust the front derailleur, but it works. I'll go for a ride tomorrow and check out my new lower gears. Big mountains here I come!